Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Happy 30th Birthday Horizons! °o°

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Happy 30th Birthday Horizons! °o°
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Happy 30th Birthday Horizons! °o° Reply with quote

Thirty years ago today, the greatest attraction Disney ever designed opened to guests at EPCOT Center. With great fanfare and excitement, Horizons opened its doors and took guests to Brava Centauri, Sea Castle, and Mesa Verde. More importantly, it broadened the imagination of every guest and made them feel 'if you can dream it, you can do it!'. It's so sad that it couldn't be here to see its 30th birthday but it lives on in the hearts and dreams of fans around the world. Happy Birthday Horizons! °o°
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly great attraction that captured the feel for what Epcot use to be.
I'm not going to say it is not as good now, but i will say it is significantly different and there is a lot to be missed from the gone attractions and the approach and feel they brought to the experience.
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was really cool that a lot of the Disney fan sites posted great pictures and stories about Horizons over the last few days. It's amazing to see pictures that have never been published on the web...ºoº
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working at Studios back in 2000 and I actually avoided that side of Future World at that time because I started crying when I saw how agonizingly slow they were demolishing that building. Have you guys seen the Mesa Verde Times blog/videos?
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a former cast member myself, I've seen those videos and couldn't believe what those knuckleheads were doing! Their page professed a love for Horizons and wanted to document as much of it as possible before it was demolished. I don't see how running around the sets taking pictures shows a 'love' for Horizons. I wish they had been caught and banned from Disney for life!
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I'm torn. The cast member side of me is also upset at these guys running freely around the attraction but the side of me that loves to see how things work and had often wondered what it would be like to be in those scene on Horizons was absolutely fascinated by it. The CM side of me is sure that that, had something terrible happened to them during these "adventures", they would have probably tried to blame Disney and sought some kind of restitution. The Horizons fan in me though was fascinated by seeing the actual mechanism behind some of the effects too.

I have to say though, the Horizons: Resurrected project made me actually cry the first time I ran it. That is the most impressive tribute to an attraction I have ever seen (and it is still grossly unfinished)!
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you CAIRat. If one of them had gotten hurt, Disney would have had a lawsuit on their hands. I am also torn seeing behind-the-scenes pictures. It just takes away some of the magic of a beloved attraction. Horizons: Resurrected is looking great (I teared up, too) and can't wait to see the final result. ºoº
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STILL wish they could have found a quicker way to demolish that building. I was on a CP at Studios at that time and the demolition was just so painful. That was the worst memory I have that is directly associated with the CP. (The best is a tie between seeing the Millennium Dreamers getting a special shout-out during Tapestry one night and being able to shadow the show managers at Fantasmic one night.) I can still close my eyes and listen to the tracks they have on here and visualize myself on that ride. My memories are also triggered anytime I smell oranges. Smile
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CP short for College Program?
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Yeah, CP=College Program. Some of my old acronyms are just so ubiquitous in my mind that I don't even think twice about using them. Did the CP a couple times and was a campus representative for them for a few years as well.
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the third group of students to go througth the program in 1982. One of the best times of my life! We had the chance to see Horizons under construction... °o°
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is AMAZING! I would have loved to see that. I still don't fully understand the reason that attraction has such a pull on me. I think it is the fact that it presented such an optimistic view of the future while inspiring a sense that you can accomplish anything you set out to do (without being cheesy about it). I still want to find a print of "The Prologue and The Promise".
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold a jigsaw puzzle of The Prologue and the Promise on eBay for $180! Check out Horizons at Epcot Center on Facebook. I've posted some before and after pics of Horizons from the Grand Opening Weekend of EPCOT Center. They're pretty cool! ºoº
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho... Ly... Crap!!! How did I miss that! I would have happily paid that much. I just wish that McCall's estate would find it in their best interest to release prints of this awesome artwork. (I'm sure Disney has claim to the art unfortunately but I can dream right?) Going to check out the FB group this evening. Thanks for the heads-up!
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can dream it, you can do it! ºoº
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: