Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Haunted MAnsion update discussion (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Haunted MAnsion update discussion (SPOILERS AHEAD)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Haunted MAnsion update discussion (SPOILERS AHEAD) Reply with quote

So those of you who have ridden the newly refurbed Mansion in Florida what did you all think.

First difference that's pretty obvious is the darkened palette of the "brick"...It appeared much darker than it had previously and also had a bit of a gloss to it. After entering the Foyer, I noticed that the "Gracey Portrait" was reversed (facing right instead of it's usual left).

The ERs now look very much like they do in Disneyland, opting for Red and Navy Blue rather than Yellow and Green. The new effects in this area are almost startling...the stretching sound gives a boost to the overall effect (besides drowning out the real creaks and knocks from the mechanics Wink.

Load area looks much more ellaborate. overall it looks great though the Sinister 11 has been cut to the Sinister 4 or 5, though I heard that yesterday they put portraits into the Corridor of Doors. Sorry I missed that.

The Disneyland Portrait Gallery looked a bit off to me...While they weren't able to get them working for the initial opening, the portraits are indeed flashing with the lightning as it should be, but the wall anchors and HUGE Ropes used to "suspend" the paintings from look a bit out of place...Also the walls all in all look a bit bare.

The Escher Staircase effect was among my favorite changes...I was hesitant to see what this would be liike....My jaw hit the floor for the overall effect...The Candleabras lighting on their own was also nice. Very good use of traditional illusion materials.

The wallpaper fade was also very well done...The wallpaper now fades from eerie eyes swaying back and forth to eventually what becomes the wallpaper blinking at you...to then what becomes just the standard CoD wallpaper...Great effect.

The Madam Leota effect has been tested here at Disneyland....while I love the Rear projection element the Ball isn't as mobile as the Disneyland Counterpart. There was also an issue of video/audio sync. Still a great improvement.

The Attic makeover looked fantastic...while this scene was duplicated from Disneyland's, a lot more webbing and dust gave it a more "forgotten" feel. The Bride however...was probably the worst of the effects...The facial projection was VERY off and looked as though she was wearing a Balaclava with a large opening for her eyes nose and mouth...the body animation was alright however..The Disneyland "Wedding March" was also added..

The Graveyard was pretty much the same with an update to the Singing Bust projections and some added Audio and new singing arrangements were also added.

Although I was quite impressed and will even go as far as to say that their mansion looks Stellar and gives the Disneyland Mansion a run for their money.

What did you all think...Good Bad Otherwise?
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I hadn't notices some of the color changes (I hardly ever notice things like that), I felt all the update/upgrades were well done! I have to say my favorite were the eyes fading into the wallpaper.

The technology updates are some of the most important. With these upgrades, overlays and additional changes can be made without too much hassle.

Overall, I have always had a soft spot for the WDW Mansion vs the DL Mansion...but now with these upgrades and enhancements, I have to say that WDW's mansion is better. Now, if DL were to take some of these changes, I think they might rank even.

WDW is still a work in progress...not all the effects are 100%. I'd like to go back in about 3-6 months to see what it looks like.

Any volunteers? hahahahahahahahahaha

Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed and appreciated all the work that went into it. The starcase effect (with the footsteps going up and down) was really cool. The sound was fantastic, and the wallpaper was really neat.

The part at the end of the ride, where the ghost is riding with you, reflected in the mirror was a bit of a disappointment....it looked exactly like my wife. I wasn't the only one who thought so...the creepy green guy with missing teeth, scraggly hair, and the torn clothes, sitting in the middle said the same thing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the staircase effects.... but I do have on thing to add, that might make it a little better... right now, they have this ghostly mist when the footstep fades away... Well, right now, it's the same LED effect as the footstep itself... I think it would be cooler if there was a real puff of mist/smoke/fog during the fade away... It would give it a more 3D effect...

But this referb shows what a difference just cleaning the attraction can make and how effective some "minor" improvements can be made...

Most of the "buzz" I've seen on other sites is what "new" effects there are in the graveyard and the ball room scene... These two scenes got almost nothing new, they were mainly just cleaned (ok, so they did a touch up of the paint and increased blacklight effects)... Would you believe, I never noticed the crashed hurse and mrsguru never noticed the guy under the table...

One of the best things about the stretching room is just the small improvements they made.... like the new scrim screen and increased lighting on the hanging guy...

Another small improvement is the endless hallway... you can actually see the candlellabra now... You could barely see it before, but now you can really see it... And don't forget that the suit of armour moves now...

I too love the eyes fading into the wallpaper is awesome... that is my favorite new effect.... followed closely by the improved stretching room...
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Look foward to seeing this when I'm there next week. Smile
Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio in the stretching room is a knockout. Standing in the middle, you truly get the sense that the Ghost Host is all around you, and the creaking wood really adds to the creepiness of the effect. Still on the fence about the bats flying about, it might be better if there somehow could be a visual element to it as well. Staying to the back also has advantages, as you get to hear the warnings issued by the ghosts as you leave the room.

The lighting on the hanging figure is fantastic as well. We could use that at DL.

Some of the Sinister 11 are indeed on the wall at the load area. A welcomed sight that they are still around.

I was disappointed that they didn't take the time to upgrade the piano player. He's still as stiff and fake-looking as always. At least replace the actuators so they don't hiss so loudly!

The Escher staircases, I agree, were the best addition of all. The ghostly footprints and the lighting candleabras were an incredible effect, and I find myself wishing they could be shoehorned into the DL Mansion somewhere.

Then, the eyes fading to the wallpaper. Wow. A great effect, as you can't really keep your vision focused on them to really see if they're following you, or blinking, or what. Plus, the whispers add a sense of real dread. Creepy!

I was glad to see the ugly had removed from the bending door, it just screamed phony to me.

Leota was good, but as tE said, the problems with synching were evident. Multiple ride throughs at different times of day would reveal a very bad problem.

The portraits in the attic scene were not working while we were there, sadly. But the bride was VERY bright, and clear. Moreso than her DL counterpart.

The graveyard looks fantastic with the clean up. Sadly, the singing busts suffered the same malady as Leota, and that was just kind of jarring.

I agree with Dave, that seeing it in 6 months would be interesting. Now if I could only convince the wife...
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i read some where that some of the effects from wdw hm are going to dl hm isn't that cool so next year we can see them in action there.....

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got to ride through once, but I was pleasently surprised at everything. Everything that was new I loved, especially the Escher-like stairs, and everything that was cleaned up made a huge difference. All the colors just seemed to POP and I hope that in 6 months or a year it isnt all so dull looking and drab. Maybe if they go a little easier on the application of dust and cobwebs?

IM glad to hear you all mention the audio problems... I thought maybe it was just me. Smile
While I'm sure that synchronizing audio to the effects is more difficult than I imagine, I was disapointed that they have that problem.

One question though - I remember hearing that it was in Jennifer Tilly's contract for the Haunted Mansion Movie - that she would be the new Leota if they updated the ride?

Last edited by MikeA on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeA wrote:
One question though - I remember hearing that it was in Jennifer Tilly's contart in the Haunted Mansion that she would be the new Leota if they updated the ride?

I certainly hope not Crying or Very sad
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was a rumor or urban legend... because it's not her voice or her face.... at least not at the WDW MK...
kray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daguru! I was worried about that!

Can;t wait to see it in person - 10 days to go!!!

Woohoo! Woohoo!
MikeA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research, and apparently there was a catch to Jennifer Tillys contract - the movie had to be considered a HIT. If it was, then she would get the honor of being in the new Madam Leota.

Quote:
Murphy's Mansion co-star, Jennifer Tilly plays Madame Leota — a disembodied head floating in a crystal ball. She negotiated her contract to stipulate that, if the film is a hit, her head and voice would replace the decades-old theme park versions in Disney Haunted Mansion rides.

"It would be a shame," Tilly conceded. "The (original) voice is the same woman who did the voice of the evil queen in Snow White. I hate for tradition to fall by the wayside, but I would rather it was me!"

Here's a link to the article I found:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-11-24-haunted-premiere_x.htm

MIke A
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have had a hissy fit if they did that. An honest to goodness, bona fide HISSY FIT!

Not that I'm a traditionalist or anything... Smile
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've always thought the Haunted Mansion was the best place to try new things when it came to upgrades and I'm sure WDW's HM will only get better as time goes on. However I do have a couple of observations; 1) In the stretching gallery is the sound of the corpse hitting the floor supposed to occur in front of the hallway panel? It's almost as if you have to 'step over' the body to get out of the room. 2) Do the staircases themselves move from side to side, (as in...Harry Potter), or are they staionary? 3) How does "Little Leota" look and sound at the end, she could also use a touch-up since she is so high above the ground it is hard to see her face sometimes. Well , if none of what I've just stated makes any sense please let me know. I think the heat is getting to me out here. Later, peace.

Last edited by blinkereye123 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the sound of the body in the stretching room... I don't think it sounds like it is coming from behind the wall... I have never noticed that before....

With the stairs, they don't move around... they just shows the ghostly steps...

And regarding Little Leota, she has gotten a make over as well... I think she has a new outfit and she seems a little taller now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: