Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Losing the NY Store...

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Losing the NY Store...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Losing the NY Store... Reply with quote

Ran across this while perusing the news (from Newsday.com):

"Disney store on Manhattan's 5th Avenue is closing

August 11, 2008

NEW YORK - The Walt Disney Co. plans to close its World of Disney store on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue when the lease expires in 2010 and replace it with a smaller store elsewhere in the borough.

Spokesman Gary Foster says the company behind such lovable characters as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Winnie the Pooh and the "Toy Story" and "High School Musical" movies is scouting locations for the new store.

World of Disney stores like the one on Fifth Avenue near St. Patrick's Cathedral are operated by Disney's parks and resorts division and are bigger than the chain stores operated by the consumer products division. The new store will be part of the chain.

The Disney stores sell products including toys, clothes and games.

Disney used to operate a store in Times Square."

I don't know how this effects things overall...other than it might boost the store profits.

??????????

: )
DylansDisneyDad
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might give The Disney Store some "muscle" as it negotiates/renegoiate leases. It may also become a prototype for other "big box" Disney Stores where WDW has good penetration as a vacation destination. The larger urban locales could be the front door, so to speak, for those planning vacation to The World.

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article states they are searching for another location in NYC, just not such pricey real estate.

I also read it will happen in 2010.

: )
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna and I were in southwest FL over the weekend for a wedding. We didn't get to the parks, but there is an outlet mall near Ft. Myers that has a Disney character store. It is in the Miromar outlets just off of I-75. It is Disney park merchandise, some of it marked down a lot. We bought t-shirts at 25% off park price and a few other things at 50%. They had a decent selection and had some merchandise from the NYC store as well as MGM merchandise. They also carry park passes.

We also took advantage of the lowest WDW ticket prices I have ever seen at the AAA office in Naples. I've checked around at local AAA and online at other ticket sellers. This place has the best prices. Check Mousesavers for a link to AAA South.
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! I absolutly loved this store! There was merchandise on the first two floors, but the 3rd floor was like an art gallery.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimHillMedia.com has article about this very thing....

While Disney is not going to renew the lease on their current place.... according to the article, they are looking at the soon to be vacated Virgin Megastore in Time Square. Which, also according to the article, is right in the middle of the the ABC network studios and several theaters that are hosting Disney broadway productions... All of which are very attractive to Disney, not to mention being in the heart of Time Square....

So while some may not like the move, it may work out to be the best thing Disney could do!

Click Here for the article
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like it could be a better location. And Locations is a big thing in running a store...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: