Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Time difference between streams and website

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Time difference between streams and website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Time difference between streams and website Reply with quote

Has anyone else notice a time delay between the active streams adn the duration length?

When I started listening this morning it was just a few seconds, but now it seems to be up to a few minutes... If the song changes in the stream and I reload the Currently Playing page, the song changes, but the counter seems to be a little off...

Am I the only one experiencing this issue...?
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed it as well a few months ago where the time left would be at :30 and the song would be over. However, I haven't seen it for a while, so I assumed that it was fixed. I have noticed that it seems to add on time if it's going to play one of the UAB promos. In other words, the track just starts, has a duration of 2:00, but it says that it has 2:30 left.

One other thing that I've noticed is that when I play the stream through winamp, the winamp song title is ALWAYS wrong. Not a big deal, but interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You buffer on YOUR machine will account for the difference in time. Also, there are certain tracks (mostly station ID's) that are not accounted for and you may see a track timer recycling :30 while it catches up.

The times posted (and timers) are estimates, nothing more.

If you have other questions about things that happen in the broadcast, please be sure to read the Broadcast FAQ

theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed that this morning when I got to work...Unfortunately I dont have remote access...

However this should become a thing of the past. I'm in the middle of setting up an atomic clock sync / NTP server so that all UAB systems are on the same time...

As you can see this week is "Ironing out the bugs" week with all the new stuff.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient.

As far as the 30 second thing...
If for some reason there's a power outage that knocks the servers out (a UPS is being purchased in the near future believe it or not), or the broadcast cuts for any reason, the default refresh time is 30 seconds....this is why the clock will countdown from 30 seconds over and over again...

The broadcast "Now Playing" console display is only configured to display track information, not the information for Station IDS, Commercials, Teasers, etc....Since it won't display this info, it just treats it as if the track hasnt changed. When a song changeover finally does occur, it will correct itself after the refresh...or...you can correct it with a simple browser refresh.
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know about the station ids and other bumpers, I was seeing several minutes in difference, enough to miss some songs on the page....

Right now, Pacific Warf - Area Music (Part 2) is on, Duration is supposed to be 9:54 yet the time left says 10:49 and the song started in the stream approx 30 seconds ago....

maybe it's just me....I work for an IT company, so our internal infrastructure sucks.....maybe the moons of venus are effecting the earth rotation and throwing our internet access off....

weird...
trekty
Airport Information Representative
Airport Information Representative

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just you, mine is the same way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Right now, Pacific Warf - Area Music (Part 2) is on, Duration is supposed to be 9:54 yet the time left says 10:49 and the song started in the stream approx 30 seconds ago....

In order to bring you the latest and best, we do tend to travel forward in time and start things before they exist. Sometimes the Flux-Capacitor get's out of whack!

Actually, it's just our clocks are off on things...we'll get it right soon enough.

theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my comment above Wink Wink We're aware of it and I...I mean....the MCP will be pummeled into submission to fix it Boxing I just decided that I'd give a full explanation of many of the reasons why the clock would be off...

Smile Smile Smile

-D
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob...just making sure it wasn't just me....

BTW, I don't think you should mention Flux Capacitor, it's that at the "Other" parks... Razz
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but the Disney Version of it won't be released until 3/30/07 Wink Wink. It's far superior to the FC. Smile
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this. Currently, I'm a couple minutes behind. At least I know what's coming up though.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above had nothing to do with the UAB clock deadeyedlv. It had to do with the countdown Smile.

I added the clock this weekend so people can gauge a better understanding of server restarts and when request limitations are released. All clocks in the world (in less you're on an atomic clock) are off by a few seconds or minutes. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: