Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Any suggestions for Port Orleans?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Any suggestions for Port Orleans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Any suggestions for Port Orleans? Reply with quote

Staying at port orleans in a few weeks. Any suggestions on things to do to help enjoy this resort more?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which resort are you staying at (Riverside or French Quarter)?

We haven't stayed there in a long time, but I believe they have carrage rides around the resort, and you can rent boats, and travel by boat to DtD from there.

I find PO very relaxing.

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was unable to book as single stay so first 4 nights at riverside, then moving to french quarter. will be there with 2 teenagers in HS and a second grader...
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of our favorite resorts, and we've stayed there several times. Our most recent stay was this past October, when we got stranded there during that freak snowstorm.

Anyway, here are my recommendations:

1. When you're at French Quarter, don't miss out on spending at least one evening in Scat Cat's Club. Some nights there is live music, but even when it's quiet, it's a nice, hole-in-the-wall lounge in which to grab a nightcap after a busy day. Even though it's a small place, it actually avoided the complete homogenization of the drinks menu that a lot of other resort lounges went through a couple of years ago, and you can still order some of the old hurricanes, which are delicious and deceivingly potent. Here's a link to the specialty drinks. They also have several Abita brews on tap.

2. The food court in Riverside has a make-your-own pasta window. Seriously. It's pretty awesome carbo-loading.

3. Boatwright's at the Riverside is a hidden gem. We hadn't been there since it was still serving breakfast, but we popped in for a dinner after we got stranded in Disney by the blizzard. I thank the blizzard for this. In a trip where we ate dinners in four different signature restaurants, including Il Mulino and Jiko, this was one of the best meals we had the entire vacation, and the only meal where we ordered all three courses. Seeing as how you will be in Riverside, I'd consider Boatwright's a must-do.

4. Utilize the boat transportation to and from Downtown Disney as often as necessary. It's a pleasant ride through the canals behind the resorts, but man, is it convenient. And not just to go to Downtown Disney Marketplace, either! Any time we had to go from resort to resort, whether it was leaving for a reservation or coming back after a late night dinner, that boat was a perfect way to avoid the jam-packed buses.

I'm sure I'll come back and give you more later, but it's time for me to head home now.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a great time at Riverside. Never made it to French Quarter. they were able to link all the reservations and keep us in the same room preventing me from having to get everything packed up and moved on what would have been an almost daily basis. i am very grateful for this. while it would have been mice to try french quarter, getting a spouse and two teenage daughters moved every day would have been tiring.

What a beautiful and relaxing resort. And my daughters loved the pasta bar. Thanks for the feedback to the question, it helped quite a bit.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself and glad I could be of a little assistance.

Do you guys get a chance to check out Boatwright's, by any chance?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Boatwright's before, it was fantastic! Great resort restaurant... The Disney Food Blog just posted a guest review from a few days ago: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/17/guest-review-boatwright’s-dining-hall-at-port-orleans-riverside/

Enjoy!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately not in the budget. Hoping to go back with wife for 20th anniversary. Might be able to do all the things I could not afford with all the kids.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, if you guys need any suggestions for great places for couples, I can definitely help with that. We go for one week a couple times a year, and we are always a party of two. We've got those recommendations on lockdown!
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am fickle but after having been to Riverside, I think I have a new favorite resort. It is very relaxing and I enjoyed myself
cotton
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. The food court in Riverside has a make-your-own pasta window. Seriously. It's pretty awesome carbo-loading.

3. Boatwright's at the Riverside is a hidden gem. We hadn't been there since it was still serving breakfast, but we popped in for a dinner after we got stranded in Disney by the blizzard. I thank the blizzard for this. In a trip where we ate dinners in four different signature restaurants, including Il Mulino and Jiko, this was one of the best meals we had the entire vacation, and the only meal where we ordered all three courses. Seeing as how you will be in Riverside, I'd consider Boatwright's a must-do Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: