Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Remote Consoles Always on top ideas

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Remote Consoles Always on top ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Remote Consoles Always on top ideas Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I'm toying with the idea of putting the Remote Consoles (Now playing/Pending requests etc) to be able to always sit on top on a current window on the screen. This would allow you to keep track of what's playing while posting in forums or navigating to other portions of the site.

Just gauging interest, would you find this more of an annoyance or beneficial. If I can swing it (which I probably could) I can attempt to even make it an options toggle.
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be a global setting?

If it can be turned off by each user, then it might be a good thing.... but if it can't be turned off on a per-user basis, some people may not want that feature....

With the advent of tabbed browsing and or multiple browser windows in a single browser (especially since IE is finally catching up), is this option necessary?

In my opinion, I think it would be an annoyance... JMHO
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Consoles Always on top ideas Reply with quote

daguru,

theEpiphany wrote:

I can attempt to even make it an options toggle.

Tabbed browsing still doesn't answer it for people who might want "At a glance" access. and tabs don't even remotely come into play when you're talking about the consoles anyway since it's a floated window that if I can swing it, could float on top of any application should a listener want to work in excel or word and still keep track of things. By that logic, there's no reason to have the remote consoles, which I know are used based on log file analysis and user comments.
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. I"ll vote for it.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, the with option to turn it on/off, having it always on top would be a good idea.

Personally, I might use it more that way, since as a normal window, it's tough to find for me (I have lots of things opens at one time).

I like it.

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always on top... I'd only vote yes if you get the toggle working, otherwise I'd say Please No.

As a person that multi tasks a lot, I almost always have multiple windows working concurrently, and prefer to control what is on top.

Frankly, I think I would find it more useful if instead the remote console for "pend requests" showed three other features:
    Display Time since request
    Display estimated time remaining (say with in 5 minutes...)
    Add a button to cancel a pending request

I think of those as a better investment in functionality than an "always on top" feature.

Tabbing to the remote window has never really been an issue for me.
Trying to remember how long the queue was when I made the request and doing the math to see if I have time to go "run an errand" before my track occurs frequently.
The first, I still have to remember the queue length, but the math is simple subtraction.
The second accomplishes the same, but I can see where you might have to round to 5 minute intervals to reduce the chance of someone trying to pirate a track.
Being able to cancel a pending request would sure reduce the frustration of requesting a 7 pt freq flyer mile track to have to miss it to go to a last minute meeting or deal with a spouses "urgent discussion needs".
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
always on top... I'd only vote yes if you get the toggle working, otherwise I'd say Please No.

As a person that multi tasks a lot, I almost always have multiple windows working concurrently, and prefer to control what is on top.

Frankly, I think I would find it more useful if instead the remote console for "pend requests" showed three other features:
    Display Time since request
    Display estimated time remaining (say with in 5 minutes...)
    Add a button to cancel a pending request

I think of those as a better investment in functionality than an "always on top" feature.

Tabbing to the remote window has never really been an issue for me.
Trying to remember how long the queue was when I made the request and doing the math to see if I have time to go "run an errand" before my track occurs frequently.
The first, I still have to remember the queue length, but the math is simple subtraction.
The second accomplishes the same, but I can see where you might have to round to 5 minute intervals to reduce the chance of someone trying to pirate a track.
Being able to cancel a pending request would sure reduce the frustration of requesting a 7 pt freq flyer mile track to have to miss it to go to a last minute meeting or deal with a spouses "urgent discussion needs".

WOW WDWFAN...you really gave me something to think about...I'm actually on a weekend vacation in Northern California (Bay area / San Jose)....One of your ideas REALLY got me to thinking...and YES I think it can absolutely be done...

You'veactually opened up a few more doors...When I get back...I'll PM you and we'll talk more...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan Your Ideas are great. I love the time till. I am always missimg my tracks for the reasons you stated. Good One
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatmon74 wrote:
Fan Your Ideas are great. I love the time till. I am always missimg my tracks for the reasons you stated. Good One

Unfortunately we can't do this because the DMCA will not allow us to do it...It's a legal thing...This is why I haven't implemented the approximate time your tracks will play.

Please see the FAQ
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there might be an issue with the count down, and I see their point, which is why I added the comment about it being off by some range. So it might simply say in less than 10 minutes, 10-20 minutes, 20-30 minutes. more than 30 minutes, more than x hours. Even that might not work, but it may be an alternative, and it is about as accurate as the guesstimates folks make now.

But, that aside, I've been thinking some more. (Ask any of my programming staff -they will always tell you that generally leads to more work for them.)

If we are to consider a "Remove from queue", we might also consider a "delay in queue" button, to allow some one to reschedule an item to the end of the queue. Or the to move it back in the queue by xx minutes (xx being a number tE likes, and it actually going to the end of the item in the queue when xx minutes is calculated.) (Although they could accomplish the same by canceling and re-requesting... (Provided the cancel clears the recently requested flag that stops folks from re-requesting recent tracks....)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: