Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - First my corn dog nuggets, now this!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

First my corn dog nuggets, now this!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: First my corn dog nuggets, now this! Reply with quote

So, I just came across this article in the LA Times...if I can't indulge in french fries on vacation...what is the point!!!

"Disney to remove McDonald's spots from California theme park

From Bloomberg News,
11:31 AM PDT, August 07, 2008

Walt Disney Co. is eliminating McDonald's Corp. fast-food restaurants at its Disneyland resort.

Three McDonald's locations at the Anaheim park will close Sept. 2 as part of planned refurbishments, Disneyland spokeswoman Lisa Haines said today.

Disney, seeking to promote healthier eating habits among children, said in 2006 it would license its characters to sell fruits and vegetables. The company also has stopped promoting its films with Happy Meals from Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's. Disney said in 2006 it would remove foods containing so-called transfats, an artery-clogging ingredient now banned in New York City, from its theme parks by the end of 2007.

"We are considering a number of concepts that will offer our guests a wide variety of food options," Haines said. "Disney's parks continue to have a relationship with McDonald's."

McDonald's spokesman William Whitman confirmed the Disneyland outlets will close. Walt Disney World, near Orlando, Fla., will continue to operate three restaurants that serve McDonald's burgers and fries, Haines and Whitman said.

Kid's meals at fast-food restaurants including McDonald's are too high in calories and fat, the Washington-based Center for Science in the Public Interest said in a report this week."

Ugh! I don't want to be told to be healthy or to save the environment when I'm on vacation!!!

: )
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely we should be able to choose not be told no you won't or can't how frenken old are we anyway the government or big corporations are not my parents.

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a load of manure. Mad
I'll decide what I wan to eat... and believe it or not, I do in fact choose fruits and vegetables quite frequently. But!!! If I want a Dole Whip this time, instead of a fresh Dole pineapple spear, then its my business.

What's next - a trip through a mandatory sun screen booth on the way into the park? And maybe they should get rid of the fireworks - all that smoke and loud explosions can't be good for you either.

Just thought Id add too that I dont ever even get the french fries at the McDonals stands... I just dont like the path that it leads us down.
kraysister
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and honestly - I can't imagine that the turkey legs aren't just as unhealthy as the Mickey D french fries yet there still going to sell those?!
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraysister wrote:
and honestly - I can't imagine that the turkey legs aren't just as unhealthy as the Mickey D french fries yet there still going to sell those?!

Careful...wouldn't want to give them any more ideas!!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 thoughts....
I can see adding options to offer healthier snacks. It is just good business to offer them. but the same holds true for the FF and other not quite so healthy snacks. If they want to offer better options great, but leave the choice up to me, the consumer.

As to the Happy Meals... I never particularly cared for having the house cluttered with little plastic toys that don't really do anything but take up space. And the toy being from a Disney movie or not is not going to have any influence on my spouse taking the kids there and getting more of the plastic piece of ... Obviously this is purely political, or it is Disney trying to put McD in a position to get something else they want out of them.
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rediculous. When its raining or cold and I'm walking around Disneyland, all i can think of is those nice warm french fries, not how much calories there are in them! It can't be that much worse than disney food.. Wink
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why I, a grown up, cannot choose to eat what I want??? I go on vacation to ENJOY myself...do things I don't do in everyday life.

If that includes eating corn dog nuggets or (heaven forbid) French Fries!!! Seriously...if someone eats that way all the time---that too is their choice.

If Disney wants to add healthier options...great. Just give me the option to splurge and go wild because I'm on vacation.

(argh)

MikeA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onecutemoose wrote:

If Disney wants to add healthier options...great.
Just give me the option to splurge and go wild because I'm on vacation.

AMEN TO THAT
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard rumors to the effect that there is more to this than just the "Health issues". Something to do with the ongoing corporate relationship.

Can't remember where I read it however.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be more in Disney's interest to state that if it is true that to patronize me and discount my ability to choose what I want to eat Smile

I did read in the initial article that they were going to continue working together in other areas...I know they had some happy meal toy issues awhile back...

I just have real fear that someday eating at Disney won't be fun anymore. Sad

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onecutemoose wrote:
I think it would be more in Disney's interest to state that if it is true

Not sure I'd agree with that. Publicly saying you are having relationship issues with another company, (if that is true at all and is part of the reason) would have BIG impact in trying to fix the relationship and could also adversely effect any relationship with other companies that might be rocky... ("Look what they did to McD's. We don't want that -dump them").

I agree, too many folks telling us what to do, how to live and what we "Should" be doing, and those are the same folks that are telling us that what we think we should do, and how we should live, are wrong because it is in convient for them.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder...it was rather public knowledge when McD's and Disney had a bit of a row about the Happy Meal toys...

I guess at this point, as I've been thinking...is what does the future hold. I know lots of folks who love the Orville Redenbacher popcorn, or a churro...soda pop....ice cream...I don't want to see these snacks disappear. I really don't want to see them replaced with a little bag of grapes that will cost me about $3.00.

I know this has come up before...and Disney is an all-american icon. I just wish they'd respect our liberties 'cause I don't think they're losing any money on these snacks we all love! (I know I set aside a certain amount of my spending money specifically to go all out on my snacking)

anyway...I can hardly wait to have my fill on our Septober trip to WDW!!! May as well go overboard--not knowing if my favorites will just disappear before I'm able to return!!

Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many big companies are under huge pressure from helath groups and governments about food options. Look at the states that are banning trans-fats. And you know these agengies go after the big guys to make a point. Disney, I'm sure, has already been approached and is making moves on it's own before being beat up in the press by health groups, etc. Keep the picketers away from the gates.
AlecM
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another instance of Disney trying to shove this healthy stuff down our throats. Seriously, if people want to eat that stuff, let them eat it. They can suffer the consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: