Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Theme Park Special Events: Ripoff or Great Experience?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Theme Park Special Events: Ripoff or Great Experience?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Theme Park Special Events: Ripoff or Great Experience? Reply with quote

So today I was looking at information for the big Princess/Pirate/Whatever evening events they're doing at WDW. Lots of people witch and moan about how expensive these special events are, and I've pretty much discovered that I agree with them. Quel horreur!

It costs at least $140 for a family of four without discounts (assuming the two kids are under ten! if they're older, you're talking an extra twenty bucks...) to just get in the door. This doesn't include dinner or admission to the MK earlier in the day. There is a treasure hunt souvenir activity, but if it's anything like the trick or treating at MNSSHP, it's not going to be a major pillage by any stretch of the imagination. And sure, you do, in theory, have access to unique entertainment and a whole evening of thinned crowds to enjoy some of the better attractions...but to be honest, several of these special evenings are occuring during low season, when folks aren't exactly fighting through thick queues anyway. And, some of the show aspects reek of oldskool MNSSHP, where the dance parties and spooky storytelling are pretty much old hat. And isn't the 'pirate tutorial' a daily thing in Adventureland anyway? For a hundred-forty bucks, I want to see the Kraken bust through the ground and start sucking down tourists.

Now, I do agree that under some circumstances, special events might be worth a try. Lots of people say that VMC is worth it if you won't be at WDW when the parade and fireworks will be regular-admission perks. I think it's also fair enough to try NSSHP if you've never been, and really enjoy Hallowe'en parties. But given that the ticket prices have risen so much since these events began, I'm unsure that I can recommend them anymore. You can make the case that little kids will think it's special, but then I ask...aren't there better ways to spend that $140+ that the kids might like as much or more? I mean, you're at freaking WDW...you could put them money toward CRT or a deluxe bibbidi bobbidi makeovery thingy in the ripoff room at WoD. Or you could - GASP! - save the money for college or something.

Anyway. Like all of those Disneyland merch events, these started out as something special and interesting, but they're really not so much anymore. I loved the HM 30th anniversary event, but subsequent attempts to recreate the success of that first outing have kinda degenerated into cheap (er, expensive) shills for bizarre and uninteresting collectibles. I mean, who REALLY needs a POTC patio chair for goodness sake? I don't care if it IS made by some amazing figurine sculptor capable of painting the finest giclee reproductions this side of the Musee d'Orsay.

Or maybe I'm just a Scrooge. Bah. Humbug.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been to MVMCP and MNSSHP in WDW, ToT Opening Event, IJTFE 10 Aniversary, and a NBC event in DL, and I must say that you do pay a lot for getting a little. NBC was a huge dissapointment, but the ToT and Indy events were a blast. Mainly because we got to dress up and the people we were with made the evening great. I still say the ToT event was the best ever.

As for the holiday parties in WDW, I think they are good events, with MNSS being the better of the two. VMC is good, but it's more like an Extra Magic Hours thingy with a special parade and hot cocoa. Both are worth expereincing at least once, in my opinion.

But to Kali's point, Disney has gotten to the point of charging an awful lot for very little ROI (return on investment). But what's sad is that people will pay and since they will, Disney will still go cheap and charge a lot.

kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DP. I've seen MNSSHP twice and liked it a lot, but for upwards of $35, it's probably something I'd leave off (although I don't have children). The parks are usually packed and I don't get to ride as much during that time. As for MVMCP, you have to experience snow on Main Street at least once Smile

I miss the E-ride nights, where you could have an empty park. The days of being able to walk all the way from Adventureland through Frontierland to the Haunted Mansion without seeing another person are sadly gone. The EMHours are packed as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you both.

Kurt, I think there are quite a few adult parkgoers who go to the after hours special events because they want an experience akin to an E-ride night or empty extra magic hours - lots of good attractions late into the night without the crowds. But when the events ARE crowded and the prices are sky-high, they rebel. Perhaps Disney could reinstitute something like E nites, spend less on entertainment and other stupid extras, charge lower ticket prices, and make just as much money...

And David...you're right. It's up to us to provide feedback that demands better value. I loved MNSSHP, but for the price, I wouldn't go back. UNLESS they added more perks or lowered the price.
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, last Sept. when I went it was absolutely packed during the EMH - almost as much as during normal park hours for the first two hours. That's my favorite time in the park - when it's empty and lit up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see trying it once, or for a special occassion, but I can't see paying for these tickets twice. Frankly it is just not worth it in price or in stress.
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely, wdwfan!

and yes, i realise that extra magic hours are often crowded, though people often expect they won't be. Smile the good news is that they're free, and they DO offer you more time in the parks.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DP...the company makes the event.

I think if more events had the theming of TOT te response would be muc greater. I thhink providing food would be better too.

We all went to Pirates and Princesses....grandma in our group said it was her favorite part of the trip. I enjoyed it a lot a I went around withh my seven year old buddy finding all the treasure spots.

I don't know if I'd do it again....but the fireworks show was INCREDIBLE....

: )
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In keeping with my prior post... I think I'd try pirates once... Can't see shelling out more than once. Two considerations....

I would repeat a Special event if I were with a different person/group.... So it was a trip with my niece, who has never experienced it.... I can see doing it again to share the experience. Same way if I had grandkids I could see making it a grandparent "tradition".

Next, if it offered something more than a candy I could get at the local drugstore for 2 bucks.... Then there might be repeat reason.

But at $30+ a ticket... for Spouse, self, kids(3), and I almost always bring a grandparent, or niece/nephew... it is $200 to start with. Rather use that to have a nice dinner in Epcot. (or 2 nice dinners in Kissimmee).

Extra hours, I'll do... and had a lot of fun doing them. Crowd seems more jolly. even more so than at hard ticket events.
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree...extra magic hours are fun...and free.

you could eat like five times at Perkins for the hard ticket money...and Perkins has MUFFINS.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but some of us can't eat muffins..... stupid diet.....

Well, I have gone to the Halloween and Christmas events for the last several years and I have loved them....

We tried to go one of year and switch each year, but we both fell in love with the Halloween event....

For us, it is the stuff that they do during the event that you can't do during a normal visit or even extra magic hours.....

Things such as the special fireworks and parades, meeting different characters (you can only meet Maleficent during the Halloween party), the themed picture opportunities, the special "events" (my mother loves the trick or treating)....

Now, we also love the fact that we can hit all of the rides that we want, with almost no wait in lines (we are AP holders, we hate waiting)...

But, for some people, these extras may not be worth it for them.... I have not been to the P&P party, so I don't know first had if the extra's are worth it.... we may do it next year, just to say that we have done it and see if it is worth it....

Never been to any of the merchandise or ride events, so I can't comment on them.... But I do know most of those events (even the lousy special pin events) are just so expensive, I don't know if those would be worth it or not, can't afford to find out myself...

But yeah, I think it is different for each person (based on their likes and dislikes)... some of them, you have to go to see what all the fuss is about....

aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right...you do need to experience at least one to say 'meh'...and the value calculation depends on your personal preferences. and how much disposable income, you have, too.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a concept I have yet to be able to identify with...
"Disposable Income". Can't rightly say I've had any income I wanted to dispose of...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kali I can fill you in on my opinion of the Pirate and Princess event, mrsguru just signed us up for next Friday nights event....

I will probably do a event report and hopefully pics (if I can get my stupid digital camera to work right)....

aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tee hee!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: