Expedition Everest Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Muslim employee sues US Disneyland over headscarf ban

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Muslim employee sues US Disneyland over headscarf ban

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericpabear
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Muslim employee sues US Disneyland over headscarf ban Reply with quote

Read the artical.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.5e4d052d8a65c3e244b3cae1bab6a2bb.291&show_article=1

Watch the video.
http://www.breitbart.tv/muslim-employee-disney-banned-head-scarf/
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen the article but hadn't seen the video yet. Guess what, lady: Workplaces have dress codes and requirements. She was given interim options that allowed her to both work and wear the scarf, and she's acting like she's been fired. Rolling Eyes
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since we don't live in a communistic society she can find a new job if Disney doesn't budge. Disney sets a certain standard they made the french shave in Paris Disneyland so this woman needs to grow up and get a life. A business has the right to set it's own standards, but since it's the left coast they may just loose this one in Cal. courts.

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, redbaron. If she refuses to take an interim job where she would be allowed to wear her scarf until a permanent resolution is made, and keeps making the CHOICE to go home because she refuses to comply with company policy, then I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there that would love to have her job, either by promoting from within the company or hiring from outside.

She was given THREE perfectly good options within the company - take off the scarf and work your current position, take off the scarf and wear a hat that is approved for your costume, or leave the scarf on and work behind the scenes. If she's not happy with those, she can quit and try to find work elsewhere. She's just to heck bent on causing a commotion that need not be. 2 years working there and one day she wakes up and says, "Oh. It's Ramadan. I'm going to wear my scarf." Sorry, but Disney doesn't play that way.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that Disney was also trying to come up with a viable alternative that would FIT her costume and comply with her scarf requirements for Ramadan. Disney didn't come through in time, but then again, you're talking about a costume enhancement for 1 person. I agree that Disney did all it needed to do for her request, and she blatantly broke her costume rules. It's all seems like a ploy due to the contract situation and such.

Bad form I say.

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. With a huge corporation like Disney, things just don't happen overnight. Like her decision to wear the scarf.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides this whole thing seems to be fueled by the problems in NY with the mosque consider this they get more sympathy if everyone believes they are being discriminated against.

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Everyone is owed something - it's the American Way.

And, although somewhat off-topic, how about replacing St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, which was destroyed on 9/11, before slapping up a mosque?

From yesterday:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/08/22/15104231.html

A Muslim woman is suing the entertainment giant after she was sent home from her job at Disneyland for wearing a hijab.

Twenty-six-year-old Imane Boudlal has been working in a restaurant at the California theme park for two years but didn't wear a hijab until now. When she decided to wear the traditional head scarf, her boss told her to either take it off or work backstage where the public wouldn't see her. She went home.

"All cast members in costumed roles, regardless of their diverse beliefs, are expected to comply with our dress codes," Suzi Brown, a spokeswoman for Disneyland told CNN. "When cast members, regardless of their religion, request exceptions to our policies for religious reasons, we work hard to make reasonable accommodations."

Disney told Boudlal that they would give her a company-approved headscarf for her to wear but it never came so she wore her own. She was sent home as a result.

"I don't think it's hard for Disney to just accommodate me and just let me wear the scarf," Boudlal told CNN.

"Accomodate ME"
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say fire her she is breaking the rules. Everyone is so afraid of doing the right thing. Send a message were not afraid of anyone. It's not discrimination its business they are not a government organization, they are a private business who has a standard to maintain they tried to accommodate her and she said no, termination period. If she had a problem with the dress code two years ago then file the suit, not now suspicious timing if you ask me? Two years of working with no scarf and now she wants to wear it. Come on Roma don is no excuse, if i worked there i couldn't bring a life size cross to work or a menorah. She's trying to get special treatment fire her and hire some else. Be gone your 15 minutes are up!!!!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
Good point. Everyone is owed something - it's the American Way.

And here I thought the American Way was to have the ability to make your own way and work yourself to a success.

Can see why they like the free handouts better, but I don't like the change...

I think Disney did more than enough to accommodate her. She knew the rules when she voluntarily took the job. I would not be surprised to hear she either wants the publicity, or is hoping for a large settlement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: