Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Resetting weight on ALL tracks and more!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Resetting weight on ALL tracks and more!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Resetting weight on ALL tracks and more! Reply with quote

All,

I've decided to reset the weight on all tracks. What is a track's weight? Basically it says how favored the track is to play in rotation WITHOUT a request. The higher the weight, the more likely the play system will play it as long as it conforms to the rest of the "play guidelines" (not more than once every X number of hours etc etc etc).

Think of it this way. Each time a track is played, it gets -2 for its weight. So a track at 50 gets dropped to 48. It plays again in rotation it gets 46 etc. IF a track is requested it gets +5. So a 50 weight track then goes to 55, and then 60 if it's requested again BEFORE it's played on its own, otherwise it'll go to 53 if it plays in rotation AFTER it is requested. Everyone with me? Good!

Now, lets face it. there are tracks on the broadcast that just ARENT requested due to popularity, due to lack of memories, due to illuminati conspiracy, who knows. These tracks are just destined to have 2 points deducted from their rotation each time they play until they continue in a downward spiral to 0. Once they hit 0 they're no longer a consideration for automatic rotation and can ONLY be played by requesting said track.

While playing more "liked" and "requested" tracks is certainly a benefit of a higher weight, the tracks that are often requested are just that...requested, and thereby aren't being played automatically during standard rotation as often. The worst detriment is that as these "unpopular" tracks continue to have their weight deducted they're dropping..1 by 1 from any autoplay consideration.

What does this mean? (Disney3XJC, I'm lookin' at you)

This means you're going to hear a lot of of the tracks that are candidates to be played in normal automatic rotation more frequently, because there's less of a pool of tracks to choose from for automatic play.

So tE what are you going to do about it?

I'm rethinking the track weight to the point redoing the entire thing from the ground up so more popular tracks are considered for more frequent playing, and less popular ones are heard less frequently, but never to the point of removing themselves for consideration.

At any rate all tracks are reset. You should definitely hear a larger array of tracks being played randomly.

As I type this, am suddenly reminded now why I kept certain tracks from being placed in rotation. Cranium Command's Demo is just horrible.

Now to quickly scramble to NOT hear 27 minutes of 1970s Space Mountain sound effects.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news. There are a lot of great tracks that don't play because folks have forgotten about them. It will be great to hear them enter the rotation.

Could the weighting take into account the user ratings as part of the formula?
So a class rates a 1 get a lower weight than a class weighted a 5?
It still nice to hear them, but it might allow for not playing a string of tracks everyone dislikes. Might help with the Cranium Command Demo tracks.

Additionally, if the "time since last play" can be worked in as some form of "reset", so if a track has not played in a month, it gets a "bump"? Say a bump based on user rating? So a 1 track gets bumped 3, a two track bumped 6, a 3 bumped a slightly higher amount, or something similar.
boundlessrealm
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this posting I have heard the Cranium Command Demo at least 3 times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: