Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Kingdom Keepers 2; Coming Soon!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Kingdom Keepers 2; Coming Soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Kingdom Keepers 2; Coming Soon! Reply with quote

Quote:
Coming Soon: Kingdom Keepers 2
It's been some time in coming but the second volume in the Walt Disney World-themed young adult book series Kingdom Keepers will be released later this summer. Kingdom Keepers II: Disney at Dawn by Ridley Pearson will arrive in bookstores on August 26th. Here's the synopsis provided by the publisher:

It's supposed to be a happy day at the Magic Kingdom-the return of the teenaged holographic hosts. But things go very wrong when a sudden lightning storm disrupts the celebration, and Amanda's mysterious sister, Jez, disappears. The only clue is the sighting of a wild monkey in the Magic Kingdom during the storm. The mystery deepens as Finn is contacted by Wayne, an old man he hasn't heard from in months. Wayne tells Finn that there's trouble at the Animal Kingdom: the evil Overtakers have gained control of one of the computer servers that will be used to operate Daylight Holographic Imaging there. That means that if any of the holographic hosts fall asleep, they will go into comas-permanently. Filled with action and brimming with the same meticulous detail as The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark, this second book in the series-Disney at Dawn-is the result of hands-on research behind the scenes at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. Young and older readers alike will get a glimpse into a second Disney kingdom. The wild rides have only just begun; and the clock is ticking. How long can the teens keep themselves awake in their quest to find their friend-and what happens if they fail?

The first Kingdom Keepers, also penned by Pearson and released in 2005, was a generally fun, if not a bit wacky at times adventure. It clearly was intended to be the beginning of a series and many readers had begun to wonder if the project had been abandoned. It's interesting to note that when the sequel was first announced earlier this year, the title given was Kingdom Keepers: the Rise of Chernabog.

Source: 2719Hyperion.com; http://www.2719hyperion.com/2008/06/coming-soon-kingdom-keepers-2.html

The first one was ok, a little hokey and totally inaccurate... but a good read. Since they mention research being done at DAK, maybe this one will be more accurate. Also, notice that this IS going to be a series, with more to come. Check out the 2719 Hyperion post above for a shot of the book's cover.
Dyemooch
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmn... I kinda liked Kingdom Keepers, so I'll probably be reading the second one in hopes that it's a little more pleasing than the first. My biggest gripe was associating Malifacent(sp?) with ice... I dunno; maybe I'm just being picky?

I am looking forward to this, though. Thanks for the news : D!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Hill posted a review yesterday of the new book yesterday:

"Disney at Dawn" continues the adventures of the Kingdom Keepers
Jim Hill reviews the latest installment of this Ridley Pearson series, an adventure book for young adults which is primarily set at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park

When we left Finn, Willa, Philby, Charlene and Terry at the end of "The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark" (Disney Editions, September 2005), these five plucky teenagers had just defeated the Overtakers -- that mysterious group of characters led by Maleficent herself who were out to destroy WDW's Magic Kingdom.

But as "Kingdom Keepers II: Disney Before Dawn" gets underway ... Well, you just can't keep a super powerful Disney villain like Maleficent down for long. This evil fairy busts out of her magical holding cell (Which -- this time around -- is located in the highest tower of Cinderella Castle) and immediately begins scheming as to how she can bring about Disney World's downfall.

Of course, as soon as the Kingdom Keepers learn that Maleficent is once again on the loose, they're determined to do what they can to recapture from "Sleeping Beauty" 's villainess. But this situation suddenly gets complicated when Finn & his friends discovered that their pal, Jezebel, has disappeared while visiting the Magic Kingdom.

The evidence all seems to point to Jezebel being snatched by Maleficent and her cronies. With this pretty teenager then being hidden away somewhere in the 500 acre parcel that makes up Disney's Animal Kingdom.

So once again, it's up to the Kingdom Keepers to try & solve this case. As they split up and search for clues out on the savanna of Kilimanjaro Safaris, along the twisty trails of the Maharajah Jungle Trek, even behind-the-scenes at Conservation Station's veterinary center.

Okay, I know. "Kingdom Keepers II: Disney Before Dawn" ain't exactly great literature. And Disney history sticklers are sure to get ticked off with some of the stuff that author Ridley Pearson plays fast-and-loose with (i.e. Walt had a set of rooms that he used inside of Cinderella Castle? Really? ).

But let's remember that this is an adventure book for young adults, folks. So you kind of have to grade on a curve here. Recall what it was like to not be so jaded & judgmental when it came to the stuff that you read.

And when you embrace that kind of mindset, "Kingdom Keepers II: Disney Before Dawn" can be a lot of fun. I mean, who among us hasn't wondered what it might be like to slide down the zipline that Tinker Bell uses every night when she flies over the Hub at the end of "Wishes" ? Or wanted to wander around inside of "Expedition Everest" to get a closer look at that Yeti. Who -- according to Mr. Pearson -- may be a lot more than he appears to be.

The story ends happily ... sort of. With one friend rescued while another get spirited away by the evil fairy and her minions. And as "Kingdom Keepers II" draws to a close, it's clear that Ridley intends on extending this series. With the next set of adventures most likely taking place at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

So if you're looking for a breezy read for the 11-to-14 year-old Disney theme park fan in your family (You know the one that I'm talking about. That guy or girl who has wondered aloud what it might be like to be trapped inside of "Dinosaur" when all of those prehistoric animatronics suddenly came to life and started attacking your Time Rover), then you should definitely get them a copy of this 377 page hardcover.

Source: Jim Hill Media; http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/09/24/disney-at-dawn-continues-the-adventures-of-the-kingdom-keepers.aspx

Sounds like he is keeping the vibe from the first book.... sounds interesting?!
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the first Kingdom Keepers on tape a few years ago, during a long drive. I didnt know when I got it it was considered a book aimed at young adults. I enjoyed it, and I probably will pick this one up too.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 40 year old grown man, and thought the first book was great..... I enjoyed it and was looking forward to reading it each night. I was excited to hear another book was on its way and lo and behold I picked up a copy at the parks when we were there 2 weeks ago....

A great read recommended to all UAB'ers ( just remember to withhold judgment on all the nonfactual faux paus that you come across and just take it for face value)
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you are interested, the book has already been released. You should be able to order it from any book store... If we head out to Disney this weekend (probably will), I will see if it has shown up in the stores there yet.... Stay Tuned!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you convinced me to go and get a copy of both the old and new book. Let you know how I like them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: