Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Hollywood sightseeing?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Hollywood sightseeing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hollywood sightseeing? Reply with quote

I know some of you live in the LA area, and even more of you make pilgrimages out there for DL, so here goes. Next month is our semi-annual Girls' Weekend, and this time we're going to Disneyland and Hollywood. The problem is, we have a full day planned for a Hollywood-type thing, but don't really know what to pick. Any suggestions on good studio tours, attractions, etc? We're a motley crew ranging in age from 31 to 60, but we're pretty adventurous and up for anything (our last Girls' Weekend to New Orleans involved vampires and a lot of Hurricanes).

I don't care what we do, since I'll be happy just to be at DL. Very Happy Thanks!!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be in DL in Feb and have planned a trip to the Warner Bros. Studio. They offer a VIP tour for $45 and a Deluxe Tour for $195 (the Deluxe tour includes a visit to a live set and lunch in the same area as the stars!). We decided to splurge on the Deluxe Tour.

There is the Disney Soda Fountain (which is attached to the El Capitan). You could catch a flick at the theater and then get an ice cream Sunday at the soda fountain.

You've also got Gramman's Chinese Theater (right across the street) and the Walk of Fame. I also know they have bus tours of different things in the area too.

That's all we've done, but we've only been to Hollywood once (to visit), and we plan on more when we're there in Feb.

Good luck and have fun!

eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound like a joke but if you are going to the down town area of LA ie the walk of fame area. Go early and don't stay too late. Let's just say it is not the nicest place in the city as the day gets latter. Daveypoo had some good ideas the whole El Capitan area is good and touristy. The Kodak theater is right down the street from the Chinese and all the stars are in that area. This will only take a few hours to take in if you add a studio tour that should fill up your day or take in a movie at the Chinese or El Cap would be a cool deal too. Remember that nt all studios are located right there in the "Hollywood" Area. One more quick note that there is no city named Hollywood. but there is a North Hollywood this is not the area you are looking for. You want Hollywood Blvd.. It is fun I hope you have a great trip.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, y'all. It sounds like we'll make the whole walk of fame/Mann's stop a quickie - get out, take some pics, and move on. I looked into studio tours, but everything is weekday-only, except for Universal, and we're there over a weekend. Otherwise, the Warner Brothers VIP tour sounds great.
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you cruise down to Melrose Ave for a stop in some of the wildest shops in LA. Between La Brea and La Cienega...for a great hot dog...stop by Pinks...just ask...everyone knows where it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ellory isn't pinks where the stars go for hot dogs like ruth buzzy and jay leno?

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
eatmon74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaron you are right everyone goes to Pinks. They are very good and very Famous. The line to get a hotdog can sometimes rival that of Sorain at Epcot on a busy day. Well ok not that bad but still quite a line does form.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...maybe we'll take a ride over to Pinks when we're there in February. Could make for a nice dinner!

redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a documentry about hotdogs from around the country and pinks was one of the places they went to and jay leno and ruth buzzy were interviewed that day

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinks is awesome. In n Out is unparalleled. Make sure to drive up Mulholland and look out over the city.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! Ellory, we drove by Pinks but the line was longer than anything we saw at Disneyland! We had a fun time - the highlight of Hollywood was the Hollywood History Museum in the old Max Factor building. The old costumes on display were incredible, and the old Art Deco architecture of the building was as impressive as the displays. We drove down Sunset Blvd. through Beverly Hills, went to Venice Beach for the sunset.... a fun day. Disneyland was fantastic - we knew it was going to be a good day when we ran into Mickey, Minnie and Donald as soon as we walked in the gate. It was empty in the morning - we walked right onto the subs, and most of the rides in Fantasyland. I finally saw the Aladdin show at CA...wow, the hype is worth it! Smile
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth, that sounds like you guys had a great time! Did Figment make the trip with you? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Figment at home... it was a girls' weekend, after all. Wink Plus, I figure he'll visit a SoCal resident before long, so they can take him on his first trip to DL.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soounds like a great trip! MEet any ghosts along the way??

: )
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ghosts, but we had a funny moment driving from Lompoc to LA on Friday night. The sun was setting out over the ocean and there were these bright silver streaks of light hanging in the air. We were all like "Oooh, UFOs!" Very Happy I told my husband and he explained about suspended ice crystals and how they can reflect light. Well, darn, I wanted to be on one of those Sci-Fi Channel documentaries.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: