Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Are they still trustworthy?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Are they still trustworthy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Disney as trustworthy as they were in the 50's, 60's and 70's?
Yes, I still can trust whatever they say.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
No, they have become like every other corporation.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
No, Disney is now too Politically Correct out of fair of lawsuit.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
No, Disney is now too concerned pushing its political agenda (Liberal or conservative)
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
No, Disney will now do anything for a buck
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Are they still trustworthy? Reply with quote

While reading a part of a book by Marty Sklar (Dream It), he alludes to the start of Epcot and that many business felt it was the only way to get information out to the public because the people had stopped trusting the government and business, but they still trusted Mickey Mouse.

Which got me thinking... Do folks still trust Mickey Mouse or more accurately, do they still trust the Disney Corporation. What do folks think?

Last edited by WDWFan on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the parks and WDW specifically, money is the only factor that seems to matter. The Magic+ is just to data mine on how to make more money off guests. Whether that means enticing them to stay longer on property or tracking their purchases to see sales more, it all seems to have the same goal... make more money.

They seem to have forgotten Walt's philosophy of "treat them good and they will come back for a lifetime" to the new philosophy: "make them save up for a once in a lifetime trip and soak them for everything they have"...

There are some positives from the new programs, but the pale in comparison to the almighty dollar...
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree. MM+ is even more overt of a way to track guests then the Pal Mickeys. (For those of you who may not remember, it was discovered that each individual Pal Mickey could ping its location when it passed an IR transmitter and allowed for anonymous tracking of them throughout the parks.) Honestly, this is REALLY stretching my acceptance of data mining but, the only reason I'm remotely okay with it, is because it is limited solely to activity inside of Disney-owned property. Are they going to find a way to monetize this information? Absolutely! Will it likely follow guests off of Disney property? Only in the sense of targeted marketing but not beyond that. We will have to wait and see but I'm still not 100% sold on the thought that MM+ is an absolute necessity.
'00 - Studios Merch (Stage 1/Tatooine Traders/Coaster Photo/Fantasmic), '05-'06 - Attractions (KSR), Dinoland Merch, '06-'07 - Concierge (Multiple Resorts), '07-'08 - Dream Squad (Aminal Kingdom), '10 - DVC Member Services
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depressing results so far. Not really surprised. The interesting thing is when you talk one on one to a cast member, you truly feel they are out to make your trip special, but it is the corporate side that seems to be where it all breaks down.
CountryBearFan
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with all the overly-negative replies filled with a major lack of understanding of how things work.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney Corporate gave up on the idea of putting the guest first (or the cast member first) during the Eisner period and I have not seen anything to show otherwise now even with the improvements thay are making. Everything seems geared at "making more money" or pressing their current PC agenda.

The cast members themselves still seem to want to give the guest a good time and I expect many of them still adhere to the older Disney ideals, but the "suits" seem to have forgotten what the Disney name stood for.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney is a major corperation just like all the others, they want to make money.

That said they still do a great job of giving me value for my bucks and make me and
my Disney crazed wife and daughter always want to go back again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: