Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - To chat or not to chat...PLEASE VOTE!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

To chat or not to chat...PLEASE VOTE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we keep the Chat Module?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: To chat or not to chat...PLEASE VOTE! Reply with quote

As you know, we've been holding scheduled chat sessions for quite some time (except during the summer months). For quite some time now, we've had a very limited participation in chat.

The licensing for Chat comes up soon and we need to know how you all feel about using the donation dollars to renew a feature that is being underutilized.

So, please answer the poll and even give us your feelings for your answer.

Thanks!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saying yes to keep this. Although I have some reservations.

The feature is under utilized and from that perspective it is not a good use of funds that could go to another area. Financially minded I'd have to vote to eliminate it.

On the other side of the argument, the chats do a lot toward the feeling of community the site brings forward. While I can not make as many of them as I'd like, the Chats do bring the folks together and give a feeling of community to the site, that the forums just can not do by themselves.

And some of the chat features while not used heavily are great features to the site. The concept of the guest chatters is unique and adds a lot to the site.

With out knowing where you would reallocate the funds, I'd have to say I think the potential loss outweighs the potential gains.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else has a verbal opinion on this? If we don't get more of a response here, we're going to move the thread to the public forum so everyone can vote, but we'd rather keep it here for all of you to decide.

PLEASE help us out.

Thanks.

eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saying no not because I do not love chat. The fact is if we can utilize the funds else where I think we should. As it is chat is draining when no one shows up. It is difficult for the Admins/Mods to get up for something that ends up to be a solo event. I am not pointing fingers as I have not been able to attend as often as I should or like to. But the special chats ie, Guest, Media and trivia does take prep time and that time could also be utilized elsewhere on the site. Once again I love chat but If it is not going to be used I say ditch it.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ahve to say no. Let it go. I haven't been able to get to a chat in probably over a year with my schedule. As far as the guest chats, I'm really not knowledgeable about most of these people so there is no draw for me there. I have only read one of the transcripts. The same goes for trivia chats. I would just be demonstrating my lack of knowledge.

I do appreciate all the work people put in setting up special chats. But based on participation, it would be best to use the funds elsewhere.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have an opinion?

kray
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a chat room person, but understand its draw for others.

Thanks for all your hard work on this site - UAB makes my work day sooooo much better Smile
jahosifatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a hypocrite for voting keep chat seeing as I have MIA for awhile. What if we were to pick another day?
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love the idea of the chat feature, I have only ever been able to get to a handful over the past year or so. My schedule usually didn't match up with the times of the chats. That being said, the times I did make it were great, as I was able to have a real conversation with the rest of you and get to know you all a little better then just reading the posts here on the site. I know there was an afternoon chat awhile back, but as most of us are on at work during the day, that is hard thing to get away with. Overall, I love the idea, but I don't know if we have enough people to utilize the feature to make it financially feasible. I agree that the funds should be put towards something else. I think we can save the chat feature until membership is way up and it will be used on a constant basis.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
I feel like a hypocrite for voting keep chat seeing as I have MIA for awhile. What if we were to pick another day?

I am like you jahosifatz. Yet I said drop it. If a different day would be better then I am all for trying it what do others think?
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last day we can renew is the 13th.

Please keep the discussion going. I too am torn about whether we should keep it or drop it. Like Jason said, if there's a better night for chat and people like it, maybe we should keep it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I remember back in the day we used to have the weekly chat on Friday nights.... then a spontaneous chat session starts on Monday night and then all chats were migrated to Monday nights....

Maybe a move back to Friday night be better for most people....
jahosifatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for trying Fridays. Now that it's about 10 degrees outside we don't go out as much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: