Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Temp Replacement for Virgin Megastore

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Temp Replacement for Virgin Megastore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Temp Replacement for Virgin Megastore Reply with quote

As some of you probably already knew, but the Virgin Megastore at DTD closed a little while ago. While there are a ton of theories on what is going to replace it (Apple Store, ESPN Club, AMC Imax Theater, etc...), Disney announced a short term replacement:

Princess Diana's dresses to be displayed at Downtown Disney

Downtown Disney will host an exhibition of Princess Diana's dresses beginning in early July and running through November 2009. "Diana -- The People's Princess" will be next to DisneyQuest, in the building that until recently housed the Virgin Mega Store. It's presented by The People's Princess Charitable Foundation Inc.

Some of the items on display:

+ The black velvet V neck, designed by Bruce Oldfield and worn by Diana for her official royal portrai in 1985.

+ A 3-foot doll of Diana as a young girl, which was released by the Great American Doll Company in 1998 as a tribute to Diana.

+ A figurine of Diana in an exact replica of her wedding dress.

+ It's one of the largest collections of royal dresses, Disney says, and will include five rarely seen dresses worn by the princess.

The exhibit also covers her childhood, her wedding, life in Kensington Palace, her role as mother of Prince William and Prince Harry and the Christie's "Sale of the Century," in which 79 of Diana's dresses were sold to benefit charities.

Tickets will be available at the exhibit, which will be open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily. Admission will be $14.50 general and $5 for ages 3-9/

Tickets may be purchased at the exhibit – $14.50 (ages 10 and above), $5 (ages 3-9). The exhibition will be through Nov. 30, 2009. Hours are 11 a.m.-11 p.m. daily.

Source: Orlando Sentinel Blogs; http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2009/06/disneyprincessdianadressesdowntowndisneyvirginmegastore.html

It is nice that something is going to be there and the space will be used, but I am not sure that this going to be succesful. Are people on vacation, who are probably already cash straped) going to pay to see the exhibit?
mickeem
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it sounded like a great short term idea, until I read that it would cost 14.50.. OK, charity, i get it.. not a problem.. but that's just about $30 for just 2 adults, not to mention anyone with 2 kids... And your right, should you spend that on food, or go to see some items from Princess Diana??

Hmm... will it draw a crowd?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want to spend either the time or the money to go see this, but... I suspect my wife would, so yes I think they will get quite a bit of business. It may be older couples, or Mom's dragging their hubby and kids, but I suspect folks will go see it.

Considering the alternative is the store sitting empty, I see no reason not to give it a try. You would think this would have been a better temporary exhibit at EPCOT, but I guess that would kill the charging 15 a pop....
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orlando Sentinel Blog has a review and some photos from the new Princess Diana exhibit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: