Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Pleasure Island Update!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Pleasure Island Update!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swimasb
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Pleasure Island Update! Reply with quote

The Disney Parks Blog has put up what they're going to be doing with Pleasure Island: Hyperion Wharf!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/first-look-waterfront-district-hyperion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

Looks like its gonna be cool and fit pretty well in with the Marketplace and West Side

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional information here:

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/11/18/downtown-disneys-pleasure-island-to-become-hyperion-wharf/

• More than 1,500 new restaurant seats will expand dining options by more than 25 percent.
• The new design makes the waterfront the focal point.
• In the next 30 days, AMC Theater guests will be able to purchase unique, upscale snacks and drinks from interactive, self-service food stations similar to a food court.
• The AMC Fork & Screen Theater will offer restaurant-style dining with seat-side service beginning in spring 2011.
• The projects are expected to create an estimated 600 construction jobs, 500 restaurant, retail and entertainment jobs, and support 100 vendor and supplier jobs.

and here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-pleasure-island-changes-20101118,0,2869804.story

More than two years after it closed the doors to its Pleasure Island nightclubs, Walt Disney World said Thursday that it will convert the once-thriving nightlife area into a faux wharf with new restaurants and shops.

The revamped district, to be called "Hyperion Wharf," will open in stages through 2013.

As part of the changes, Disney says it will tear down most of the area's former clubs, including Motion, Adventurers Club, BET Soundstage Club and Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club. The moniker "Pleasure Island" will be phased out entirely.

In their place, Disney says it will add new restaurants and shops themed around newly themed seaport setting. The resort didn't provide any details about what kinds of restaurants will be added, but it said the additions will expand overall dining space at Downtown Disney — which, in addition to Pleasure Island, includes the West Side and Marketplace retail areas — by more than 25 percent.

The wharf-themed area will also include a lakeside park and "enhanced" walkways, as well as extensive nighttime lighting.

Elsewhere across the 120-acre Downtown Disney district, Disney said it will expand the Lego Imagination Center and add new digital technology, an upgraded concession stand and a dine-in theater at the AMC movie theater.

Construction work is to begin immediately. Disney said it expects the combined projects to create approximately 1,200 jobs — 600 in construction, 500 in restaurant, retail and entertainment, and 100 vendor- and supplier-jobs.

Disney said the park area will open by next summer. The timetable for the remainder of the "Hyperion Wharf" work will be set once Disney signs contracts with restaurant operators.
[/url]
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, you two.

This all looks really promising. I can't wait until it's completely opened. This is the sort of thing I was hoping they'd do with the area.

As for the dine-in theater, Orlando has one of the best dinner movie theaters I've ever been to in the Enzian, already. If I wanted to do a movie and a meal simultaneously, I would just grab a cab and head over there.

http://www.enzian.org/
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Airplane at Enzian a few years back. It was AWESOME. Enzian is what I thought of when Disney mentioned the idea, but am worried it may fizzle into more of a Director's Seating concept. I used to go to one at Fairfax Corner, and you paid a premium (maybe $5 more) for full leather reclining chairs, and waitstaff would come take your order (still stuff like nachos, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, popcorn). As for Enzian, to get in a cab from property to go to Maitland? That's about 25 miles one way.

Now my question is, "What is it with all these waterfront concepts?" You got the Boardwalk Hotel, Paradise Pier, and now Hyperion Wharf. Wait, are they shipping us the MaliBoomer?!?!
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the Adventurer's Club.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
I saw Airplane at Enzian a few years back. It was AWESOME. Enzian is what I thought of when Disney mentioned the idea, but am worried it may fizzle into more of a Director's Seating concept. I used to go to one at Fairfax Corner, and you paid a premium (maybe $5 more) for full leather reclining chairs, and waitstaff would come take your order (still stuff like nachos, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, popcorn). As for Enzian, to get in a cab from property to go to Maitland? That's about 25 miles one way.

Now my question is, "What is it with all these waterfront concepts?" You got the Boardwalk Hotel, Paradise Pier, and now Hyperion Wharf. Wait, are they shipping us the MaliBoomer?!?!

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be the most convenient option, but I still think heading off property to the place would be a nice option one night. It's a nice looking place, and they actually have very good food. I forgot that it was in Maitland, though. It's been a while since I was last there, and I remembered it being somewhere between Winter Park and Orlando. Oh, well. It's still right off of 4, so it's not that bad, depending on the time of day.

Have you ever been to any of their free outdoor screenings in Winter Park? I don't think they were doing those when I was still living down there, but it sounds like a lot of fun. They are showing the Iron Giant sometime in December. If I was still local, I'd be there without hesitation. I love that movie.
mrsguru
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:

Have you ever been to any of their free outdoor screenings in Winter Park?

When I passed the Enzian this morning on my way to work, the sign said that they were showing Chicken Run tomorrow in Winter Park. Smile
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about going?
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, Run Lola Run on the 30th... It's a bummer for me when they host movies on weeknights at 9:30 as I wouldn't get home past midnight. Not fun when there is work the next day!
mrsguru
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
Thinking about going?

Nope, just happened to notice it as I was waiting for the light to change. Christmas decorating this weekend since we won't be home next weekend. Very Happy
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
Yeah, I know it wouldn't be the most convenient option, but I still think heading off property to the place would be a nice option one night. It's a nice looking place, and they actually have very good food. I forgot that it was in Maitland, though. It's been a while since I was last there, and I remembered it being somewhere between Winter Park and Orlando. Oh, well. It's still right off of 4, so it's not that bad, depending on the time of day.

Have you ever been to any of their free outdoor screenings in Winter Park? I don't think they were doing those when I was still living down there, but it sounds like a lot of fun. They are showing the Iron Giant sometime in December. If I was still local, I'd be there without hesitation. I love that movie.

Weekdays I4 is a parking lot. Yesterday, a 15 mile stretch (from just past the FL Turnpike to Longwood) was over a 55 minute delay. Glad I can avoid I-4 to get home.

I haven't been to any of the outdoor screenings. It always seems like something else is taking precedence between Matt and me. They hold them in Hunter's Creek sometimes I believe, mostly in the summer. Another nice thing is the Downtown Concert Series. Last week, Spin Doctors and Blues Traveler played.

Now, in an attempt to get this post back on topic... Wink

Any ideas/rumors as to what types of new eateries we'll be seeing? Personally, I like the eclectic mix they have going on between PI and Westside. Raglan Road and Paradiso 37 are some favorites, and they have great bar areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: