Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - 64/65 World's Fair Travels and ruins

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

64/65 World's Fair Travels and ruins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Postcards From Your Travels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: 64/65 World's Fair Travels and ruins Reply with quote

In the last year I've become increasingly involved in things relating to the 64/65 New York World's Fair. I've always known things about it but, I'm starting to increasingly get into the Obscure details..much like I've been involved with for Disney themeparks for the last decade or more. I'd never actually seen it for myself. while I wasnt born until more than a decade later, I still wanted to experience it as much as I could. I had a great time. It was like walking through modern contemporary ruins and still finding treasure..

As some of you know my home state is NY/NJ, so I took the opportunity to take myself over to the World's Fair grounds...Surprisingly many buildings still exist. Due to the Wind and cold (Somewhere in the last 3 years I became a wuss) not to mention the misty rain, I'd had enough...so I didnt get to the south end of the property (plan on going back next visit home), but I did take some pictures from a Distance...

And the pictures...

World's Fair Marina

New York State Pavillion...(If you've seen Men in Black...you've seen this before). It was rotting in pieces...The Pavillion was padlocked and chained...I walked up to it to take pictures through the grate (see pics) and one of the doors creeked open on my approach as if inviting me in (VERY interesting...and I kid you not). So I went inside to take pictures.

The Unisphere....For some reason....Jim Hill's article has several people believing that Disney Legend Harper Goff created this. Where he got this I haven't a clue as it's pretty common knowledge that Gilmore D. Clarke created it

For Fellow Geeks....2nd Street was the main thoroughfare to the Unisphere entitled "Avenue of the Americas"

One of the only building to be kept from the 1939 World's Fair. Now an art musuem.

The New York City/Queens Pavillion...Now an ice skating rink and Queens Musuem of Art...with updated version of skyview diorama of New York City.

Parts of the Concrete Mural Flanking the right side of the Unisphere

Main "Hub" (sort of a hub)

There are 2 murals one for each of the New York World's fair (39 and 64/65)

GE's Progressland Pavillion

Tower of the 4 winds for it's a small world

World's Fair Rocket Thrower Statue

The Real Rocket Thrower Statue still standing...

Reflecting Pools (well drained)

Column of Jerash...The second oldest relic to be standing in a public park. This was a gift from King Hussein of Jordan...Miraculously it was in VERY good condition for something that can just be walked up to and touched. Especially for something in Queens New York..

The Port Authority Helipad....Now...a Catering Co and Terrace Restaurant

Probably the Strangest site to just see sticking out near a zoo. Pieces of the old United States Space Park (sponsored by Nasa).

The Hall of Science Building Still in use as the New York Hall of Science 40 years later.

Well that does it for the interesting images...

Other things still there....Are the George Washington Statue..

The Westinghouse Time Capsules...which won't be opened until 6939 (5000 years after the 1939 time capsule was placed)

Freedom of the Human Spirit by Spencer Tunick (Was moved to the front of Ashe Stadium (Tennis).. The statue can be seen in the background of one of the Unisphere pics..

José de Rivera's Freeform Sculpture (though it no longer moves)

Theodore Roszak's Forms in Transit sculptor looks like a futuristic Jet place/rocket. You can see traces of it in the last picture with the Nasa Rockets

Well that takes care of that. My apologies to you people on Dialup. Hope you enjoy the pictures...I'm in the middle of doing more intensive research regarding the world's fair...so I'll be documenting much closer stuff on my return.

-D

Last edited by theEpiphany on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that. is rad.

every time i see the nys towers i think of men in black heh.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Heck....For those of you wanting comparison Shots...of what things looked like during the world's fair...Thanks to earthstation9.com for the images...its an excellent resource if you're researching world's fair stuff on line...

The Top of the New York State Pavillion(Men in Black Pavillion)

Other New York Station Pavillion Shots

United States Space ParkRockets...You can actually see the Ford Pavillion in the background.

And Just for fun......Do I really have to say what it is...

Ford Rotunda

New York City Pavillion...Looks a lot like that now...just 40 years older and has a road running right in front of it (The picks I took were from a car) (see pics above)

Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting before and after shots!

I sort of find it a little depressing to see monuments and historical buildings like that in such states of disrepair. I'm originally from New York (but who in Florida isn't) and the few times I visited, we passed the old World's Fair site and passed by Coney Island and it just kind of bummed me out to see them.

Barb
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, those are some great pictures! The before and after are just amazing.

I've actually seen the Unisphere a couple of time while passing though NY (from what I can remember from when I was young) and that's always stood out in my mind about the old Worlds Fair Grounds in NY.

Thank you for sharing.

Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame they didn't see clear to keep the place up. In Seattle, the World's Fair area is now the Seattle Center, a cultural center and semi-decent entertainment venue.
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ In fact, I just ate at the Space Needle a week ago. Wink

I really appreciate the pictures. I've always been fascinated at looking at ruined buildings and the like. I especially like the concrete mural of the Tower of the Four Winds. It's interesting seeing such a major Disney connection in New York.
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tach wrote:
It's a shame they didn't see clear to keep the place up. In Seattle, the World's Fair area is now the Seattle Center, a cultural center and semi-decent entertainment venue.

They did...There's a Zoo, an Art Musuem, a Science Center and Corona/Flushing Meadows Park is home to 5 football and/or soccer fields, a baker's dozen worth of baseball diamonds and a full sized golfcourse. Meadow lake still exists for various water activities as well. It's a pretty park...It didnt help that I went in the dead of winter on a miserable day.

The New York State Pavillion is really the only think looking neglected...and there's plans to turn that pavillion into an Air and Space Museum.

-D
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
^ In fact, I just ate at the Space Needle a week ago. Wink

I really appreciate the pictures. I've always been fascinated at looking at ruined buildings and the like. I especially like the concrete mural of the Tower of the Four Winds. It's interesting seeing such a major Disney connection in New York.

There was a struggle to bring it back to Disneyland....Walt didn't want it back but never told anyone his feelings. He asked the team at WED what they thought should be done with it. Mostly trying to tell Walt what they thought he wanted to hear....they told him they all wanted it back.

Walt Asked Rolly Crump what he thought...Rolly, well...being Rolly told Walt his honest opinion to just get rid of it because it was too big and too overbearing for Disneyland. Walt just smirked and indirectly let on that they both had the same thoughts on the matter..

The Tower was cut up into 2 foot pieces...and tossed into the Atlantic Ocean.

The end.
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if the fish used all those pieces to make their own underwater disneyland? Is that where they found Nemo? Wink
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is SOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!! I've never to New York or seen any of the sites of the New York's world fair (except in Men in Black) I think that's really interesting. I hear Disney talking aobut it all the time. Is there like a CD or soundtrack of the event? Can you find it on like... eBay?
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a DVD that you can find on Amazon.com. There are countless books on the subject. From history to World's Fair collectables.

There's some good Disney stories that come from the world's fair.

-D
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fireurgunz,

Being that you're showing an interest in the Fair..You might like these as well.

We've been talking a lot about GM's Futurama attraction in one of the discussion groups I belong to, this happened to come up. Let me know what you think.

http://www.archive.org/details/ToTheFairA
http://www.archive.org/details/ToTheFairB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Postcards From Your Travels All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: