Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - GM Looks to be out of Test Track

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

GM Looks to be out of Test Track
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: GM Looks to be out of Test Track Reply with quote

This one comes from the Orlando Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-biztesttrack04030409mar04,0,4184081.story

Since GM is having serious financial issues, it looks like they will not be renewing their sponsorship agreement and the resolution could be known as soon as this month!

If you read the Sentinel's article, they talk about Disney turning the attraction into a Cars theme, but I wonder about this. I know Disney has had a lot of plans for Pixar Place over at DHS, which have included a smaller version of Carsland that is being built at DCA. I know they are doing a Mater themed racing attraction based on TT technology, but would it work as a single in Epcot's Future World?

There has been a long standing rumor that Disney may also be talking with Toyota to take over sponsorship (also discussed in the article) and I've recently seen a few things about Honda expanding their current DLC sponsorship to include TT.

What would you guys like to see happen.... well, I mean other than tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding Horizons Jaho! Smile
meyer4
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for a Horizons return! Bouncing Jack
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test Track is too big and too popular for Disney to close it, even if it did lose sponsorship. It's happened before after all, with other Epcot pavillions. Besides, given the current economic climate which has frozen a lot of WDW's development plans, it would make a lot more sense to simply keep operating the attraction than try and build a new one with a new sponsor.

They would, I suppose, have to remove the GM references though.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C33 wrote:
Test Track is too big and too popular for Disney to close it, even if it did lose sponsorship. It's happened before after all, with other Epcot pavillions. Besides, given the current economic climate which has frozen a lot of WDW's development plans, it would make a lot more sense to simply keep operating the attraction than try and build a new one with a new sponsor.

They would, I suppose, have to remove the GM references though.

Maybe a merger of some old attractions. "Dreamfinder presents Body Wars Test Track Horizons"
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we could shoe horn Horizons in there. Just give me a chance!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, alright you have inspired me! Grab your shovel and meet me behind Test Track... let's get this thing started!
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all you have to do is look to the other side of Future World to see what will happen to Test Track . It will be renamed Car's Test Track and friends. They will add a few cheesy cardboard cutouts and poof brand new attraction to promote.
FilmBuff90
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, I like daguru's idea. Though I'm on the opposite coast, I can surely send some stealth construction equipment. How does an invisible streamroller strike you? Razz
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Epcot needs to stay as Disney-Character Free as possible. The fact that Epcot doesn't have a Fab 5 character popping out on each corner like the other parks do keep the overall goal of Epcot as an educational journey alive. I'm not going to learn too much from Tow Mater telling me I need to "Hang on, cuz yer gounna go fast!". I would muhc rather see a Car Co. Like Toyota or Honda to pick the sponsership up and keep it the same it is.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. No character tie in needed. My 4 year old grandson is into all of the Disney characters and likes test track. I don't thinkl he would get anymore thrill if Mater was there.
jahosifatz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be seriously bummed if they throw another character into an Epcot attraction.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting they'll find another car manufacturer to step up as sponsor. I'm not sure how you could have a character incorporated into the ride without drastically changing it. Unless, hmmm.... Mr. Toad's Required Driver's Ed Course!
el_duderino
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't turn it into a Cars-themed ride. Surely Toyota or Honda wouldn't have a problem picking up the sponsorship. My nephew is obsessed with Cars, and I don't know if I can stomach seeing Test Track taken over by it.
Motorcycle
FilmBuff90
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars and Mr. Toad do not belong at EPCOT, considering the futuristic vibe of it.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FilmBuff90 wrote:
Cars and Mr. Toad do not belong at EPCOT, considering the futuristic vibe of it.
I agree but how do you explain Nemo taking up residence at the Living Seas and that silly looking purple "thing" that has cursed future world since1982. The people loved it so much that when Mickey finnally gave him the axe everyone cried out in horror. So why I agree with the idea of no characters in Epcoy Center the masses seem to like it. Oh and for you members that have been around for a while Pal Mickey helped me write the part about the Dragon who must not be named.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: