Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Christmas Cake Idea

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Christmas Cake Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Christmas Cake Idea Reply with quote

So mrsguru usually does the majority of her yearly baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Usually we do pound cake and banana nut bread for Christmas, but we decided to try something different this year. She found this great recipie for Gingerbread cake where the main ingrediant is Guinness!

Yup, gotta love a cake that uses beer (especially Guinness) as the main ingrediant! We made our first cake tonight (one down, three more to go) and it was EXCELLENT! Since I know there are quite a few members of the site that also indulge in my obsession with Guinness, I wanted to share the recipie with everyone:

Prep: 15 min.; Bake: 35 min.; Cool: 1 hr., 10 min. You'll need about 2 (12-oz.) bottles stout beer for this recipe.
Yield

Makes 12 servings
Ingredients
2 (14.5-oz.) packages gingerbread cake mix
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups stout beer, at room temperature, divided
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
Garnishes: toasted pecans, rosemary sprigs
Preparation

1. Stir together gingerbread cake mix, eggs, and 2 1/2 cups stout beer in a large bowl until combined. Pour batter evenly into 2 lightly greased 8-inch square pans.

2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool.

3. Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup stout beer, beating until blended after each addition. Beat 1 minute or until light and fluffy.

4. Spread stout buttercream between layers and on top of cake. Garnish, if desired.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix. We used Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout at one testing and Guinness Extra Stout beer at another.

daguru's note: we used Guinness Draught instead of Extra Stout)

Source: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1662840

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I always heard of "Irish Soda Bread". Now an "Irish Guinness Bread"?
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tasty. I'll have to try this. I bet it's good to chase a glass of Jameson with.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, it even has Guinness in the icing! We tried some with icing that night, fabulous!

mrsguru is not the biggest fan of Guinness (yeah I know, it's a struggle for me, Wink ), so she played with the recepie, cut the amount of Guinness in the cake to 2 cups (substituted milk for the missing 1/2 cup) and it still came out very good!
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figmentathm wrote:
Sounds tasty. I'll have to try this. I bet it's good to chase a glass of Jameson with.

Rolling on Floor Laughing The thought that any Guinness in Frank's house would ever make it in to
cake batter . Drink Now that's funny. Rolling on Floor Laughing
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might make it isn't the mix, but never into the pan or oven... I can see Frank begging Donna to lick the beaters, while they are still mixing! HAHAHA!!!
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't come here to be made sport of.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh....oooh, I can see Frank with his tongue stuck between two mixer beaters, Donna calling the ambulance. Like that A1 commercial with the guy who licked the drop off the hot grill.....

Aw come on Frank, you know we all love you (well, some at least Wink ) Smile Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: