Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - The Unpopular Disney Opinion Thread!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

The Unpopular Disney Opinion Thread!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: The Unpopular Disney Opinion Thread! Reply with quote

I thought this would be a fun little diversion from the norm on the forum. We all obviously love the Disney movies and parks. Why would we be here if that weren't the case, right? In all of us, however, there's at least one thing that we can't stand about the company's output over these last almost 100 years. There would have to be. Disney has been around too long to be flawless in anyone's eyes.

That's where this thread comes in. Of course, there are obvious items to pan. Not many like Stitch's Great Escape, for instance. There was the dark age of Disney film in the late seventies to early eighties, where movie after movie flopped and died on arrival. Plenty to dislike from that era. That's not what this thread is about. This thread is a place to share those little secrets that you wouldn't normally share on a Disney message board, the popular attraction or film or character, what have you, that you just can't stand.

Come on. You're amongst friends. Let's have some fun. I'll get it started.

I love music, in general. More specific to this topic, I love rock music of all types, everything from hardcore punk to the twee-est pop-rock you could imagine, golden rocking oldies to the newest indie thing on the scene. I listen to it all. I also love roller coasters (who doesn't?). Unfortunately, I do not like the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Well, I guess I like the actual ride a bit. It's too short, but it's still fun enough if the line is manageable. I guess more specifically, I don't like Aerosmith, and I don't see at all how the ride fits the park, let alone the old Hollywood-themed area of the park it's in. If Disney ever decided to strip down the attraction and completely re-theme Aerosmith out of it, I wouldn't mind at all. I would actually secretly applaud the decision.

There, I said it! Now it's your turn!
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a new forum Pugmalion1! I could spend a few hours writing of things that Disney has done that's left me scratching my head in wonder. Here is my all-time head-scratcher:

Horizons...Sad

Or really the issue of corporate sponsorship. Of all the attractions that Disney and WDI have come up with, this still tops my list as the greatest attraction ever. I know some UABers never had the chance to experience this Disney marvel and I'm sorry you never will. Disney pulled out all the stops on this one, from the storyline to the awesome music. It perfectly embodied the spirit and essence of EPCOT Center. So why did they destroy a true masterpiece? Well, there have been many theories put out there on that, from sink holes to structural defeciencies. But what it really boils down to is the all-mighty dollar and the loss of corporate sponsorship. GE pulled their sponsorship after ten years and suddenly there were ride breakdowns and lengthy closures. Instead of cracking open their huge wallet and make repairs Disney decides it's better to just tear the whole thing down. What a shame! I think of all the time and effort they took to really knock the socks off of every guest that ever rode it and it makes me want to cry. I'll add another thread on corpoate sponsorships in the future but sometimes Disney looks at the bottom line and truly misses the mark. Any one share my sentiments? °o°
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that irks me...how Disney HAS to be so PC to every freaking person/group in the world. The latest is the crackdown they're trying to get started with the handicap passes and groups are already squacking about it and I'm sure Disney will retreat and give in since they could lose those dollars. Grow a pair and make these people wait like the rest of us!

I would love to one day hear a CM say "No, you're not handicapped and you're just trying to cut the lines. Leave the park!!" Oh to dream...

napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this and what perfect timing.

Just called Disney merchandising wondering if there were any updates on the new Haunted Mansion purse - got a real snotty "cast member" with an attitude. Sheesh. Usually phone manners are very polite - well not this morning!

I agree with how annoying it is that Disney has to be so PC, and I also agree with the corporate sponsorships issues.

But my biggest beef is how Disney has too many places and things targeted for kids only - what about us adults? I am an adult - and have been for quite some time - with no children. And Disneyland/Disneyworld are my favorite places on this earth. For example, I love Disney princesses - can't there be an adult (or all age appropriate) area with Princesses - not just 5 yr old girls waiting for 2 hrs to get their picture taken with Princesses. It just seems like everytime we are at the parks, there is something that looks fun to do but unless you're little, you're left out.

And come on Disney Store - I don't fit in onesies, drink from a sippy cup, or play dress up. Can you please get more items for adults than one shelf of coffee cups and tee shirts?
Alacrity
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not all would agree, I'm an adult too! My wife and I agree; more good stuff for us big kids!

And while most folks seem to love it, I can pass on Le Cellier, Canada, Epcot. Oh it's good and all but in a steakhouse I think the best dish should not be the soup. Or the breads. The breads are good too. Want a steak? There's better to be had elsewhere I'm afraid. I wonder if it is so popular only because it is the most familiar to most folks visiting the World Showcase.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good items mentioned here. particularly the one about needing more focus on the adult princesses and the stuff about the PC getting out of hand.

There are three items I have:
1) There has to be more for young men (besides pirates), get creative, with all of Disney all the boys get is Jack Sparrow?
2) Family rides. We get it, thrill rides bring in the money, but it leaves part of the family waiting while some ride. Great attractions like HM, POTC, JC, Tiki Room, Living with the Land, Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth. 20,000 leagues. They are fun rides that everyone can enjoy, you can ride as a family at the family park.
3) Vault Disney - Open the vault, get the old movies and TV shows like Swamp fox, Zorro, etc back out there in front of kids, bring back the Johnny Tremaine, the Davy Crockett. That was great entertainment, that I would watch again and would watch with my kids. If you don't want to clutter up Disney Channel, od it at night like you use to.

And I won't mention the Power Rangers <shutter> at DHS...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan, I second that thought about the Vault... I would love to see more of the classic movies and shows features (had an idea about re-doing GMR with classic disney movies)...

My biggest pet peeve would be the apparent lack of concern or respect for annual passholders at WDW. Everything at WDW is getting priced and packaged to only be affordable if you are staying on property for several days. Very difficult to get good dinning reservations, room discounts are very small, and everything is now being geared to long stayes and planning trips 6 months in advance...
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
My biggest pet peeve would be the apparent lack of concern or respect for annual passholders at WDW. Everything at WDW is getting priced and packaged to only be affordable if you are staying on property for several days. Very difficult to get good dinning reservations, room discounts are very small, and everything is now being geared to long stayes and planning trips 6 months in advance...

Which is VERY different from DL AP holders. And I don't disagree, but WDW is geared more towards tourists and longer stays where DL is geared towards the locals, and they need to make them happy.

And there aren't a lot of offerings to the DVC members either...

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I understand the differences in market and I have no problem with that, but it seems like they have been slowly pushing against APs and only "care about" 3+ Day guests.

Used to be able to get a room at a value during Oct/Nov for around $60-80 with an AP discount, those discounted rooms are now around $120 a night (for the same night , same value resort and only 2-3 years removed).

I would also love if they could hold a percentage of dinning reservations (10-15% maybe) for walk-ups or next day reservations. Little things like that would make us APs happier and feel more appreciated... Smile
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Bruce. AP holders at WDW should be as valued, if not more valued, than the "occasional" visitor.

UncleDick
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Unpopular Disney Opinion Thread! Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
I love music, in general. More specific to this topic, I love rock music of all types, everything from hardcore punk to the twee-est pop-rock you could imagine, golden rocking oldies to the newest indie thing on the scene. I listen to it all. I also love roller coasters (who doesn't?). Unfortunately, I do not like the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Well, I guess I like the actual ride a bit. It's too short, but it's still fun enough if the line is manageable. I guess more specifically, I don't like Aerosmith, and I don't see at all how the ride fits the park, let alone the old Hollywood-themed area of the park it's in. If Disney ever decided to strip down the attraction and completely re-theme Aerosmith out of it, I wouldn't mind at all. I would actually secretly applaud the decision.

I agree with this 100%.

You want unpopular opinions? I got 'em!

Soarin' is Borin'
I've been underwhelmed with Soarin' ever since I first rode it at DCA back in '01. Pleasant? Sure. Thrilling? Mildly. Worth the wait? Nope. Basically, I won't ride this unless it's a walk-on or an easy FastPass grab. I find Reflections of China and even Impressions de France more beautiful and thrilling than Soarin'.

Never Stay On-site
In the hundreds of times I've been to Disneyland and Disney World, I've stayed at a Disney hotel exactly once, and I'll never do it again. Why? There are hundreds of less expensive alternatives scattered around Southern California and Central Florida. Disney's Magical Express is slower than molasses and the bus system at the resort is a disaster. Getting an off-site hotel room AND car rental together for $40/day (plus $15 for parking plus a little bit for gas) more than makes up for the psychological benefit of staying onsite in a marginally themed hotel.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with the long guest stay comments.... but even for the folks that are staying... why do they think everyone wants to plan everything out in advance? With the new wrist bands it is getting hard to get fastpasses or reservations.

Well, excuse me for not knowing 3 months in advance where i will want to eat or what ride I want to ride on Thursday afternoon.
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I hope this stupid MM+ thing dies out quickly. Just seems like a bunch of bad ideas wrapped up in poor execution and topped off with a healthy portion of short-sightedness.
'00 - Studios Merch (Stage 1/Tatooine Traders/Coaster Photo/Fantasmic), '05-'06 - Attractions (KSR), Dinoland Merch, '06-'07 - Concierge (Multiple Resorts), '07-'08 - Dream Squad (Aminal Kingdom), '10 - DVC Member Services
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Some good items mentioned here. particularly the one about needing more focus on the adult princesses and the stuff about the PC getting out of hand.

3) Vault Disney - Open the vault, get the old movies and TV shows like Swamp fox, Zorro, etc back out there in front of kids, bring back the Johnny Tremaine, the Davy Crockett. That was great entertainment, that I would watch again and would watch with my kids. If you don't want to clutter up Disney Channel, od it at night like you use to.

I would agree with this one! We grew up watching some of these movies and I wish I could watch them again with my nieces. Come on! A whole channel on cable and they just keep rerunning the same sitcoms.

I would like to see them schedule an hour or two each Sunday evening for the Disney Movie of the week with Walt reintroducing us to some of these classics.
CountryBearFan
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAIRat wrote:
Agreed. I hope this stupid MM+ thing dies out quickly. Just seems like a bunch of bad ideas wrapped up in poor execution and topped off with a healthy portion of short-sightedness.

People like you couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: