Haunted Mansion Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Why do you pick the tracks you do!?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Why do you pick the tracks you do!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Why do you pick the tracks you do!? Reply with quote

Alright, This is a question I've wondered for years....I figured it might spark an interesting and insightful discussion.

We all have our favorite tracks. Some of them you don't even have to see the "Now Playing" page to know who's requested them (I'm lookin' at you OCMSMA Smile Smile j/k ).

So what is it about your favorite tracks that make them your favorite. Is it a love for the attraction, a fond memory? Something more (or less) ?

I'll start.

Horizons is without a doubt my favorite all-time attraction. When I was 6 years old, it was the only attraction that I wasn't afraid of. My first attraction ride EVER was Walter Kronkite's Spaceship Earth, it and most of the other attractions scared the crap out of me as a kid. All of this is another story all together.

At any rate, when I got home, I built an entire ridethrough of Horizons out of shoeboxes Popsicle sticks, markers and paint, and a wiffle ball (for the man in the moon). Since then, Horizons has always had a special place...As an adult the opportunity came to own a piece of it (yey the good ole days of ebay and Disney) so I had to jump on it (Show and tell for a later date Smile )

I do try to hold off requesting it given the length of the track and wearing people out on it.

Spaceship earth probably comes in at a close second. I request the 2007 version more than the 1994 version because I keep the Jeremy Iron's one on my ipod at work and listen to THAT often as well Smile.

EPCOT overall holds a special place for me. Since I was 6 it was ALWAYS my favorite park, so I'll request random things around there.

As for the new tracks....
Trader Sam's well..... the wife and I are there at least once a week and it's a subtle continuation of the Adventurer's Club storyline. Being very very fond of the Adventurer's Club since I was 14, it's a natural fit for us. it closed the day we got married and we missed the last Hooplah by one day.

There are other tracks I frequently request, but mostly because they're good attractions and hold generally positive memories for me.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I pick the tracks I do. Well, I wasn’t as fortunate as many who got to experience the parks at an early age. My first trip was when I was 18, and I don’t remember a lot about it because I was more concerned about “adult beverages” and other things 18 year olds think about than the park (just MK back then). It wasn’t until my 30’s that I had my first REAL visit and I loved every minute of it.

Growing up, we had the World of Disney on TV every weekend, and I love the old cartoons and how things were back in Walt’s time. So the tracks I typically pick are those from the beginning. Not just the beginning of Disney or Disneyland, but each entity. I like the original attraction scores and ride throughs of all the parks, because I think those are the best. I like the stuff from the NY Worlds Fair because those were the beginnings of many current attractions, and I love the Tiki Room because I love all things tiki!! I was a fan of The Haunted Mansion long before I realized it. I used to own ALL the Revel models that they made for the HM, and I ALWAYS loved seeing the snippets from the Mansion on TV (those really old spots).

Many of the current tracks for redo’s of the attractions aren’t as good. I feel like Epcot has been “dumbed down” and lacks the education and real fun that it once had (the current Spacehip Earth track comes to mind). MK is too focused on Princesses. MGM is still pretty good and they still have lots of my favorites. AK is still good also, since it is the newest (although the parade could be phased out any time now!).

So I guess I like the nostalgia of it all and those are the things that make my ear holes happy.

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically I request the ones I have fond memories of from family trips, (with the wife, children, parents, etc). The rest are ones that just seem to me to feel "classic disney" or classic americana like the jungle cruise queue, or the Disneyland RR. Those two probably are 80% of the tracks I request. The rest are ones Utilidors has gotten me hooked on.

Last edited by WDWFan on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to have visited Disneyland the year it opened, I do remember Jungle Cruise and Frontierland with real "Indians" and the stagecoach ride and the tumbling rocks. I only had a few more encounters at the Land as a young adult and then taking ocm and berz when she turned 16 - that was a fun trip with their Granddad and pops - great pix of them on Big Thunder Mtn and we must have road Pirates a hundred times - then ocm became a great fan and we started going in 2004 - that trip was a full week and we hit every attraction, show, restaurant, cart and water stand - and Oh Yes those pictures of me by every restroom in both DL and DCA - but we have since made at least one trip a year for 5-7 days with a couple shorter trips thrown in when we can or hit a preview of something new - The tracks I request the most are the ones from Parades and Spectaculars that I found exciting and the way they were staged left such a lasting impression - or just fondness for the attractions because they remind me of youth and that feeling of being young and carefree - I have not experienced WDW and perhaps may get to some day, but there are several tracks from there as well that I just like the music and/or performers (OK for sure) - So that is why I request what I do - and tE there are several tracks that I too know who has requested before I look and no they are not always yours - lol Smile
DisneyChris
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I have been requesting songs more out of curiosity to hear what they are, because I am new to the site. But as far as those songs I have selected as my favorites, I have a bias towards the classic Disneyland Park attractions because I grew up in Southern California and most of my theme park memories are associated with the original CA park. I did however travel to Florida when I was 10 and again when I was 16, so I do have fond memories associated with the Golden Era of Epcot as well, such as Kitchen Kaberet, World of Motion, Horizons etc. I also loved If you Had Wings/Dreamflight and Carousel of Progress because they were unique to Florida. But I mostly choose my favorites based more on my musical tastes, which tend to be bent towards notalgic styles of music, like Dixieland Jazz, Big Band Swing, and brassy Showtune type stuff. I also love anything campy from the 1950's 1960's and 1970's. So classic era Disney music in general has a large assortment of songs that fall within my personal tastes. And the cornier the better. I am less of a fan of music from the 80's 90's and the present. I think corn was better handled prior to the 80's - and after that it is more just plain stupid rather than corny. (There are many acceptions, but generally speaking) Which leaves me in a class by myself for a person in their 30's. I never fit in musically with those my own age.
brendafitz24
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time that I go to WDW, I am with some if not all of my sisters. My favorite songs tend to tie back to memories w/my sisters.

Although, my favorite is Star Tunnel music. My first trip to WDW (it was w/o my sisters), the lines for space mountain were very very long so when I hear Star Tunnel music it always brings me right back to my first trip to disney Very Happy
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it upsets Daguru I request it. Very Happy
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatmon74 wrote:
If it upsets Daguru I request it. Very Happy

BEST RESPONSE YET!! Smile

DisneyChris
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - but I am late to the party. Why is upsetting Daguru a good thing???
SweetMelissa
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a terrible UAB-er. A lot of the tracks that I pick most frequently aren't very Disney-ish at all. The Land area tracks, the Impressions de France score, the Sunset Boulevard area music ... It's all the same stuff I listen to in the "real world." Jazz, swing, big band, standards, etc. My exception is anything from Fantasyland. I love the songs that remind me of my favorite childhood films.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DisneyChris wrote:

It goes back what like 6 to 7 years ago and the Poly v. Off Kilter Battles that happened.

I will give away a secret now .... we actually are very good friends. And I believe there may actually be a photo of me and other UABers with Off Kilter somewhere here on the site.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my requests are Epcot tracks, particularly Future World. When I was 5, my mom and I got to do the Epcot preview, where people rode the monorail to the Epcot stop, and got out to look at the construction. I don't really remember that, but I do remember the excitement of Epcot and how it instantly became my favorite park. Those original Future World tracks bring back a lot of fond memories for me.

I request a lot of Haunted Mansion, too, because it's my favorite ride in the whole wide world. Very Happy
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Topic So since this post started a week or so ago - I have been watching requests and who requests them and I also try and catch the UAB Top Ten and post when I can - and from my unscientific observations - I believe that some (including me) request certain tracks to see if we can get them in that fabulous Top Ten on Friday - now this may be way off base - but I am willing to admit that I sometimes do this - how about some of you other regular requesters - Smile
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatmon74 wrote:
DisneyChris wrote:

It goes back what like 6 to 7 years ago and the Poly v. Off Kilter Battles that happened.

I will give away a secret now .... we actually are very good friends. And I believe there may actually be a photo of me and other UABers with Off Kilter somewhere here on the site.

Yeah, we're cool... as long as he doesn't starting talking about the Gators again... then I bust out a Roll Tide and it starts all over again... Smile
eatmon74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

September is still coming. Chomp Chomp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: