Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney-MGM to go Hollywood by adopting a new identity, logo

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney-MGM to go Hollywood by adopting a new identity, logo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Disney-MGM to go Hollywood by adopting a new identity, logo Reply with quote

From the Orlando Sentinel

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
October 26, 2007

Disney gets the whole name and Mickey Mouse gets the whole icon as Walt Disney World's 18-year-old movie-studio theme park prepares to adopt its new identity.

Disney unveiled its new logo Thursday for the soon-to-be-renamed "Disney's Hollywood Studios." It features the torso, arms and head of Mickey, who is holding a filmmaker's clapboard amid simple, brown lettering that gives the whole thing a retro-Hollywood look.

The logo replaces the more complex symbol that has hung at the gate since the theme park opened as "Disney-MGM Studios" in 1989. That one combined a full-bodied Mickey with a clapboard and the MGM lion insignia.

The name change, announced in August, takes place Jan. 7, reflecting Disney's determination to create a broader, updated image for the park -- and a likely split between Disney and MGM, a sometimes rocky partnership.

The new logo was presented to employees of the theme park Thursday morning.

"Mickey still plays a prominent role for us," said studios Vice President Michael O'Grattan, "and Hollywood now truly is our middle name."

The logo is clean-looking and simple -- and plays off two very recognizable brands, Disney and Mickey Mouse, said Mike Beirne, who observes the travel-and-tourism industry for BrandWeek magazine. He said it gives the park a fresh, new aura without necessarily creating anything new.

"They already have the awareness with Disney and Mickey Mouse, so I don't know if they need to generate any awareness [for the new name], as much as they want to play up that there is something new here," Beirne said.

To make it work, he suggested, Disney should have something new to offer in the park. A new ride, Toy Story Mania!, is set to open next year. Also in place or on its way: a new outdoor show, "Block Party Bash"; new costumed characters for the "Playhouse Disney-Live On Stage!" show; and a new High School Musical street show.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the logo on some other sites. I just don't think it fits with the style of the park. It has a modern looking Mickey, The word Disnsy is in Disney script, but the park is themed to the 30's and 40's.
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what everyone is talking about

I'm just glad the word "Pixar" doesn't appear anywhere....

Maybe I'm wierd (no comments!)...but I don't have a problem with this....
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't either.... with the new "retheming" of Studios, I don't know if the 30s & 40s motif will be used throughout or as the "dominate theme" any more...

I think that period of themeing will still be used for the front portions of the park, but the rest will be themed based on the types of attractions in that area, not a specific time period...
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope we dont start borrowing from the DCA ideas....
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. If anything, it seems a bit understated to me. Although, the art-deco font kind of had me before...
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellory wrote:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee too! No Pixar branding please.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as much of a traditionalist as the next fan, but the fact of the matter is that Disney hasn't had a HUGE hit in years, but Pixar keeps pumping them out. Pixar is part of Disney now. No one balked at Muppets when they became part of Disney, so why is everyone so anti-Pixar?

I agree that there are TONS of good Disney films and ideas to pick from, but they aren't in the current guests eyes, the recent stuff is. If the focus is people in their 40's and above, you're right, they are completely missing the boat, but that's not the audience they are targeting.

I'm just asking a question (or two Wink ) and offering MHO, I'm not trying to start a fight.

jahosifatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you just picked one.....
No seriously, I really like Pixar it's just that MGM has this great theme of the Hollywood that never was, and I really enjoy it. Plus, working there for so long I'm a bit biased.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sign... And frankly for what they paid for Pixar they sure need to get thier money's worth.

But as mentioned above NO DCA!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
I'm as much of a traditionalist as the next fan, but the fact of the matter is that Disney hasn't had a HUGE hit in years, but Pixar keeps pumping them out. Pixar is part of Disney now. No one balked at Muppets when they became part of Disney, so why is everyone so anti-Pixar?

It's not being ANTI pixar...and personally Knowing first hand what's going on, Pixar is trying to make Disney into Pixar....and not it's own identity. The software used, and everything else (as far as FA goes) including shared management is coming down from Pixar...Unfortunately not all companies can work like that.

Pixar movies are actually starting to die down a bit, with Ratatouille showing the least favorable box-office excitement yet. YET, pixar doesn't blame themselves, they blame Disney and their marketing machine (which was broken for Meet the Robinsons just as much as it was for Ratatouille....yet I heard more favorable things for MtR than I have for Ratatouille). Both films could have done better, but personally, The subject matter for ratatouille didn't interest me at all...In fact...to date..it's the only pixar

Quote:

I agree that there are TONS of good Disney films and ideas to pick from, but they aren't in the current guests eyes, the recent stuff is. If the focus is people in their 40's and above, you're right, they are completely missing the boat, but that's not the audience they are targeting.

I'm just asking a question (or two Wink ) and offering MHO, I'm not trying to start a fight.

Well lets see why they aren't in the public eye. Because They haven't been pushed their. The only classic fairytales that children upwards of age 12 know from recent times are probably those that have had crappy sequels produced or platinum series...but once the quick family marketing blitz for that is over...then there's no focus.

Disney's focused on more PIXAR based attractions than anything that might have new storylines ala Expedition Everest....heck even Mission: Space was Loosely based on Mission to Mars.

It's just a matter of balance...right now and for the last 5-7 years...Pixar attractions have been ruling above everything else. And even some of those attractions haven't been what they've cracked up to be.
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against Pixar, in anyway...I just want Walt Disney World and Disneyland to stay true to who inspired it. I have no problem with Pixar related rides or attractions....but...Walt Pixar World, just doesn't do it for me......
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellory wrote:
Don't get me wrong...I'm not against Pixar, in anyway...I just want Walt Disney World and Disneyland to stay true to who inspired it. I have no problem with Pixar related rides or attractions....but...Walt Pixar World, just doesn't do it for me......

Can I get an Amen!!!

Absolutely what a mouth full ,,,,but really if Disney put some of their older movies out to in the public eye it would be great...

Oh has anyone thought about the fact that if Disney uses anything else from George(Star Wars)Lucas They'd have to call Disney Lucasland for you see Pixar computer systems is a GL invention..... dang it I hate when his fingers are into something this big...... Steve Jobs and Mr. Laseter should give homage and pay tribute to the real "Force" in Hollywood, Who has made such an impact since Walt himself............

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think there would be a market for a lot of the classics. I sit around with friends and we all complain about there being nothing good to watch with the kids, and Disney has plenty of good family fare they keep in the vault, while they put out new stuff I can't show to the kids.
swarlock
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
Ellory wrote:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee too! No Pixar branding please.

I for one am relieved that it wasn't called Disney's Pixar Studios.

Don't get me wrong.

Nothing against the title. But this park has to have more than what's already there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: