Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Check In at Disney Parks with Gowalla

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Check In at Disney Parks with Gowalla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Check In at Disney Parks with Gowalla Reply with quote

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/check-in-at-disney-parks-with-gowalla/

Beginning today, there’s a new way to explore and experience Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. We’ve teamed up with location-based web service Gowalla to make ‘checking-in’ to your favorite Disney places a lot more magical.

The fun starts with our new digital Passport Stamps. Hundreds of locations within Disney Parks will feature these exclusive Stamps created by Gowalla – it’s the largest number of custom Stamps ever developed for a brand. The Stamps can be collected and kept as a virtual scrapbook by using Gowalla and checking-in around the parks. Take a look at some of my favorites.

You’ll also be able to view park happenings with custom Disney Passport pages at each park that include maps featuring a check-in stream, a list of popular places and Trips.

Trips are a special “bundle” of attractions by age or interest.

* “For the Little Ones (under 44 inches)” is a dream track fit for pint-sized park-goers to Magic Kingdom in Florida. It includes “Mickey’s PhilharMagic,” Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Peter Pan’s Flight and more.

* “Characters in the Wild” treats Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests to a show track that includes “Festival of the Lion King,” “Finding Nemo-The Musical,” “Flights of Wonder” and more.

* Just in time for the holidays at the Disneyland park, “Santa’s Reindeer Roundup,” “Believe
in Holiday Magic” fireworks and Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle are on the menu for the “Seasons Greetings” Trip.

Of course, there’s more to come. We’ll be highlighting special events in the parks in upcoming months and you’ll be able to secure unique Passport Stamps for checking in at custom events via Gowalla to record your experiences as they happen.

You can start your Disney Parks adventure now by going to Gowalla.com/WaltDisneyWorld, Gowalla.com/Disneyland or Gowalla.com/DisneyParks. You’ll need to join Gowalla via the web or download the free application onto your smartphone.

Oh, and be sure and let us know your favorite stamps or any others you’d love to see.

Of course, the first reply post is a complaint:

"It’s a cool idea
but not everyone has a smart phone. Not everyone has a cell phone. Your little extras that need the use of such things just make the have-nots feel more left out."

While everyone else is complaining it's not on foursquare...
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say I sympathize with the notion that "not everyone has a smart phone", but they have become so pedestrian now that they are being given away free with plans and the data plan rates have also come down sharply.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone can afford a trip to Disney, so should they stop advertising?

Personally, grab the techy's and have a ball. If you don't have or don't want, oh well. They can't please everyone anyway.

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Gowalla on my iPhone yesterday and plan on heading over to property tomorrow to check it out. I want to try out Pollo Campero & Babycakes NYC since it was delayed in opening last week. I’ll probably venture into a park briefly (MGM most likely) since it doesn’t look like there are any check-in spots at DTD.

As for the naysayers without a smart phone to use this ONE app (which isn't even created or released by Disney): Here’s a park map, here’s a pen. Make a checkmark when you see an attraction. That’s really all this is, except you get a digital image sent to your phone. I’d be surprised if Disney adds many more “trips” to the app for people to complete.

For people without phones, will Disney start making passports for each park, like those ones you can PURCHASEfor World Showcase in Epcot? ("I have to PAY for this? But that app thing is FREE!)

If you feel out of the tech loop, play a round or two of Kim Possible (there should be an app for that!).
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan. Part of the reason I like Disney is to leave all reality behind. No sir, I don't like this at all. Mad
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, and I downloaded it. It's on my phone right now.

I'll be checking it out in June, when we're in Disneyland.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone likes to leave their cell phone behind, that's their decision. Nobody is telling them they have to download the app. Personally, I always have mine on me. I use it to check wait times and post updated ones, take photos of whatever, check menus for where to eat... It's an added bonus that there's now an interactive "game". For someone at the parks especially as often as me, it's a new fun thing to do.

I see it as a personal, take-anywhere Kim Possible. If Disney integrated KP technology into each park with digital stamps to collect on a mission (as opposed to seeing objects come alive) and then turn back in before leaving the park, would people be happier because everyone could do it? There's no physical take-away from KP or my hypothetical game - it's simply an experience and a memory.

Plus, now I have yet ANOTHER reason to get back out to DL (add it to the laundry list!).
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our trip to WDW a couple weeks back, I used Disney's new phone-optimized dining site to make a last minute reservation at San Angel for lunch. It was really convenient and simple to use.

I just typed up Epcot, and I got a list of everything that was available for lunch that day, everything that wasn't, and a selection of available times for each place. Pretty amazing web app they've created. I'd like to see it spun-off as an actual downloadable app, but the online version is pretty cool.

Now that I have a smart phone and all of the apps for Disney that I use, I couldn't imagine going to the parks without it. It makes relaxing and taking our time so much easier.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Back in early October, my mom was down visiting. She and her friend wanted to eat a REAL meal and not just do the F&W kiosks again (they’re not adventurous eaters, I mean even a steak can’t have any “weird” sauces). My aunt was with us and LOVES Chinese food and was eyeballing the Nine Dragons menu, and I needed to nip that one because I wasn’t feeling it. I grabbed my phone and announced, “Let me check where I can get us a reservation.” I searched for 6pm (about 2-3 hours away) for 4 people at Epcot, and a 6pm for Le Cellier appeared. I told them and my Aunt’s jaw dropped and she told me to book it, so I did. A reservation everyone could agree on, is normally difficult to secure, and I got it right on the spot.

I’d love to see it in an app format as well, however, I am very happy that Disney put an online version out there. It works extremely well and is VERY convenient. Much like you, I can’t imagine not having my phone with me at the parks. I use it from the time I leave my house to the time I get home, transmitting UAB to my Jeep radio on the drive to and from and using it in the parks. It’s amazing how having all the info you need at your fingertips makes the trip, even if just for a day, so much easier. They’ve really changed how we tour and experience the parks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: