Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - New UAB Broadcast Rotation based what's hot and what's not

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

New UAB Broadcast Rotation based what's hot and what's not
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: New UAB Broadcast Rotation based what's hot and what's not Reply with quote

We're changing the way you listen to UAB; one feature at a time! Gone are the days of having to endure certain tracks :::cough:::High School Musical:::cough::: just because the broadcast queues it up and says you do. We've changed the current format for automatic track play into something that will be generally maintained by YOU the UAB requesting community.

Previously, UAB would look at a specified list of Theme Parks, and pick the track that's has not aired in the longest amount of time. Once that track aired...it would be put to the back of the line and await it's turn again in rotation. If a request was made, the track was immediately shot to the front of the line, played, and it too returned to the end of the line waiting for it's turn to play.

This was VERY equal way to give all tracks a fair shot at airing when users weren't making requests. Unfortunately, while many of us have different tastes, there are some tracks that we can generally agree on that are automatically played (not via a request) too frequently for our tastes and preferences as to what we'd like to hear. :::cough:::High School Musical:::cough:::.

Now YOU the requesting community will essentially control what you want to hear on UAB beyond your specific requests. Now UAB will be paying attention to those tracks that are being requested, take note of them and add a special value to them. It applies a basic weighted rotation . In other words, each track starts out with a specific value. Each time the track plays, it gets aged by decreasing the value by a fraction causing the song to be played less and less. Those tracks that drop below a specified value will no longer be considered for the "Normal Rotation". Each time the track is requested, the weight is increased, causing the song to play more.

Thus, UAB's rotation is "self-maintained" by the UAB community based on YOUR requests. New and popular songs will be played more often than old and unpopular songs.

Please note that it will take a little bit of time to get the system used to what you prefer hearing and what you don't. The ONLY way to let the request system know what you want to hear is to make those requests and make them often!

Be on the look out for new features, changes, and other fun things coming to UAB soon!
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the work you've put into this! Looking forward to the improvements!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our pleasure....Just give it some time as you request...The broadcast will learn what's "hot and what's not" soon and you'll see a lot of changes in the broadcast.
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I kind of liked everything being played equally. Keeps everything fresh.

Thank you anyway. The amount of effort put into this station is great.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All tracks will still be available for requests....no tracks are going away....We're just tipping the scale a bit in favor of popular tracks.
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool change. Suspect it will take a bit of tweaking as we work through the first few weeks.

3 questions.

does this mean the infrequently or never requested tracks will never make it into the queue, or just that they will make it into the queue less frequently? (It is nice to get a surprise sometimes.... but I will admit sometimes it occurred too frequently...)

Does the track ratings that are assigned by the users when they hear a track play into the frequency of the track or just how often it is requested? I had assumed the tracks we rated excellent were already getting weighted higher than the tracks we rated a 1.

What is the thinking to use request frequency over track rating or will both be factors?
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to know if this will help me avoid that nostril Tracy (watch it convert the first name) track...! Laughing
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Clapping
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. In addition, I strongly suggest you all keep looking for and requesting those hidden gems that lurk in the shadows of UAB. Sometimes, I just like to randomly select tracks that are rarely played to see if they are gems.

Anyways, this a cool idea. Hoping it works out well.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Cool change. Suspect it will take a bit of tweaking as we work through the first few weeks.

3 questions.

does this mean the infrequently or never requested tracks will never make it into the queue, or just that they will make it into the queue less frequently? (It is nice to get a surprise sometimes.... but I will admit sometimes it occurred too frequently...)

Yes this will allow for tracks that aren't requested a lot / ever to play less frequently...if they go without a request for an extended period of time (months) they could run the possibility of dropping into a "do not automatically add to rotation" once it gets requested it will stand the chance to get ocassionally added into rotation automatically.

Quote:

Does the track ratings that are assigned by the users when they hear a track play into the frequency of the track or just how often it is requested? I had assumed the tracks we rated excellent were already getting weighted higher than the tracks we rated a 1.

Ratings aren't factored in to playlist rotation...1 Ratings are handled via web interface, the backend server processes request/track queuing. 2...half of the tracks contain some sort of 4+ star rating. There are some tracks that have high ratings that are rarely ever requested.
[/quote]

[/quote]
What is the thinking to use request frequency over track rating or will both be factors?
[/quote]

Request habits with few exceptions seem to evolve over time, everyone has their favorite tracks, I get that, daguru with Off Kilter, Eatmon with Poly, me and a few others with horizons and EPCOT tracks. Since these tracks are listener favorites why shouldn't they be considered for play more often (not overdone of course) than say, High School Musical, or the Cranium Command Demo...Besides now....you the community is in control of the playlist controls. As people have their fill of certain tracks and they become requested less and less (Spaceship Earth for example) they won't play as often.
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTKnight3 wrote:
I just want to know if this will help me avoid that nostril Tracy (watch it convert the first name) track...! Laughing

You just typed that so you could see the profanity filter kick in Wink.

and yes...it too will play less...Just ignore it and it will go away...Just like mom used to say.

-tE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
CTKnight3 wrote:

You just typed that so you could see the profanity filter kick in Wink.

and yes...it too will play less...Just ignore it and it will go away...Just like mom used to say.

-tE

RE: the filter...I am VERY glad it is there...but who chose the replacement word??? (note I said "chose" and not "picked".)
Re: what mom used to say...Me ex girlfreind's mom used to say that too!!! Surprised
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You have made some really nice changes to the site. We are lucky to have you working on this stuff. thanks.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I could do without so much of a few tracks...and I know many others share that sentiment. The ARTimals can march right down to the end of the queue perhaps.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some additional tweaks today. This should also help for a more favorable playlist based on your requests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: