Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - UAB on mobile devices

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

UAB on mobile devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
David,

Can you describe what you mean by Wonky? I don't believe that's a technical term Smile

Wonky is a technical term, just like FUBAR!! Smile

Pug described it perfectly. And it now works perfectly.

Nice job!!

rorpage
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up!
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
theEpiphany wrote:
David,

Can you describe what you mean by Wonky? I don't believe that's a technical term Smile

Wonky is a technical term, just like FUBAR!! Smile

Pug described it perfectly. And it now works perfectly.

Nice job!!

Seconded!

In absence of an official app, this will work just fine.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rorpage wrote:
Thanks David! I'll see what I can do about that.

If anyone has a Kindle Fire, the app is now available in the Amazon app store: http://amzn.com/B00AE8S1SG

Enjoy!

Last night I downloaded the app and gave it a good workout. I love the layout! It's very easy to navigate, and aside from the favorites list taking a very long time to load up (I assume that's because it puts everything on one page, and I have a full list), the core functions all seem to be behaving as expected.

I did encounter two bugs, however:

1. When the device screen times out and sleeps, the stream crashes and the app has to be force closed. I got around this by changing the time-out from five minutes to one hour, but this is a massive drain on the battery, as you can imagine.

2. When hidden tracks or other tracks that cannot be rated (station IDs, the Did You Know? segments, etc.) play in the broadcast, trying to rate them also causes the app to crash. It's easy enough to avoid doing so, but new listeners, especially those who might be downloading the app without ever having visited the site, probably wouldn't know that these tracks are unrateable on the actual website.
rorpage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you!

Quote:
aside from the favorites list taking a very long time to load up (I assume that's because it puts everything on one page, and I have a full list)

Yep, right now that's the way it works. I have to grab all of the song IDs and then get all of the song info. I will implement paging and that should help (trust me, I stopped using it myself because it was a pain).

Quote:
1. When the device screen times out and sleeps, the stream crashes and the app has to be force closed. I got around this by changing the time-out from five minutes to one hour, but this is a massive drain on the battery, as you can imagine.

I've not experience the time out/crash thing but I've also not tested on a physical Kindle. Thanks for the notice! It drains my battery a ton too but I don't think there's a good way around that sadly.

Quote:
2. When hidden tracks or other tracks that cannot be rated (station IDs, the Did You Know? segments, etc.) play in the broadcast, trying to rate them also causes the app to crash. It's easy enough to avoid doing so, but new listeners, especially those who might be downloading the app without ever having visited the site, probably wouldn't know that these tracks are unrateable on the actual website.

The API I wrote is supposed to know if the track is real or not and then the apps are supposed to know if they can be rated. I'll research this though - thank you!
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point of clarification on the "unrateable track" issue: The tracks that cannot be rated typically show up with no accumulated rating, so they're easy to identify, as such. I can still go into the menu and select "Rate track", however. After selecting my rating and submitting it, that is when the app crashes.

It actually displays a generic error message containing your username telling me that I need to force close the application, but a that's just a long way of saying that the app crashes. The same error is displayed upon unlocking the device when the screen times out while the stream is playing.
rorpage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for some reason the API isn't calculating correctly if the song is rate-able or not. I'm working on enhancing it so hopefully it becomes more accurate.

The generic error message with my username is due to the fact that I developed it under my personal domain name and the way Java/Android works. I'm sure it was com.rorpage.uablisten (which is backwards of what you normally type as a URL). Long story short, I appreciate your feedback very much!
rorpage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1,

I re-wrote the "My Favorites" page to have the pagination and load fewer songs at a time as well as fixed the bug with rating a "non-song".

I'll let you know when Amazon approves the app. Google Play should update in a few hours.

Thanks again!
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'll give it a go as soon as it's ready.
rorpage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Awesome! I'll give it a go as soon as it's ready.

Last update today I promise!

I found a few bugs and made some changes that I hope everyone likes. With the Amazon app store I can't cancel a pending app submission so I'll have to wait until they're done reviewing it to submit this better version, sorry.

For Android/Google Play users the even better update should show up in a few hours.

Thanks!
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much - since this is my only connection to UAB during the day at my workplace - I appreciate all you have done and continue to do with the app - Smile
rorpage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Google Play and Amazon apps should be in the stores (or will be very soon).

Please check them out if you like and let me know what you think (especially about the two menus now instead of just one). I'm not sure I'm wild about it but I like feedback Smile
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE POSITIVE I love the app.

I liked the one page for "my favorites". I realize it was slow to load but I felt it was more manageable when mobile, especially at a stop light. I miss the what's next feature but that is not by any means a deal breaker for me.
rorpage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason!

I'll see what I can do to make the favorites list faster and maybe load 20 or 30 at a time?

The "What's Next?" is stil there I just moved it under the "Star" menu. I broke it out to make one menu for the "Now Playing" stuff and the other for other app functions. Perhaps I should put it back and just make one lone menu?

I did that mostly because I wasn't wild about the plus/minus button for add/remove song from favorites.

Thanks again!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rorpage wrote:
Good morning!

I whipped this up (using something I had made before). Can someone with an iPhone or iPad test it please? It should work in any browser (except Firefox I believe).

http://uablisten.rorpage.com/listen.html

Thanks!
Rob

Hey Rob,

I've used this a bit and have had some different things happen, but I haven't had the time to actually document what I've seen. I'll try and get to that this weekend and give more details on what I'm seeing.

BUT, overall, I like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: