Expedition Everest Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Journey Into Imagination Refurb (3rd times a charm?)

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Journey Into Imagination Refurb (3rd times a charm?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freezerboy
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the problem with imagination: there's no disney movie featuring Dreamfinder and Figment. That cuts into the merchandising right there. IF the ride had been based on (just for instance) Pete and his Dragon, the Eliot Plush would have outsold Figment by a factor of two or three. (And Helen Reddy could retire on her residuals from the song playing umgawa times a day)

That wasn't how they (the people who created Epcot center) wanted to go. To them, a Pete's Dragon ride belonged in Fantasyland, not the new "world's fair" park.

As counterpoint: Tiki Room did well, even though it wasn't based on a disney movie. The same can be said for Haunted Mansion and Pirates.
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Space Mountain. And Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Horizons, Submarine Voyage, Jungle Cruise, the Peoplemovers, Spaceship Earth, Carosel of Progress, Adventures thru inner space. I see a trend lately. Disney is scared to build a ride based on an original idea. Then again, we could still be looking at some aftermath from the strategic planning department. At least we have Expedition Everest. Mission: Space too, but I'd say that was loosely based on Mission to Mars (the movie (with Gary Senise)).
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people say that the problem of rides either being based on off an existing movie/show or to have a story is a carry-over from the Eisner regime....
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time for a movie based on Figment.

"Figment Saves Christmas"

"Figment Battles the Pirates"

"Figment's Return"

"Figment of the Jungle"

"Figment Exorcises the Haunted Mansion"

Okay, scratch creative genius off my resume.
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figmant journeys into imagination? Then they could make a ride based on it?
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang. The only problem I ever had with JII, looking back now, was the fact that for an attraction that was supposed to celebrate the creative spirit there really wasn't alot you could grab onto, so to speak. Now, before I'm tarred and feathered hear me out on this. Aside from Dreamfinder and Figment there wasn't the usual 'supporting cast' of additional characters that could've personalised the imagination in some of the other segments, (aside from the Figment clones in the film sequence). Also, from a tech standpoint, while some of the actual set pieces and effects were noteworthy, (the opening turntable, the photo-capture at the end), most of the segments didn't really 'jump out' at you as in some other attractions, (except maybe the horror-writing segment). While I still regard JII as a 'classic' experience that derserves to be respected I also think that ANY future refurb of the pavillion should really involve a somewhat 'livelier' storyline in order to get the imagination really going. Well, I'll shut up now, later, peace.
foxer76
Baggage Screener
Baggage Screener

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Imagination Reply with quote

The original attraction was probably one of my favorite EPCOT attractions. It was one of those really intricate and complicated attractions that disney was so famous for back in the day. What a dissapointing job they did on the new version. It is so elementary and simple now. It used to be SO COOL!
foxer76
Baggage Screener
Baggage Screener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuugh Star Tours is so boring.
ksdisneyfan
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a return to the original - or at least most of it. Maybe updates to some scenes with the new technology available. I was happy to see Figment back though - he's always been my favorite. Bouncing Figment I have not idea how the 2nd version of the attraction was - I boycotted it until Fiment came back Very Happy

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day..."
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll Imagination is currently just taking up otherwise valuable space. they should either take another stab at it, or call it quits and clear the lot and start something new. leaving what they have there now is just highlighting their mistakes.
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of David Koenig's Realityland, he has an interesting section about Journey, where he talks about how the Disney brass wanted the initial ride to die out to get money from Kodak to redo the ride, and basically killed the old JII.

Of course, it backfired when the next version was a total flop, and they redid it again, but now it's only marginally better than the first redo.

Loved the original...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how they manage to hold on to Kodak with the exhibit they have. Outside of the movie, the pavilion should shame them.

If you can not make it into Imagination than give us a 10 cents tour on the workings/history of photography.

Or keep the movie and tear down the rest.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I liked the original ride better even though we had to wait for so long before they even opened it in the first place...

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
wdwmike1988
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I would like to know if anyone at all can confirm any of the rumors the circle around this attraction. Nothing would make me happier then see it go back to the original ride the way it used to be with the dreamfinder. I just happened to ride it the other day and i thought it was absolutely horrible. Not to mention my mom and i were the only two people riding the attraction. What has Disney done to this classic attraction?
PlaneCrazy
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original attraction was far superior to the current attraction. However, I seriously doubt that Disney would reincarnate the original. Perhaps they would bring back the original characters, but think the storyline would be totally different. Technology has changed so much since the original was built. There are so many cool things they could do!

I would love to see a movie based on the original characters from JII... or, at least, Figment.

Wouldn't it be cool if you entered your phone number as you entered the attraction and Figment sent you a personalized text message as you exit the attraction? This would be another way to expand the "living character initiative".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: