Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Magic returning to Disneyland magic shop

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Magic returning to Disneyland magic shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Magic returning to Disneyland magic shop Reply with quote

Magic returning to Disneyland magic shop
October 7th, 2009, 3:00 am · 3 Comments · posted by Sarah Tully

The tricks and magicians are set to return to the classic Main Street Magic Shop at Disneyland next month.

Houdini’s Magic Shop is slated to take over as a private operator of the retail outlet when it re-opens in about a month, but it will keep the same Main Street Magic Shop name, Disney announced this week.

The shop closed Sunday so the store could be remodeled for Houdini’s takeover.

But even before it closed, the shop had lost its magic. Only generic Disney merchandise sat on the shelves in recent months, blogger Sally French reported.

Magic shops have a long tradition in Disneyland.

The first one — Merlin’s Magic Shop — opened near the Sleeping Beauty Castle on the park’s first day in 1955. The Main Street Magic Shop opened two years later. After Merlin’s closed in 1983, the Main Street location remained. Actor Steve Martin got his start at Merlin’s and briefly worked at the Main Street shop.

While Disneyland has run the Main Street shop since 1965, it was previously run by an outside operator.

Houdini’s was selected because of its strong reputation and the fact that it holds rights to key magic tricks, said David Gill, a Disneyland spokesman. Plus, Houdini’s will employ certified magicians to do tricks for guests inside the shop.

Houdini’s has run shops since 1983 and has locations in 10 spots, including a kiosk at Downtown Disney.

“I’ve had a passion for magic since I was a young boy. I am thrilled to be able to share my enthusiasm with Disney guests from around the globe,” said founder Geno Munari in a prepared statement.

The magic shop employees were moved to other stores during the remodeling.

Source: OC Register; http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/07/magic-returning-to-disneyland-magic-shop/20881/

Sounds great!
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! It will bring back more than one kind of Magic!! I was always disappointed how the shops that used to be unique wound up filled with generic merchandise.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great News!... Now how do we get all of the other theme period specific stores back as well and get rid of the long strip disney store?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I was in DL and went into the Magic Shop. It was a real disappointment that there was no magic. It was just a couple of years ago that the magic shop was a VERY active place. I'm glad they are going back to their roots here. Now if they could only do the same for the Music shop and others.

this is for tE...

BRING BACK WIZARD OF BRAS!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not like a music shop could not have a good merchandise..

Sheet music, CDs, Cassettes, DVDs, plushes of the characters in band paraphenalia, cloths related to disney, instruments, songs, etc.

They could bring in the "make record of an old attraction" back. Options galore. even if they rented or gave part of the space to a local musical repair shop to do thier work here it would improve the environment and theming.

Plenty of ideas if you want to be creative for this and for all the other store fronts making it more realistic and back to its original beauty.
MedievalBoy14
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the magic shop will sell magic again. I remember walking in when I went in August to find NO MAGIC in there! I was shocked. In my opinion, it was like when they took out Disneyland Forever from the music shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: