Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Another Live Act cut by Disney

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Another Live Act cut by Disney
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Another Live Act cut by Disney Reply with quote

It is being discussed on several outlets, message boards, and newsites that another Entertaiment show is being dropped by Disney:

Four for a Dollar is being dropped from Disney, their last performance will be Sept 20. If you aren't familure with them, they are the acapella group that performs before the BATB show at DHS. Sad

These guys are the latest in string of recent cut backs to the Entertainment portion of the parks (including character dining changes, Pocahontas, Fantasmic, and Woody's Round-up)...

I wonder what will be next..... Sad Surprised

Mad I SWEAR THAT IF YOU DROP OFF KILTER I WILL NOT RENEW MY AP!!!!!! Mad
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. I really liked the comic twist they threw in with the singing.

Is Fantasmic gone from WDW?
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppelindude wrote:
Is Fantasmic gone from WDW?

Not that I'm aware of...we just signed up for the Fantasmic! supper package for out Septober trip.

: )
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasmic isn't gone, but starting next year it will only be shown twice a week. Looks like it will only be shown on Mondays and Thursdays I believe, no weekend shows. It is supposed to start in January and last for several months. No word on whether it will be go back to everyday during the busy summer seasons on stay just 2 nights a week. And no word on any replacement or fireworks show the rest of the week.

WDW is slowly becoming a boring place to be....
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad... Hopefully Disney realizes that by trying to save a few pennies they are getting less people to come to the parks.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fantasmic! thing doesn't seem to uncommon. It goes dark more in the off season at DLR as well. As does Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular.

I'd much rather have to plan to be able to see a show I want on the day it is on rather than have it disappear altogether.

zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the question is, are these time changes to allow for more refurb times between shows, or just cutting back?
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppelindude wrote:
But the question is, are these time changes to allow for more refurb times between shows, or just cutting back?

I don't think it matters...if it is a slower season and the crowds are a lot smaller it isn't a bad idea in my book.

When we visited in February last we went to Fantasmic! and it was less than 1/4 full. That just isn't good business.

We can complain all day about Disney cutting things...but if something is just sound business based upon number of guests/attendance/etc we should applaud.

I don't understand a lot of decisions Disney makes and some sadden me greatly...but the show isn't gone...if they can make decisions that KEEP something going that is good.

I think guests need to take some responsibility in their Disney experience...plan the days you want to see shows etc. If you want everything to be running--go in peak season and fight the crowds for it.

I am not happy about a lot of the smaller acts being cut and not replaced...I can only hope that they will return or something different will pop up.

I dunno...I just don't see something slowing down for a slower season as a bad thing.

Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with OCM. I remember going to WDW in the late 80's, early 90's and it wasn't until my 3rd trip that I actually got to see the fireworks. During slow periods in the park, we usually went in April, Disney didn't have the fireworks everynight. You had to plan which night you wanted to go to MK to see them. I don't think cutting back on Fantasmic is permanent. I think it will be based on crowds at the park.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always in Florida around Oct/Nov and the fantasmic show is always full. Don't think I've ever seen it partially filled.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the cutbacks will only remain in place during typically slower times (like they do at DLR). This is a very popular show...and one that I could much more easily see Disney responding to. Especially if they start to see their nighttime attendance fall dramatically as a result.

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on a few other sites how even more entertainment is in the process of being cut or already has been cut. Over at the Magic Kingdom, the Family Fun day Parade and Woody's Cowboy Camp will end towards the end of September. Some of the live acts out at Epcot are being dropped, including Spelmanns Gledje (Norway) and OrisiRisi (Outpost). I've also read a rumor that a few of the performers at the Rose and Crown were not retained. At least Off Kilter is still there.... for now Smile. Animal King has several acts that have already been dropped, including Wes Palm , Karuka Acrobats , Inka Sikuri. And the Pocahontas and her Forest Friends is also scheduled to end toward the end of the September.

I believe most of the live acts are not necessarily being fired or released, their contracts are expiring and just not being renewed by Disney. However, I may be wrong on that part and they may be released... not sure

Man, the parks are going to seem a little empty with all of these cuts...
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have read in the pst (I don't recall where...) that Disney frequently allows contracts to expire with out renewal for a few reasons. It means they can replace the performers at a lower cost as many contracts bump the rate on renewal, and it allows them to get rid of dead wood, and also bring in fresh new acts. I'd like to give them some opportunity to see what happens next spring. Maybe they are simply making room for a new round of entertainment.

Probably not, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have read says that Fantasmic is simple money saving. Bad practice if they do not change it in the busy season. I have never seen an un sold out show though at any time.

Compared to Disneyland, Seating for Florida Fantasmic is awesome. I will not complain again!

Re: Four for a Dollar, they were good but did they ask for more money? Is it all a no go from Disney or is Four for a Dollar causing some problems contractually?
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that if acts aren't being renewed...they will be replaced. The live acts are absolutely a part of the Disney experience.

Fantasmic!...I don't think show crowd is a good determination on whether it is a go---again from a financial standpoint. If we use DLR as an example, every show is packed---whenever it is going. However, actual park attendance might be quite low that day. It is the sale of tickets that generate revenue for these shows. It has to balance (or make money) in the end for the shows to work with the budget.

This is why I lean toward the assumption that in off peak times it won't run daily, but in busier ones, it will.

I'm going to DLR in December--pre-peak season. I want to see Fantasmic!. Therefore I will plan my trip so that I can see it--it is only showing one night that I will be in the park.

Planning...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: