Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Where have all the good shows gone?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Where have all the good shows gone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jklok
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Where have all the good shows gone? Reply with quote

Ok, so this is something I have been thinking about any time I flip to the Disney channel and see what a sad line up they have, but does any one else wish they would come out with a disney classic channel where they would show like the old cartoons and disney movies, and I dont mean just the cartoons but like the original shaggy dog, flubber, chitti chitti bang bang etc? Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so much of whats on TV any more isnt worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about TV. If it weren't for A&E, Discovery, PBS, History and Food Network, I'd never turn the box on. Bring back Vault Disney.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why give these great shows away when there is money to be made in the DVD sales of these shows?

As soon as the Disney Treasures came out, all hope was lost for the return of these shows to the public air waves.

jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember the Wuzzles on Disney Channel?
Jklok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. And Im not saying the public airwaves, I'd love to see it on cable, even if I had to pay extra for it, I probably would be willing to if I knew it would have something to watch that is decent
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it just seems that disney is focusing on teaching little children and thier families "Bear in the Big Blue House" and "Suite Life Of Zack and Cody" instead of classic cartoons. "House of Mouse" tried to bring that back( kinda), but never really caught on with the kids. So i guess we are stuck with the parks changing to fit the family wants, not the Classic lovers wants. DCA is a perfect example. It's turning into Pixar land so kjids can enjoy it and recognize their favorite characters. DCA was meant to enjoy the beauty of California, not the beauty of Pixar's Movies!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true... but DCA has to admit one basic thing... the current theme is not getting the job done.

some would argue it is because it was poorly executed, others that the theme itself is not appealing. Either way something needs to be done so they can start using black ink instead of red
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think disney was more preouccupied with makeing the scenery more important than building rides.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the quality of the Disney Channel shows has dropped a bit.

I think the toddler space is actually better than it was, but the youth and tween programming is just not what it was a few years ago.

Luckily Disney does not mind running a series for a while then dropping it. Hopefully they will get some better replacements.

As to the Disney Vault... I wish they would show more of the classics... Zorro, Swamp Fox, original MMC, etc.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I agree with WDW (a first?) Bring back Zorro and the other Disney classic series. Shoot bring back the Mickey Mouse club again, but this try to have the stars be actors and/or kids instead of little Rock stars.
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again folks. As a life-long couch potato you tend to notice when cetain trends in TV
begin to take shape. This is the same for basic, public, cable and satellite television
anywhere in the world.

It used to be you could only see certain types of shows on either the weekends or at
the 'family hours'. Nowadays, 'escapist' shows like "Heroes", "Lost", and "Smallville"
make up at least half of the primetime schedule. As far as cable - and the DC- are
concerned, they also seem to be 're-formatting' themselves to appeal to the masses.

The irony of that is cable channels were originally designed to appeal to 'niche'
audiences: kids, teens, adults, families, with 'specialized' programming. Now , of course,
it's all about revenues- like everything else- that keep the original 'classics' off the air.

If the company is really that interested in getting the largest audience they can find
they should indeed create a "Disney Classics Channel" to go along with ToonDisney
and the DC proper. Then they'd see an increase in viewer's eyes in front of the screen.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Now back to staring at the laptop. Peace.
DylansDisneyDad
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not call it "TDV" The Disney Vault? Bring back all of the classics, as previously mentioned, and bring back the Wonderful World of Disney CLASSICS as well. I remember as a kid, watching on Sunday nights, eating milk and cookies and then it was straight off to bed! It was the only time we all watched TV as a family. It could introduce kids to Walt as a person and not just as a brand.

BTW. Does anyone remember DTV from the early/mid 80's? It was a"music video" show of (then) current music to Disney animated clips. I used to LOVE that!

As far as the revenue goes. They could advertise Disney PPV? Imagine watching the park during an event? Catching those special fireworks and parades. Mabe they could have an "On Demand" function. Imagine being able to order and watch Fantasmic from your couch! I know, I know, it's not like being there. But, for those who need a quick hit, it could feed the need. Wink

Just a couple of random thought.

daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've stated in other posts and threads, Disney is more about making a buck than appeasing the fans.

Let's face it, On Demand and PPV are specific to cable and such, and may not have the wide appeal to get the biggest bang for the buck. But DVD's and Blu-Ray...there's a moneymaker. Put all those shows on DVD and let the masses buy them, and spend little to produce them.

If TDC was a premium channel, MAYBE they'd go back to the Vault Disney venue, but where it's part of basic cable, no need to give something away when you can make money on it.

But...PPV and On-Demand events from Disney does sound interesting....

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is a great one, but I don't see Disney doing it...

For several reasons.
As stated above - why do it this way if they can make a few bucks using DVD's (ok a lot of bucks)
Would it really be in their advantage to let folks compare todays quality with the pasts quality? It is one thing to have quality drop, it is something else to advertise it.

Of course if the track record of some of the recent Disney stars, I getting surprised any parent would let their kids work for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: