Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - In Honor of X Atencio

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

In Honor of X Atencio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: In Honor of X Atencio Reply with quote

Hey there, everyone! If you hadn't heard, on September 10th, X Atencio passed away. Though he'll always be remembered as the man who helped bring Pirates, Mansion, and World of Motion to life, he had an incredible career - he even won an Academy Award.

I had read this article recently and wanted to share it - I learned more about the legacy of this man than I had ever known. It's amazing.

https://d23.com/23-questions-with-x-atencio/

We were lucky to have him, and I don't think anyone would disagree that his impact - especially on the parks ... well, gosh, "incredible" seems like an insane understatement.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be a member of D23 to be able to read this. Sorry,,,

bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how crazy! A buddy sent it to me originally - and I had no problem reading it. It never occurred to me that it would be exclusive.

Let me at least sum up some of the more incredible parts:
*He was 18 and in his first year of art school when he tried to get a summer job at the studio - figuring he could get a few months in and brag to his friends that he once worked at Disney Studios. During the interview, after reviewing his portfolio, they offered him a full time position as an in-betweener (which he said was a rough job).

*The first film he worked on was Pinocchio, he was one of Wollie Reitherman's assistants. He worked on Monstro the whale and some of Jiminy (but mostly Monstro).

*He had been in Walt's presence, but never introduced. Then one day, he was waiting for an elevator and realized Walt was standing next to him. On a lark, he said "Hi, Walt", and Walt replied "Hi, X, how are you?" - he was flabbergasted that Walt knew who he was.

*He was part of the strike in the 1940s; however, the studio let him come back after everything settled. He left again to fight in WWII, but returned again when he was discharged three years later.

*He won an Academy Award in 1953 for Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom.

*For those of you who have ever read the Neal Gabler biography, there's a section about the rise of the UPA animation studio, which gave Disney some competition. X recalled a story where he asked Walt if they should start mirroring UPA's style in order to compete. Walt's reply: "“They’re making pictures for the intellect, we’re making pictures for the heart. And there’s a heck of a lot more heart than there are intellects.”

*X claimed that his favorite job was working for WED, and like so many artists who worked for Disney, he just fell into songwriting.

My absolute favorite part of the interview: At one point they asked X what he felt about all the changes they've made to Pirates (which X claims he likes just a little more than Mansion). While X said he liked the additions of Jack Sparrow, he was not as thrilled with the changing of the chase scenes, stating: "... this is Pirates of the Caribbean not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean!"

I'm just summarizing parts - it really is a great interview. He also talked about how Walt stressed the Haunted Mansion was not supposed to be about blood and gore, and there was a definite stress on the fact that the ghosts were just wanting to party and play.

Again, the impact he had is just hard to put into words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: