Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - IE help

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

IE help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> White Courtesy Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: IE help Reply with quote

Hi this is not a site thing it is an IE stinks thing. I have a pop ad thing that is driving me insane, and telling me to drop IE is not helping. Smile My wife uses it so it is my porblem. I have tried everything that I know ie, deleting cookies, temp files, increasing security levels. I need help this is a head ache.

Also I am having problems setting up my wifi but I will leave that for another day.

I know you techies out there in UAB land can figure this out easily. HELP ME!!!!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things...

You may want to check you internet provider. Frequently they will offer popup blocking for you, that can save you a lot of grief. For example I use Yahoo, by AT&T and they offer popup block options that do appear to work most of the time.

Next, check your anti-virus software (or anti-spam if you have it...) frequently they will also have options to prevent popups.

If you have firewall package, might be worth looking there as well.

Next, in IE, under tools there should be a setting for blocking pop-ups, but it does a poor to miserable job usually...

The Google Toolbar for IE also comes with a popup blocker and it is also a useful toolbar. But one negative, the latest version does not allow you to list the blocked pop-ups so you can choose to show one if needed. The older version did...

One other issue, the more popup blockers you turn on the more places you need to turn off or check when it is blocking sites you actually want to see.

Next, check that you have the latest version of IE that is not beta code. Microsoft is making IE smarter and better as it matures.

And last, although you said your wife needs IE...
I would still strongly suggest checking out firefox. There is no reason why you can not have multiple browsers on a single machine.
I run several, including IE, my ISP'd flavor of IE and Firefox, and I usually have two or more open at the same time without any issues at all.

So you could have IE for her and firefox or another for your purposes.

Downloading and installing firefox is faster than playing with IE settings, and it will not change your default setting to make itself the default browser unless you tell it to. So your wife will still default to IE and work as she does now.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, there are a number of pop-up blockers out there that you can use. Heck, IE7 (which you should be use) has it's own pop-up blocker that does a fairly decent job...

However, it is possible that this is more than just pop-ups from websites, it is possible that they are coming from spyware or a virus on your computer. I recommend updating your antivirus, spyware, security, etc software and then running full scans.

For the spyware problems, Microsoft offers MS Defender, that is pretty good on the spyware. But I always recommend at least two different spyware applications, no one app is good enough. I would also recommend using Spybot to Ad-Aware on your system. (I personally run all three on my home computer).

For the virus, you can using Microsoft's Antivirus application (and is free). If you are looking for something free that is really good, trying using AVG Free. If you don't have one and looking to buy, try CA's security suites, they are very effective and take only a fraction of the system resources that McAfee and Symantec use (again, CA is what I use on my personal computers).

Hope that helps Jason!
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a Mac Very Happy
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, can I be as helpful as Jaho too.....

Use Opera... 'nuff said!
jahosifatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concurr w. Opera.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://daguru.org/muninn/forums/smilies/smilieeek2.gif

OMG... I can't believe we actually agreed on something!

Razz Laughing
eatmon74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Funny because Wifey is getting a Mac for work. Laughing
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac is indeed a viable choice for most people. There's still a huge gap in the available software for the Mac vs the PC. Theres usually at least 1 software title for a Mac user to use to do a given task, while on the PC theres a dozen different titles to choose from. The bundled iLife software is nothing short of amazing... easy to use and very professional results. They're somtimes limited in the more advanced features (because they're written for a novice user) but you might be surprised at the results.

Macs are still way over-priced, and most of the software is a bit pricey too. As far as viruses go, theres still a threat, but alot smaller. This is really only because the Mac is alot smaller target for hackers, and they just seem to concentrate on the other 90% of the computer population; the PC.

I manage the technology in a school district, and we had about 1000 Macs until 2 years ago when we went PC. PC's are higher maintenance, but in a school the price difference eventually just got too attractive on the PC to ignore any longer.

As for the Pop UP... if you get random popups then yeah, sounds like spyware. I use Microsoft One care, and have for about 2 years now.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok tell me if I need expert. My cpu keeps trying to upgrade xp and says that the upgrade is blockedthen it tottally messes up my computer. ie, my network conections disappear some programs do not run. I tried restoring and it fixed the problem I thought till I tried using the computer this morning. Overnightthe cpu tried to update and it messed it up again. With all my recent problems should I take it to someone? Help.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you have a techie friend local that can come over and take a look at it for you, that may be you best bet. Sounds to me like something in your operating system is corrupted. Be it just a conflict with the upgrades and existing code or you have a virus or bot of some type. What you are describing does not sound like good news.

I'd try running as many spyware removal and anti-virus as you can get to load and run.

If you do not have a friend local that can do that, patiently working with folks on the forum will work until IE fails on you completely might work. But ti will take time and require gobs of patience. If you are not patient, getting it professionally looked at might be less frustrating. I suspect however their solution will be to rebuild the machine. They tend to like the one size fits all solution.

My personal advise would be to try the restore one more time and then back up every possible thing to a new set of backup disks. That might at least save your data and save you big bucks if a tech has to do it for you. (Also there is suppose to be a way to tell windows to not take down an upgrade but I don't know what it is... sorry.)

Risk is, if this is virus related the backups might be infected as well.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fan. That is what I did last night. Everything but wireless is working good again. I ended up restoring to way back in June when I knew that the computer was running ok. I will see if in a couple of days if it worked. Thanks for everyone's help!!!!
MikeA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a common practice I redo my computer from scratch every year or so. It runs faster, and I don't have as much unplanned down time then either. I'd rather do it under my terms and make sure everything is backed up.

I usually buy a new hard drive to install windows on, and put in the old C drive as D: so I can copy stuff over as I need (or dont need)
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason.... I would say that you are definitely infected with some sort of spyware. You were probably able to go far enough back before the damage was done to your system. I would still run SpyBot and MS Defender and keep them running. Spybot has a nice feature called TeaTimer, that runs in the background at all times and takes no system resources. It will pop up whenever ANYTHING wants to make a system change, registry entry, etc... you have to approve or deny it, so you always know what is being installed or configured on your computer. And no, it is not as annoying as Vista approve/deny. I've been using it for years and almost no issues!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good advise there....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> White Courtesy Phone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: