Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Announces new Monorails for WDW

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Announces new Monorails for WDW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Disney Announces new Monorails for WDW Reply with quote

WHOA... before anyone get's the wrong idea and too excited, Disney is not replacing the fleet of monorails. They are going to take the remains of the Pink and Purple monorails (which were in the accident a few months ago) and build a new one. The Pink and Purple colors are being retired and the new monorail will feature a teal stripe.

However, this still leaves the fleet one short (only 11, the previous was 12)... Disney has stated that they will build a replacement monorail and add it to the fleet some time next year.

I guess this means that the long shot wish of many: new monorails based on the new DLR monorails is not gonna happen.... BUMER!
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-world-monorail-101609,0,3042435.story

Walt Disney World has built a new monorail train using the undamaged remains of two trains that collided in a deadly accident over the summer.

The new train is expected to go into service later this fall.

It will be painted with a teal stripe to distinguish it from the resort's other trains, each of which have a unique color. Disney said the colors pink and purple -- the colors of the two trains involved in the collision -- will be retired out of respect for employees following the first fatal accident in the Disney World monorail's 38-year history.

That July 5th accident killed 21-year-old Austin Wuennenberg, a part-time monorail driver and college student from Kissimmee. It also sparked investigations by both the National Transportation Safety Board and the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which remain ongoing.

Disney declined to discuss details of procedural changes it has made since the accident. But it said the new train will undergo thorough mechanical and electrical testing before it begins carrying guests.

"The train will be subject to the same extensive testing as any new vehicle we add to our transportation fleet," Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said.

With the addition, Disney's monorail fleet will grow to 11 trains -- still one short of the 12 it had before the accident. The resort said it expects to add a 12th train next year.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had expected them to salvage the remains.

Would be nicew to see the fleet get an overhaul, but the expense there would be huge.

for that type of investment, I'd rather see the routes expanded to include the other parks and lux. resorts.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also expected them to salvage as much as possible but I still wonder if riding "Teal" will give people the Heebe-Jeebies.

So if they buy a new Monorail to replace number 12 (Call it Matthias?) what color should it be? I wonder if they could get a nice "Plaid" design for it? Of course the horizontal stripes make the monorails look thinner but... Razz
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTKnight3 wrote:
I also expected them to salvage as much as possible but I still wonder if riding "Teal" will give people the Heebe-Jeebies.

So if they buy a new Monorail to replace number 12 (Call it Matthias?) what color should it be? I wonder if they could get a nice "Plaid" design for it? Of course the horizontal stripes make the monorails look thinner but... Razz

Monorail Teal pulls into the station: "Uh... I'll take the next one..."

Not surprised on salvaging the two, though.

Plaid would be "Monorail Off Kilter". Very Happy
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
Plaid would be "Monorail Off Kilter". Very Happy

SWEET! I'm there!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished getting all of the monorail pins.... Now I got to get a Teal one!

They do not have a brown or tan one yet, nor light blue.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
SWEET! I'm there!

I knew you would be!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turquoise is still available as well...
Rust, well may want to avoid that one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: