Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney testing new FastPass Option at DAK

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney testing new FastPass Option at DAK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Disney testing new FastPass Option at DAK Reply with quote

Disney's test of centralized FastPass distribution at Animal Kingdom

Disney currently is testing the concept of centralized FastPass station at Animal Kingdom. When I visited yesterday afternoon, there were six machines in operation in the area that once was the FastPass distribution area for It's Tough to Be a Bug. Three attractions were available at two stations apiece. You could get passes for Dinosaur, Expedition Everest and the Kilimanjaro Safaris. You could still get FastPasses at those individual attractions as well.

Remember, this is a test and a work in progress. Certainly, signage would be better and it would be listed on guide maps were it to become reality.

Another bugaboo, to me, was that you could not tell what time you were going to get BEFORE you put your ticket into the machine or what the current wait time was at that attraction. (The cast member there was happy to tell me the times it was currently distrubting, but that's labor-intensive.).

I liked that the machines were designated by logo of the attraction, although the Dino Institute design doesn't scream DINOSAUR like the Everest or Safaris signs. And they were low to the ground and hard to see if someone were actually using the machine.

FastPass is confusing enough to newbies, and the cast members spent a lot of time there explaining how it works and how this test is working. Of course, there were people trying to get FastPasses for It's a Bug's Life there still.

I got a FastPass for Everest, and it told me to arrive at 12:40 p.m. I think walked over to Everest, which took five minutes or so, and the FastPasses there were being distributed for 12:55. Made sense.

I'm not a huge FastPass fan, though my fellow Rangers can't live without it. What exactly Disney is testing for is not clear. However, a front-line cast member pal of mine is totally in favor of centralizing FastPass. He says he spends untold hours at the entrance explaining to guests how FP works (and measuring the height of kids, but that's another problem, one that he wants to wristband kids for.).

What do you think? Would centralization help or cause an even bigger logjam? Or do you believe something ELSE is in the works? Would you allow Disney to put a chip in your head? Discuss.

Source: Orlando Sentinel Blogs; http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2009/07/disney-animal-kingdom-fastpass-test-expedition-everest.html

Sounds interesting and I agree with the blogger's post about the cons regarding the current test. But then again, this is a test.... I wonder if this has more to do with the rumored "pay for FastPass" program more than it does a true centralized FastPass distribution.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't go with the pay for fast pass. Universal does that, and it really causes some backups in lines.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Fast Pass because it's too much walking: you walk halfway across the park to get a pass, walk somewhere else, then have to walk all the way back when your time comes up. I figure the time I spend walking back and forth is close to the time I'd spend waiting in the standby line, so I may as well wait. A centralized system would at least make that easier. A Fast Pass that grouped attractions geographically would be great to minimize all the criss-crossing through the park.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think adding a centralized location is a good idea... as long as it does not replace the ones at the attractions themselves. Talk about walking to get Fast Passes, if they remove the ones at the attractions that you are constantly walking to and from the central location.

Usually when we do Fast Pass, we plan it out so that we can get a Fast Pass for one attraction and then ride another one (while waiting for the Fast Pass Return Time), Example: Get a Fast Pass for Splash Mountain while waiting in line for BTM. Some times this works and some times it does (like for TSM when there is nothing else nearby)...

Screamscape has posed an update:
Park News - (7/28/09) Screamscape sources tell us that the new FastPass Central area at Animal Kingdom is likely to stay open until Mid August or so, and then may return sometime near the end of the year for the winter holiday crowds. I’ve also been told that it seems the “abuse” setting has been turned off on some of these specific machines, allowing you to get a Kilimanjaro Safari FastPass and then walk over to the Dinosaur machine here to get one for it as well without having to worry about the 1 hour window rule. This only applies to those two rides however as the Everest machines will still block you as normal.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I can imagine all the running around this will save... My feet and 40 year old legs thank you.... I hope these are scattered all ovr the park .... I do think they will put in some sort of digital diplay above the kiosk showing return times just as if you were at the attration itself getting it. Bravo Disney!! Keep working on it you are almost there.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of getting a fastpass for multiple attraction in a single place.

But rather than cetralizing it... I would think that it might be better if the machine asked you which attraction you wanted when it gave you the pass. That would make ALL fastpass machine capable of servicing all rides. So you could use a centralized one by the gate or use one by the closest attraction.

It would need an accurate sign giving you the current return time and the current wait time, but a simple LED sign could display that right out of the computer. The computer has the info anyway.

Right now the system restricts the number of fastpasses you can have out per ticket at a time. If they were centralized would that cause issues for folks?

I like fastpass where it makes my schedule easier, but I won't use them just becauser they are there. And I sure won't pay for them. You give Disney enough money to get in the park. Charging for fastpasses is the same as saying the wealthy can buy better service than the middle or lower income folks. Yeah.. that would make vacation fun.

I can see limiting fast pass to resort/DVC guests... but even there I have reservations...
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A centralized place for Fastpasses is good, paying for them is bad. Giving the resort guests...hmm...interesting. What if you had access to a machine at the resort that you could get fastpasses a few hours from that time while you are at the resort. Just think about it, you're planning your day, get some fastpasses before you leave the hotel, head to the park and start your day. A little while later, time for your fastpasses and you're ready to go! A little perk for the resort guests that the day-trippers would not get.

Interesting....

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea a whole lot better than the paying for them idea...
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, instead of waiting in a long line at the ride, you wait in a long line for a FASTpass?

I'd rather pay.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying for the fastpass is a horrible idea. It creates two classes of people. First they raise the price so middle class people must work twice as hard to afford the vacation and then they tell them to wait in longer lines because the rich people are more important. As Hook would say "Bad Form".

The fastpass system is broken right now anyhow. Too many of them are given out and the queues are not designed to ahndle them. They need to adjust them so that the wait line still moves and they need to rip out and redesign those themed queues so that they can handle both. Otherwise you have the situation where all that theming is going to waste and in many instances the wait line is unable to use the whole queue because they merge too far or too near to where the queue is best suited to allow it.

If they want to include a free fastpath book for 1 or 2 rides to each resort guest, fine, but charging for the use of then simply pulls the assorted lint from most peoples pocket. What ever happened to leaving the guest with a little bit of gas money for the ride home?
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Form indeed!! Sad I would also like to say that they need to keep in mind Walt's original vision was a place where "FAMILIES" can go together everyone included. If you seperate the fastpass and make it a pay option you will be creating a "class" and that is wrong. I know alot of my disney friends that go (me included) save specifically for our trips and have everything to the penny thought out. By adding a pay fastpass it would alienate more people. just my 2 cents
jahosifatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still pay. It works great for Halloween Horror Nights. The only way you can see everything in a night is to either buy a VIP tour ($$$$) or a Frightpass. They also sellout immediately.

If it takes a few extra dollars to infuse some cash into WDW, I'd be happy to help.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a pay option is not really fair. There are families that scrimp and save to make a trip, pinching every penny they can get their hands on. Let's face it, the parks are not cheap, and by raising admission prices without getting something in return, they are just gouging the guests. At some point, that will bite them in the...red short pants.

Now, having said that, I do not disagree that Resort Guests should get something a little extra, since they are giving more to Disney than the day visitors staying in other places. It shouldn't be something that makes it bad for other guests, just makes it a little better for resort guests.

But honestly, many people don't understand fastpass, they already think it costs extra, and it's not really utilized to its fullest by all guests. And if they did start to charge for something that is currently free, I think people would go nuts.

Just my 2 cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: