Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - A disney channel aimed @ tween boys

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

A disney channel aimed @ tween boys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DylansDisneyDad
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: A disney channel aimed @ tween boys Reply with quote

There has been some chatter about niche channels back in the day on cable. Can't get more specific than this! LOL.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney7-2008aug07,0,6413232.story

Seems like a good concept IF carried out well.

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tween channel for boys...

good idea, but why are thy struggling with what to show? Walt had that answered back in the 50's... Action, Sci Fi, Sports.

Update Zorro, Swamp Fox, Hardy Boys. Bring back Jet Jackson... More Kid spy shows. Pirates? (They may know of a few pirates they could use...) A Jungle Explorer, a Haunted House investigator? Maybe a space exploration? Make some Heinleen based movies ir series.

Seems to me the issue is more making a decision and not being afraid to get a little burned if one of the shows does not quite turn out right.

Boys have not changed interests that much... Worse comes to worse. They still like girls... and Disney has had a few of those around over the years. And a few of them even stayed respectable over the years.
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks. Well, so much for ToonDisney, but at least the company's trying to put
a little more thought into how to reach a wider audience.

As I've said before, I always look forward to something new-not necessarily different-on
television, so it may be worth looking into.

On a weird sidenote: Isn't/wasn't abcFamily supposed to be another 'niche' Disney channel? Maybe "Kyle XY" and "Greek" will be moving. Then we'll really have some-
thing to talk about Wink .

Later. Peace.
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pirates of the Caribbean show for sure. I adored the 1st pirates of the caribbean when it came out and i was 11. Now im 16 and i still think its a great movie. a show with those reoccuring characters could be big for that age group.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good space adventure would be good as well. and bring back something like Johnny Tremaine....
Dyemooch
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU so much for this news! As a kid-at-heart, I love watching cartoons and all these crazy things aimed for kids- and I can definitely see the frustrating in trying to capture a male/boy audience when your channel(Disney Channel in this case) showcases so many titles that appeal to young women and girls.

I'm with the others in hoping that this means we'll see updated versions of older Disney programing that once caught the imaginations of young boys back in their glory days(I know that term is a little "much" in this case; seeing as how Disney constantly sees "glory days).
I would also love to see classic Disney shows make a come-back; maybe something for the night-owls- the adults who clearly watch the channel with hopes of recapturing that youthful energy they once(or still do) had(have).

Now, I haven't been around to see a lot of these classic shows that some of you other members have had the fortunate pleasure of catching, but I certainly would love if Disney would also try to get back their older viewers by establishing a "classic" Disney channel... I'd hate to see classic shows be neglected; a lot of Disney's more "Adventurous" programming happened before my time(the 80's), if I'm not mistaken...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Hill has more specific information regarding this new network channel: Disney XD

You can read the article here: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/11/06/disney-xd-aims-to-be-where-the-boys-are.aspx
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased Disney noted that their offerings tended to be one-sided and is looking to level the field.

One reason I felt it was this way is the ability to pair the shows with merchandising. While i like the idea of the shows, I'm not sure if there is as much cross-marketing merchandising potential with offerings for boys...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: