Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Current Travel Plans

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Current Travel Plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Travel Agency
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you frequent flyers of Southwest. If you know Donna and me, you know that we always plan well in advance. But Southwest is usually a step behind us. Last year when we were looking to book for January 2007, they weren't accepting bookings far enough out to cover our return. We ended up on Delta. The same is happening now. We want to stay Jan 10 - 16. Southwest is only accepting through 1/11/2008.

How long do you think before they push it out a bit more? It's not like we would be saving a ton of money, maybe $20.00 - $30.00 per person, and there are 4 of us. And a non-stop on Southwest would be better for dad with his bad leg, as opposed to navigating him through Atlanta. But on the other hand, I like having pre-assigned seating. I hate that Southwest cattle car boarding.

On another note, anybody flying AirTran? I booked for my son and his family for Christmas. They charge $5.00 per person per flight if you want to reserve a seat. $15.00 if you want exit row. Wonder what they charge for Coke and pretzels!
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the coke and the pretzels...just make sure you go to the bathroom before you get on the plane!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire airline experience is getting worse. It's like the cross town bus with wings. You can't blame the airlines for weather and computer delays, but the lack of timely information is horrible. On my last trip, not a single leg of the flight went as planned. That's why for the marathon we are going down days early to allow for flight issues.

I'm getting ready to borrow a neighbor's RV for a trip. (And it's not cousion Eddie!)
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Southwest is a GREAT airline! BUT...they have a couple of things I find annoying, but I can easily overlook them since they are pretty dependable.

1) "Cattle Car Boarding" - If you check in EXACTLY 24 Hours in advance, there is no real issue, since you'll be in the "A" group, the first ones on the plane. You won't have an issue sitting together, even if you are the last in the "A" group. If you get on early in the "B" group, you'll be OK. And this ONLY applies for a full flight. If there is little or no "C" group, you'll have no troubles at all. If you want choice of seat, get the "A" group and get to the airport 2 hours before departure, you'll be first in line.

2) Availability Dates - This one is tough, but I'd wait and see what happens. On our flights to WDW for October, I waited one day and prices dropped $50 per person. I got the flights I wanted for close to the $200 per person price tag I try and set. In January, you'll get WAY below $200 per person. Just watch the prices and when they hit a value you like, pounce on it. If the prices drop more, you can re-book at the cheaper price and get a Southwest Credit. If they are showing availability thru the 11th, withiin the next month they will have thru February. You could also book the flight down on the 10th now and book the return flight later, providing they have good prices for the trip down now. I've seen (and purchased) flights for as little as $100 round trip on Southwest. I just checked and the flight down as of today is $114.40. Trust me, you can get it below $100 each way. Just be patient.

Figmentathm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I'll trust you. But you know Donna will be on the edge of here seat until we get a flight locked in. Nothing can keep her from the Mouse.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at WDW this weekend, the 8th-10th. We're having dinner with my dad Friday night (the 7th) and afterwards I intend to settle in at the Adventurer's Club with a Kungaloosh or two. If any of you UABers are around, come say hello! I'm the tall girl with long brown hair and bangs, purple glasses, and four little hoops in each ear. You know - the librarian pirate look. Razz
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just rebooked our Disneyland trip for next year... based on what everyone suggested during the Jamboree...

We will be flying out of Orlando on Feb 29 and return Mar 7... We will have 6 whole days, Mar 1 - Mar 6 to spend at Disneyland... In fact, we have already arrainged for a private guide on 3/1 & 3/2 (Sat, Sun)... The only bad thing, we had to give up Paradise Pier Park View for Disneyland Hotel Standard... But we all have to make sacrifices...

Now I just need to look a few restaurants and see what happens... suggestions?

Although, stupid Disney couldn't book the flights... so I did it myself, through Southwest... paid a little more, but I feel better about the flight...

When we booked the trip the first time, he had nice flights.... A week later, those flights were cancelled and Disney rebooked up... US Air and DC-9s with mulitple lay overs.... I was not feeling very confident, another reason why we rebooked...

So, if anyone is planning on being at Disneyland during that time, we wouldn't be opposed meeting up for a few hours or a meal or something...
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC-9's!!! I thought only Air Bangladesh was still flying those antique beasts. I thought they were all stripped and parked in the dessert.

You were smart to rebook on your own.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Well, just rebooked our Disneyland trip for next year... based on what everyone suggested during the Jamboree...

We will be flying out of Orlando on Feb 29 and return Mar 7... We will have 6 whole days, Mar 1 - Mar 6 to spend at Disneyland... In fact, we have already arrainged for a private guide on 3/1 & 3/2 (Sat, Sun)... The only bad thing, we had to give up Paradise Pier Park View for Disneyland Hotel Standard... But we all have to make sacrifices...

You booked a private tourguide for just the 2 of you?
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup and it is probably only going to cost us a dinner or lunch... probably a few drinks also...
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody headed down to WDW next weekend? I know Grumpy and I are headed down Thursday. Sent a PM to kray about marathon weekend about a month ago, but I know things move slower down south so I haven't heard from her (or her lawyer) yet.

Maybe Orlando will be out of the 30's by then...but I sure don't wish for last year's heat.
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there the 26th of Jan.
kray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Figmentathm"] Sent a PM to kray about marathon weekend about a month ago, but I know things move slower down south so I haven't heard from her (or her lawyer) yet.quote]

Shoot, you haven't logged onto to UAB in at least a month (it was the lack of LeAnn rimes requests that gave you away Wink )

I arrive at WDW on Friday the 11th and will sadly (and SLOWLY) leave on Monday the 14th.
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..where are you staying? What's your bib number? What corral are you in? What's the capital of Montana?
kray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin

Corrals haven't been assigned yet

Helena
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Travel Agency All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: