Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Big Changes Coming to Epcot's Spaceship Earth

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Big Changes Coming to Epcot's Spaceship Earth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Big Changes Coming to Epcot's Spaceship Earth Reply with quote

Well, we all know that Siemens became the new sponsor of Spaceship Earth last year... since then, there have been high hopes for some renovation and improvements....

The beginning of this is the new post show area, which has been under construction for several months... the new name "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow presented by Siemens", which is rumored to include some new video games, set designs, etc...

Here is a recent press release/article regarding the overall progress:

Epcot's 'Spaceship Earth' to Feature Re-Imagined Time-Travel Adventure and New Finale Presented by Siemens

At Epcot, a re-imagined Spaceship Earth will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale, presented by Siemens, which lets Guests imagine their futures.

Enhancements to the time-travel attraction will encompass changes to each of the ride scenes. New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along with new lighting effects, costumes, set decoration, narration and musical score. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

As Guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow presented by Siemens, where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Opening to Epcot guests later this month, the first completed phases of Project Tomorrow will include an illuminated globe — measuring 20 feet in diameter — that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow; Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body; and, Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens.

With phased renovations occurring through the year, Spaceship Earth's makeover is scheduled to be fully completed in early 2008.

Well, an internal memo has been leaked, that discuss the major phase, the closure and referb of Spaceship Earth itself:

ยท Through a partnership with Siemens we are building upon Spaceship Earth’s existing attraction and taking it to the next level of innovation.
ยท This summer, Spaceship Earth will close for renovations to combine the classic attraction time-travel adventure into the past with a new interactive conclusion. The attraction is expected to reopen in late November.
ยท In late April, guests will begin to see the first phase of transformation of the Global Neighborhood into “Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow.”
ยท “Project Tomorrow” showcases the ideas and technologies Siemens is working on to help make the world a better place for the future. The space will be filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase those innovative technologies.
ยท Three of five post show elements will open in late April showcasing “Project Tomorrow” at Spaceship Earth in an effort to continually enhance the overall guest experience.
ยท The interactive area at Spaceship Earth will remain open during the renovations.
ยท The last phase of improvements to the Spaceship Earth area will be complete by early spring 2008.
ยท All affected Cast Members will be deployed to other locations within Future World East.
ยท We appreciate you not sharing this information prior to Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 11:30 a.m. A plan is in place to share this change more broadly at that time.

For me, this is awesome news.... just don't SCREW IT UP! This is one of my favorite rides and I would hate for it to be screwed up...... Of course, this lends credence to the strong rumor about the removal of the wand (this has even been rumored on the Re-Imagineering blog... which I don't have an opinion about, either way (because I don't mind the wand, but admitting it is like saying that I am glad Horizon's is gone or that I like the new Imagination..... shhhhh).

Although, I am a little confused as to why they are going the post-show first and keep it open during the closure of SSE itself.... I guess this would keep everyone "focused" on SSE, even while it is closed... But wouldn't it have been better to do everything at the same time and have one huge grand re-opening?

Here's to hoping that the Imagineers and Siemen's know what they are doing and learn a lesson from the debacle known as "Journey Into Imagingation".... heh....
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I already have a follow up....

More inside info has been leaked, the wand is coming down! But, before you get excited, it is going to be replaced, not just removed.... the thing is that they have not decided on what to put up....

Apparently there are three concepts being discussed and these concepts have been leaked... see them for youself here:

There is also a rumor that the attachements will be done in a way, so that other overlays could be added or removed easily.... like a giant Mr Potato-Head... This way, SSE can be themed to whatever cheap crap they want to pendle at that time....

HAHAHAHAHAHA....

Ok, so none of that is real... I stole those images from Yesterland.Com, which is an awesome site for info and media about old school Disney rides and attractions.... The images themselves come from their article here: http://www.yesterland.com/epcotwand.html
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has always been one of my favorites, and it is probably Donna's favorite since it is the first Disnet attraction I took her on. We ride it several times every trip. I am interested in seeing what will be done. Although I didn'tioke the giant Mickey had at first, I have really come to like it. I have only seen the "2000" logo in pictures. I was away from the parks for 10 years 1993 - 2003. Maybe I like it because it is something to focus on that last mile plus of the marathon.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says keeping time travel, but is the theme changing away from communication?
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

Hmmmm... I wonder where I've seen that before?

Why not just bring back Horizons?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ride has been about time travel, while focusing on communications....

not sure how much they are planning on moving away from the "communication" themes...

Over at WDWMagic.com, they hvae a series of really good shots of the soon to be revealed post show. What little can be seen looks to be pretty cool... I also like the new SSE logo on one of the signs:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=169437
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read the press release...

everything SOUNDS good. I hope they won't monkey TOO much with the original coolness of the first half of the ride. I don't want to lose the music, either...it's so beautiful!

and yes, the 'choose your own tomorrow' is suspiciously horizonesque.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'd say its about time WDW got some updates with their original rides. Spaceship Earth has always needed updates in my opinion. After all, they said they are only adding new scenes and improving special effects. It can't be that bad.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what they said about Imagination?
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the starfield dome needs help! the rest i love as-is. but the last segment of the attraction has changed up a few times already...we don't have to freak out yet. although, i am a bit anxious.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, they said they are only adding new scenes and improving special effects. It can't be that bad
Quote:
Isn't that what they said about Imagination?

If they said anything else all the web forums would be full of "Disney Purists" ranting about how they were destroying the ride. I don't know. Could be minor, could be major, but that type of comment sure is safer.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like anyone important at Disney pays attention to forums....

If they did, they would have seen everyone's extremely positive reactions to word about HM being referbed (and getting DL's improvements) and they would not have killed the upgrades (which has drawn a lot of criticial reactions towards WDW mgmt)...
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then the papers get it, et al. I don't think it has too much impact, and suspect they like to be talked about. But they must like to keep it as positive as they can.
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaGuru, I just read through that Re-Imagineering blog. Fascinating, but now I want to do myself bodily harm... what a depressing site. No wonder all of the Disney Imagineers were so dour when I interviewed there. They're a miserable bunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprildecember wrote:
the starfield dome needs help! the rest i love as-is. but the last segment of the attraction has changed up a few times already...we don't have to freak out yet. although, i am a bit anxious.

The only part of the ending (backwards return to earth) sequence from my 1993 visit that I remember is the the spacemen out side the capsule. Maybe there is a ride through of that on youtube. I'd like Donna to see that. That was a cool feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: