King Arthur Carousel Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney raises park prices

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney raises park prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Disney raises park prices Reply with quote

Found this at the Orange County Register:

Disney raises park prices (The Orange County Register, Calif.)
By Michele Himmelberg, The Orange County Register, Calif.

Jan. 4--Hot off one of its peak years, the Disneyland Resort raised daily admission prices $3 on Tuesday, up to $59 for adults and $49 for children ages 3-9.

That's the fourth price increase in two years and it brings the admission cost for a typical family of four to $226.

As a consolation for local residents, the Resort also renewed its "2fer" offer this year for Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. Residents of Southern California and Baja California who buy a one-day admission pass can visit both parks on two different days through April 27.

The "2fers" will be sold at Disney's Anaheim ticket booths and at the nearly 300 Vons and Pavilions stores in the region.

Disney introduced the off-site purchase option at Vons last year, giving customers the convenience of buying tickets in advance. Both companies said the program has been successful.

The company raised ticket prices twice last year as it celebrated Disneyland's 50th anniversary. The milestone event and new attractions drew an estimated 14.5 million people to the theme park -- an 8.5 percent increase over 2004 -- according to Amusement Business magazine.

On peak days in December, ticket sales were temporarily halted at Disneyland because the park had reached capacity.

"Their pricing policy is a good one," said Jim Benedick, an executive with Management Resources in Tustin, a leisure time entertainment company. "When demand is there, and people really want to come, then you expect to pay the higher prices.

"When demand is not as great, that's when they provide an opportunity for locals to go for a better value. Residents don't usually pay full price." Local residents can buy the "2fer" tickets or they often have access to corporate or group discounts.

"I never go during the busy periods," said Benedick, who hates the crowds.

"But I take advantage of their offers." Since March 2004, the cost of an adult Disneyland ticket has risen $9.25, or 19 percent. Disney officials compared their price to a $73 one-day lift ticket at Mammoth Mountain.

"We believe our pricing reflects the tremendous value our guests experience," said Rob Doughty, a Disney spokesman. "They can enjoy up to 16 hours of world-class entertainment and fun." Disneyland remains the price leader among Southern California theme parks.

Universal Studios charges $55 for one day, but that ticket is then good for admission most days the rest of the year. A similar deal is available at Sea World San Diego for $53.

Knott's Berry Farm's adult tickets remains $45, with a current promotion for local residents at $31. Magic Mountain in Valencia charges $49.99 for one day, with a limited online special of $27.99.

Theme parks typically bump up prices when they're confident the market will absorb the increase.

"Disney does extensive market research on (pricing) so they know what they're doing," said Cynthia King, a professor at Cal State Fullerton and head of the Center for Entertainment and Tourism.

"The price seems high, but if people are willing to pay $49 to go to Six Flags for the day, they can see $59 for Disneyland as reasonable." If Disney continues to raise prices, King said it will be important for the parks to demonstrate their value by adding attractions and showing visitors "this is what they're paying for." Disney's admission price includes nearly all attractions and shows.

Parking is an additional $10. Annual pass prices increased last fall, and they now range from $119 for a pass with limited access to $349 for a pass good every day of the year, with free parking.

Lynn Russ, a teacher in Huntington Beach, was disappointed when Disney raised prices in January 2005, in advance of the 50th anniversary. She said she can't justify spending the full daily admission price for her four-person family because the kids get too tired to experience it all in one day.

"With those crowds, you can't get the value," she said.

Russ broke down in September and bought the cheapest annual passes, at $119 each, and takes her two children on Friday nights or weekdays when they're out of school.

"That's a better deal," she said, "but I'm not sure we'll be able to do it next year." The "2fer" is a bargain, Russ said, only if you want to go to California Adventure.

"Nobody really chooses to go to that park," she said. "The kids want to go to Disneyland." Based on recent strong hotel bookings, it's likely that Disney expects to see steady traffic through the summer.

For details on Disney admission, call (714) 781-4565 or go to Disneyland or Vons.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DisneyDave
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the price is well worth what you get!

However if they raise Churro prices... I'm going on strike! Laughing
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just renewed our APs while we were out there after Christmas, but had the price increased before that we still would have renewed. I totally agree with you Dave about it being worth it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dtrippie
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Went last year to both Disney US theme park locations, and wasn't as impressed with disneyland as Magic Kingdom. Sure... 3 bucks is the cost of a Pop so I shouldn't really be too upset (and I'm not), but I still would pick Orlando for my vacation dollar. Having said that I'm going ot Disneyland in Feb. because I happen to be in the area with family.
Firefly
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Can't say I agree, but I guess it depends on the person. Honestly, I think you get a much better bang for your buck at Disneyland, as there is more to do, yet you are still paying less than the Magic Kingdom.
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they raised them again a couple of months ago.
A Look Into All Things Disney
epcotfan23
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move is really just trying to keep up with expected inflation for next year. Similar industries are having to increase prices because of recent currency revaluations. Places like China are having wage increases across the board, esp. in the manufacturing sector and that directly relates to how much the yuan is worth. Disney does a lot of business with China so they are having to pay more for the same services. Ticket prices are always a reflection of costs but people need to be comforted by saying things like "It's worth it.'" Who knows if it is really worth it? But if the price was much lower the demand for entrance would be too high and they would have problems delivering the same quality of experience on a consistant basis.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee... doesn't DIsney make enough money?
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increases have not been too steep at any one time and hae been happening for years now....obviously. Whether it's inflation or not...the only way to keep the parks up is to make money. No longer are the days of Walt pouring all he made into the dreams.

I am wondering if as the new year approaches another rise will occur. I have seen through the 50th celebration many offerings from Disney with a higher price tag. I also know that people WILL pay for the things they enjoy and love...even though sometimes hat means the average Disney lover may not be able to partake. It is the way things are.

I am much happier to see DLR today and not feel the tension that filled the air not too long ago. Things don't change overnight...but honestly...I love Disneyland and love to see the additions, little fancy touches and wonderful surprises. I hate to spend another $20 on my AP...but that brisge will be crossed when the time comes.

: )
disneylanddude05
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the prices are gettin pretty ridiculous and the 50th just ended. THey should be lowering their prices hoping people should still come, but I guess they never will anytime soon...What about when the prices get to $100? That's going to be just Evil or Very Mad
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneylanddude05 wrote:
Yeah the prices are gettin pretty ridiculous and the 50th just ended. THey should be lowering their prices hoping people should still come, but I guess they never will anytime soon...What about when the prices get to $100? That's going to be just Evil or Very Mad

Hmmm....considering attendance has continued to be UP, I don't think that logic plays out Wink

I t was only a couple weeks ago Disneyland was again deemed "full" and the overflow of folks headed right over to California Adventure. The Parks are in great form....it takes money to keep them in tip top condition.

I'm pleased with the Parks each visit and feel I always get my money's worth!

: )
disneylanddude05
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well I was there at Disneyland that day when it was full on November 12th...it's true it costs a lot of money to run the park, but if they do that new things should be in place (Luckily Rockin' Space Mountain Smile I'm satisfied too because I have a Pass and that I think is worht it. Just saying that the prices are a little overboard I think on admission, but oh well cause you're going to either spend it on merchandise (where they get A LOT of MONEY) or food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: