Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - UAB UPDATE: Tune in Now! Interface changes

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

UAB UPDATE: Tune in Now! Interface changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: UAB UPDATE: Tune in Now! Interface changes Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

UAB is 13 years old, and unfortunately, technology has changed a lot since it's beginnings. Gone are the standard players of Winamp, and Realplayer being a trusted application for listening to music. We've seen personal smart devices come about etc. Long story short, using the mechanism and associated links we had in place were not playing nicely with modern day standards, and a lot of people were messaging me asking how to tune in.

This got me thinking, and well, I figured I'd try to update this as an immediate project since the entire point of this is to tune in (not much of a radio broadcast if you couldn't do that, huh Smile.

At any rate, I've added the convenience of embedded players to the Tune In Now! Page. You'll now see three players for each quality of the streams provided. No more needing separate applications to listen to UAB, though you're certainly welcome to listen through whatever means you'd like!

The players are done through HTML5 which all modern browsers should be supporting. If you're browser doesn't support HTML5, please post here.

This will most likely evolve over time. I'd like to add a console option so people can click and launch a separate console window so that multiple browser windows / tabs aren't necessary if that's a listener's choice.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome for consideration. After all this is YOUR broadcast (I know I disappeared for a long while).

Let me know what you ladies and gents think!

-tE
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this a bit. It works on Android phones, but IOS devices seem to have some trouble with it. Apple desktops/laptops and Safari work well.

It also doesn't seem to work on IE 9.
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a PM regarding my issue - thx for your help Smile ma
napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHHHH - PANIC!!! Surprised I get "invalid source" or something like that when I go to the tune in page on my computer. I'm using your standard Windows based HP. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
napabeth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Ok, so logged in on my iphone. I can get sound, but if I switch screens (I'd like to see the "playing now" screen instead of the "tune in screen" the music goes away. I know, I know change is good and all that crap.....I just hate relearning stuff. Confused
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are having my issue - hopefully we will hear back from tE and can get this issue resolved - mine is on both computers - I use the "UAB Listen" app from rorpage on my DROID and no problems there ...

Smile
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating systems are you using specifically (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista etc). Also what web browser are you using and what version?

iphones are known issue. I'm amazed you're even able to hear something. What iphone version are you using. Iphones (depending on version) are unable to truly multitask and as such they only run the app in the forground, and shut down anything in the background as a result when you switch.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating systems are you using specifically (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista etc). Also what web browser are you using and what version?

iphones are known issue. I'm amazed you're even able to hear something. What iphone version are you using. Iphones (depending on version) are unable to truly multitask and as such they only run the app in the forground, and shut down anything in the background as a result when you switch.
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have issue on my Windows Vista desktop and Windows 7 notebook - I use Chrome - I have no issue with the UAB Listen app from rob on my Android-I sent you a PM yesterday Smile ma
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napabeth wrote:
AHHHHHHH - PANIC!!! Surprised I get "invalid source" or something like that when I go to the tune in page on my computer. I'm using your standard Windows based HP. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

napabeth. What type of computer are you running and what browser are you using? I've yet to see an invalid resource error. In fact for computers/browsers that don't support it they should see a "not supported" message appear. Invalid resource is totally new and something I haven't come across in my testing.

However you ARE the first person to get this working on an iphone. I haven't even been able to do that, unless you're talking about using a separate media player app and not directly from the player.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored the old page since it seems it's causing some confusion and errors. I'll be taking a new approach with the built-in player to launch it in a separate window.

Please keep in mind that the old way of listening is severely antiquated and I'll be rewriting some of the code to update things for convenience.
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update - will keep watching and trying what you put out there for us and let you know if I experience any of the same issues as before

Smile
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI in case there's confusion. The embedded player must remain OPEN for you to listen to it. Meaning the minute you click away from the page it will close the player and cut the stream from playing. If you use tab browsing, it MUST remain open in a tab. Chrome is particularly good for that because it will show you which tab the audio is coming from.

I'm rewriting the code to launch a new console window with the embedded players (much like the Broadcast Schedule Page, or the request confirmation pop-up).
MerrimentOfMickey
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go through Internet Explorer but was able to get it to work using Windows Media Player. I went through the second icon in Tune in now through the premiere Members only. Couldn't get it to work using Firefox. I believe I have Windows 7 (it's a work computer, I'm not 100% sure)
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "old" type console I have no problems opening a "player" and listening and moving away from that page to any other page on the site and not loose my audio - I did figure out - with a little help from tE- that with the "new" console I needed to open the player and then open another tab to move about the site and still have audio -

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: