Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Los Angeles was hit by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake Tuesday.

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Los Angeles was hit by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake Tuesday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Los Angeles was hit by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake Tuesday. Reply with quote

From CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A magnitude-5.8 earthquake has struck just east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar, the USGS said. Chino Hills is about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

The center was about 7.6 miles deep. In general, earthquakes centered closer to the Earth's surface produce stronger shaking and can cause more damage than those further underground.

A 5.8 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

"I can tell you that we had a good-sized shake here in the bureau," said CNN Los Angeles Bureau Chief Pete Janos. "It started slowly. It continued on, shaking the bureau pretty well. ... Right now we're just sort of assessing the situation. Nothing fell off the walls ... but there definitely was a shake."

Janos said he has lived in southern California for about 12 years, and "I can tell you this is probably the best one we have had."

He said the quake "picked up steam. At its height, the building was doing some good swaying back and forth." He estimated the quake lasted no longer than about 20 seconds.

"We could definitely feel it on the third floor," said Kara Finnstrom, who was in Hollywood. "That feeling where you scramble to get under something because you know it's large enough -- you wonder what's going to happen next."

A 5.8 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

CNN's Ed Lavandera was at Disneyland in Anaheim, southeast of Los Angeles, with his family and felt the temblor. He said the shaking lasted about 5 seconds.

CNN affiliate KABC is reporting that Disneyland's rides have been evacuated.

Lavandera was standing in line for a ride when he saw the ride's top "shaking back and forth."

You could hear the metal kind of clanging around, and the ride was just ending, so for a moment ... I thought maybe something was wrong with the ride. Then I realized the ride had already stopped moving and the ground was still moving," he said. Did you feel the quake?

iReporter Danny Casler, 28, of Huntington Beach, California, was woken by the earthquake. He had his wisdom teeth removed last week and was at home recuperating from the surgery.

"Everything in the house was shifting back and forth," he said.

Casler said he ran outside, where other neighbors had gathered. "My house was like a fun house," he said. "Everything was moving."

There were no immediate reports of injury or damage in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey told The Associated Press. San Bernardino County fire dispatch did not have reports of damage, AP said.
---------------------------
Everyone here at UAB hopes that all our California friends and family are OK

Oh, and eatmon...welcome home! Wink

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not good to hear....

My Kids are off to visit Yellowstone, which is currently on fire, and then Disneyland which is having earthquakes....

Hope everyone out there is safe.
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both David and I spoke briefly with tE. They are fine.....lost a few glasses, but no one was hurt.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrsguru
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Excited
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason, was that your first earthquake?
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking...wouldn't that be an added thrill to some of the attractions...hmmmmmmm.

: )
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd much rather do hurricanes than earthquakes lived in redondo beach for a year then we moved hear.

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaron314 wrote:
i'd much rather do hurricanes than earthquakes lived in redondo beach for a year then we moved hear.

So far I haven't minded the earth moving under me...but wind, it can terrify me! I think Disneyland would be a super safe place to be in a quake though...even the bigger ones of yore never did any real damage.

: )
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but i dont want to be part of the state exercise program you lay in bed and the ground shakes

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure which author I'm para-phrasing from but... I like my Terra firma - firma, the firma the better
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
Hey Jason, was that your first earthquake?

No, I was in So Cal for the big quake in the 90's, and I did not feel this one at all as I was 300 miles from the epicenter, In fact I learned about the quake from UAB. Not to mention most of us that have been in Quakes don't get worried till it is 6.0 and higher. Lower then that and it's like being in a massage chair. As far as the Hurricane versus the Earthquake. I will take an earthquake I don't want to be warned that my house is going to be destroyed.
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. As a native-born Californian, I've been living with 'tremors' my whole life.

Yes, we refer to them as only tremors until they're above 6.0 as eatmon said.

Personally I happen to get a little excited whenever the ground starts to move, at
least until I have to clean up the mess.

Strangely enough; all the tremors I've experienced always seem to be more of jerk
than a rattle. That's how I know when it's real and not just a big truck going by.

BTW. If anyone has been to Universal out here, there actually IS an Earthquake
attraction on the tram tour, (ironically in a retro-fitted, quake-proof building).

Anyway, that's my highlight of the summer so far. Later, peace.
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first earthquake that i can remmeber, but I was 3 or 4 when the LA quake hit in '94. I was suprised that nothing in my house even moved. We heard some neighbors plates and cups breaking , but thankfully only our cabinet doors opened. It was a fun expeirience.

On a disney note, I did read that Disney had to close practiaclly all attractions after it hit, and most didn't reopen. Could you imagine being on space mountain and thninking "This shaking isn't supposed to be happening, right?"
club33az
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather live in an area that's prone to any natural disaster than live in an earthquake or volcano zone. At least with the other disasters, you get a heads up! "Hey, there's a hurricane coming! Get out!" With earthquakes, no warning and no idea how big it will be.
Surprised
No thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: