Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Broadcast is back up! Find out what happened.

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Broadcast is back up! Find out what happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Broadcast is back up! Find out what happened. Reply with quote

Wow, That was slightly terrifying Smile.

In short, and without a lot of normal PR fluff, UAB suffered from a hard drive crash/failure, a drive that offered over 10 years of UAB and utilidors.com service.

The unfortunate aspect is that the backup drive, which had sat dormant for years, also failed. This is where that slightly terrifying comment I made above really hits home. In truth, it would have been much easier to throw in the towel, retire it all, and thank everyone for their dedication to our small little community.

....But I'm not OK with that. and Daveypoo and Ltldeb certainly weren't OK with that.

To make a long story short, I was able to recover a good 95% of the data from the failed hard drive in varying states and attempts. There are a few tracks that are missing due to backup failures (The recently added Radiator Springs tracks will need to be fixed), so we'll be keeping track of track failures and fixing them as we find them. I'll also be comparing our track database to existing data locations to see what exists and what is missing, which should (knock on wood) help get UAB's track selection back on track 100%.

I've setup a separate thread called "REPORT A MISSING OR BROKEN TRACK" in "UAB DISCUSSION". This thread is specifically for the recovery of UAB tracks which were working but now seem to be missing. If you make a request, and it doesn't play, please let us know so we can investigate.

So what's for the future?

Well, now that we're back up and running....Steps are being taken to upgrade our broadcast server to a much more robust one, as well as take further steps for redundancy and further backups/archives.

Thank you all for your dedication and offering to assist with the data recovery cost. Thankfully, I was able to do this on my own, without further financial burden Smile.

Stay tuned for a few other announcements to come in the next few days!

As always, we thank you for listening.

-tE
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tE, you ROCK!! (and ROLL).

I am listening and it sounds wonderful!

And THANK YOU to our members for their patience and support and generous offers to help. It makes all fell so wonderful and it was because of all of you we worked hard to bring back the broadcast.

ENJOY!!

theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow! I didn't realize I got the signature banners working again. Those fell off of my radar years ago! Smile We should have a few updated ones added!
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome to me - I did request some Radiator Springs before I read the above - so if it doesn't appear - i will send a report your way - AGAIN thanks to tE lildeb and Daveypoo for all your hard work to make this happen for us - so nice to hear some favs so soon in the return Smile
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator Springs / Car Land was the first thing noticed and recovered. We got them up in time Smile
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was awesome - thanks again - it seems so little for all you did - Smile
gamblepsu
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept trying my winamp bookmark in hopes the stream would be back and today it was there!

Thanks for all the hard work!
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for getting this back up. We are all very much appreciative!!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised, not that we pulled it off, but so far I've only had to fixed a handful of tracks (about 40 so far total due to whole collections missing, but only about 9 in reality, since you fixed one in a collection, you've fixed the entire collection itself.

Truth be told, I was missing the broadcast myself, and beyond that it was a matter of finding the time to dedicate sit down and start the process of trying to recover everything Smile.

We're glad people are enjoying the broadcast again. We know we're very excited to bring it back.
napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo nice to have UAB back! Thank you for all your hard work.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I stepped in cat puke this morning, but even that can't ruin my Monday since I have my work soundtrack back in action. Surprised Very Happy

When it comes time to upgrade to the new server, please let me know what you need. We've got some stuff here at the house that might work.
kjturmel
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you UAB team for everything you did to get us the broadcast back. I think absence makes the heart grow fonder....I know I've been listening every chance I get! Music
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjturmel wrote:
Thank you UAB team for everything you did to get us the broadcast back. I think absence makes the heart grow fonder....I know I've been listening every chance I get! Music

Glad to have you back KJ! I've also returned from an extended absence myself Smile. I got locked in the bathroom....yeah...that's it! Smile

All joking aside though, I've finally decided to budget my time and do the updates to the broadcast I'd been planning for sometime now. Life got in the way, and many changes have happened since 2008/2009 including the fact that we bought a house, and career stuff has gotten in the way Smile.

As you can see we've released a handfull of tracks in the last few weeks, and other projects are being budgeted accordingly as well Smile.

Hope you'll stick with us Smile

-tE
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the explanation of where you have been tE and I for one am glad you are budgeting time for the site again, that you fixed us, and that you are updating things for us - thanks again Smile ma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: