Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Updated Hall of Presidents Openning Soon

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Updated Hall of Presidents Openning Soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Updated Hall of Presidents Openning Soon Reply with quote

The cleaned and updated Hall of Presidents opens soon (I think the AP preview is this weekend), the Orlando Sentinel has a sneak peek on the improvements:

Details emerge from Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom

Had a mini-sneak-peek at the revamped Hall of Presidents this afternoon at Magic Kingdom. Showing us around -- but not the whole presentation -- was Eric Jacobson, senior vice president at Walt Disney Imagineering. Here are some tidbits he shared about HoP, which is set to reopen officially on July 4:

+ The front room/pre-show has been reorganized a bit. Some of the presidential portraits have been replaced, and the imagery has quotations beneath them. A new display area features dresses from three first ladies: Elizabeth Monroe, Edith Roosevelt (Mrs. Teddy) and Nancy Reagan. (The silk dresses of Monroe and Roosevelt are reproductions).

+ Reagan sent a selection. "Mrs. Reagan actually -- at the Reagan Library -- picked out six dresses for us to rotate through the collection," Jacobson says. "She picked them out herself." Her outfit will change every six months, but she'll start off in a black-sequined number. The gown area is flexible. "Maybe some day we'll have one of Michelle Obama's outfits in here," Jacobson says.

+ New wording has been placed on an interior wall. It now reads "Welcome to the Hall of Presidents, a Celebration of Liberty's Leaders." Outside, the building gets its first marquee (still covered, as seen in photo above. Photo by Joe Burbank, shot Tuesday.) (Previously, there was merely a sign in the planter.)

+ The film, now narrated by Morgan Freeman, is a bit trimmer, and the Animatronic section expanded. "That's what they [park guests] come to see," Jacobson says.

+ The emphasis of the attraction is more about the history of the presidency and the presidents as people. Before, it was more of a history lesson, and this change will help distinguish the Hall from the American Adventure presentation at Epcot.

+ The film still will end with the Space Shuttle as the curtain rises to reveal the presidents.

+ Barack Obama stands to Abraham Lincoln's right. Lincoln sits front-and-center still. Obama wears a dark blue suit and burgandy tie.

+ Obama recorded the oath of office and a speech prepared by Disney (with minor changes) in the Map Room of the White House.

+ The Obama model is the next level of Animatronic, Jacobson says. "He has more facial expression than we've ever done before. He's our most advanced figure we've done, but he's not a completely new generation with everything starting over," he says. "The challenge is that everyone see him every day on television. Everyone's an expert on Obama."

+ George Washington stands and speaks for the first time in the Hall of Presidents. He is voiced by David Morse, who portrayed Washington in the HBO series John Adams. His lines are an actual quote from Washington, on how he felt as he was sworn in.

+ The roll call is at a more leisurely pace than the previous version. And some of the men have been repositioned to lessen the "ping-pong effect" of the roll call. All have been reprogrammed, but you won't necessarily notice, because of the changes in the scene and the new pacing.

+ Alas, no photos allowed yet. Disney is not ready for Obama's closeup yet. "We're sort of in dress rehearsals right now," Jacobson says. "We haven't had any audiences other than ourselves."

Source: Orlando Sentinel Blogs; http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2009/06/disney-world-magic-kingdom-hall-of-presidents-barack-obama.html#more

Sounds really cool... it is about time that this attraction gets some upgrades (other than a new president every four years).
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of work and rethinking went into the new show. I wonder how they have rearranged them. I just got used to where they were sitting! I also wonder if the new movie is now less of a history lesson because a chuck of it was on slavery and now with President Obama they feel we have been able to move the focus forward more?

Do they give the Dems and Repubs different color ties?

You think the imagineers vote based on what person makes a better animatronic or if they 'don't want to do it all over again, it, was only 4 years ago..." I mean they can get extended use out of a re-election...saves money... Cool
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting for the incumbant so you don't have to add a new president to the hall is a better reason than what some of the folks I work with tell me they used...

I am glad they updated it and are giving the presidents more time. Particularly the letting George speak.

Personally I'd like to see a shot of the new marquee. I'd like to see how they did it in keeping with the theming of the area.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with all the other new stuff, there is also a new outside sign:
Source: WDWMagic
disneyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a nice sign for The Hall of President
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can seen descriptions and videos of the new show over here: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-hall-of-presidents-show-with-barack.html
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see this in 3 weeks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, here are a few more official photos that Disney has released from the the HoP... these photos are from the stage area itself and are pretty high quality: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/07/great-pictures-of-new-wdw-hall-of.html
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So realistic I understand he will be handing out bailout money for a funnel cake at Sleepy Hollow.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Turkey Legs stand is filing for Bankruptcy protection and needs a stimulus package to stay in business. Razz
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past Friday, Disney celebrate the reopening of the Hall of Presidents by holding a very large ceremony where 1000 people were sworn in as new American Citizens!

You can read more about the event and see some really cool photos over here: http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-918.asp
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked this attraction. Be interesting to see this in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: