Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Have you experienced performance improvements?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Have you experienced performance improvements?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Have you experienced performance improvements? Reply with quote

I'm doing some querying and research and it seems as though UAB has seen improvements all around....

I've been listening most of the week to monitor any issues and so far the broadcast has been running (as of this post) for 5 days 22 hours 6 minutes without going down. With 27 individual listeners as our peak for the week. While that might not sound like a lot, keep in mind that the broadcast is heavily monitored for various "non-human" entities that have ulterior motives, something most other stations don't care about hence their higher numbers.

Besides the uptime improvements it seems that the website is certainly seeing its fair share of speed . I'm REALLY glad we've fixed the loading issues....which really were brought on by an old database not being able to keep up with today's demand.

Has anyone seen any area of the site with dramatic improvements? Is anyone still seeing any slowness anywhere? Any questions?
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Currently Playing" function has been really good. Response time is minimal. And I've noticed with requests, that they are processed much quicker.

Although with so many people listening, and the queue depth being what it has been at time, I haven't requested much.

And I am noticing so many new tracks, and more people taking advantage of the forums. Always glad to see new contributors.

The screen design is rather dark and difficult to see, and the small font for posting is hard for old guys like me.

Now about that "Off Kilter Hour"!!!!!!!!!!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF we're talking about Tuesday's queue depth that was my fault...

See the twofer tuesdays fastpass is run from 2 scripts...one that handles the title change on the "now playing" page and handles twofers that the system requests. The other handles listener requests and then makes the request a twofer.

Well...having both running made the queue REALLY long so we elected to have just listener requests be "fastpassed". well this wasn't a problem before because the 6am restart would cancel out the "system created twofers".

No more restarts means the script will run ALL tuesday....

I've already added this to my list of fixes for next week...

Now comes the tweeking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not complaining about the queue depth. I just tend not to request when it is deep because I don't know where I'll be when my requests come up. I try to get my requests in early in the AM.
It was a Monday when the regularly scheduled programs were running. I requested something and then realized that by the time my requests were played I would be in the car on the Interstate. I hope everyone enjoyed the complete track of "O'Canada".

You're welcome.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response time is excellent. Only items I'd like to see are cosmetic. I would like to see points displayed on the now playing screen.

And is there space to add the top 20 forums on the LEFT under the Support UAB box? I like having the wider width for the pages, and there looks to be space about the right size available here...
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way way faster. I love how the 'now playing' window is right up to date with the track that's playing, although the time remaining is still off - I've seen it say 30 seconds left when there's way more time left to go. I love not having the restart as well - typically that would happen just as I get to work and get started.

Issues:
The posts are difficult hard to read in the "view posts since last visit" query compared to the old one. Maybe the color coding was different or something, but the columns kind of blend together a bit. Very minor nit-pick, though.

Nice job
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvements are awesome! Today, I did notice though that if a song was, say, 7:20, then it would keep resetting back to 30 seconds. But, still great nonetheless!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the time thing I'm aware of....

For some reason the server resets it's time to a non standard at midnight...I've shutdown NTP which is the standard but it seems to persist.
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response time overall is very good. Nice job pulling off the database switch.

Only issue I've been able to notice (which I think actually was an issue prior to the new stuff) is that when you rate a track, the rating of that track 'stays active' on the next track. Thus, if I rate a track a 5... and then the song changes, the 5 is still highlighted. If I wanted to rate this next track a 5, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I can select something else (1-4) and the rating processes, however.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tannerman...I completely forgot about that...I dont get to rate things much...that's all your job Smile

You CAN however for the time being rate it a 4..and then switch it to a 5 (going by your example of course).
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the old system, I had a hard time with the Now Playing page refreshing (when a song would finish and the information would change onscreen). Usually it would sit there with a blank screen no matter how many times I hit refresh. I don't seem to have that problem now.[/u]
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many weeks since the upgrade? I have lost track. But performance has been great. The "Now Playing" function used to get me so frustrated i would give up. Now it flies. The broadcast has been so good that the last few weekends I have played it all day at home so I could here it while I was outside on the ladder painting. Not once has it gone down.

I can't even begin to think about how many new tracks have been added.

And when I am on Saturday and Sunday AM (About 7:00 est) I feel as if I have the entire site to myslef.

Just thought I'd check in and offer some feedback post-implementation.

Thanks a ton.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually today is 28 or 29 days ( I forget) without a restart...

Let me check...

::queue hold music:::

Ok I was wrong...29 Days 23 Hours and 17 minutes as of this writing...without an MCP restart, power outage, or internet outage (the later 2 are out of our power unfortunately) Smile.

Things are looking much better....BUT...there's still lots of work to be done.
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous improvement! Mine doesn't lock up anymore. And "now playing" actually shows what is playing, not what played 2 tracks ago.
Thanks!
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, got the MCP restart loop today at 5:04 PM, ET.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: